One Last Chance

Bad News

~Francesca’s P.O.V. ~

‘For God’s sake, change the music!’ I looked back over to my twin brother Jeremy, who was wrinkling his nose at me. He was now extra grumpy because he usually got to sit at the front of the car, but I beat him to it. ‘Oh get a life Jeremy! I never get to listen to my own music in the car!’ Walking Contradiction by Green Day was playing in the car as we made our way to the hospital. Even though Jeremy and I were identical twins, we hated what music the other listened to. I was very much into Green Day, but I also liked Nirvana, U2, ACDC and JET. Meanwhile, Jeremy listened to Motorhead, Marilyn Manson, and Led Zeppelin.

‘Well, anyway, Green Day just copied My Chemical Romance!’ Jeremy argued, expecting me to come back with some pitiful remark. ‘No they didn’t! Green Day started in the 90’s while MCR came around in 2001.’ Jeremy looked to my Uncle Greg, who was driving, to back him up. ‘Afraid she’s right Jerry.’ He said, a chuckle rocking his shoulders. Jeremy mumbled and kicked the back of my chair, but I knew he would be nice to me later.

Now you might be wondering why a normal bunch like us are driving over to the hospital. It’s a requirement in me and Jeremy’s lives. You see, we both have leukaemia. We were diagnosed at almost the same time as kids, and so we have to go see our doctor Charlie for checkups. He is like a third father, Uncle Greg being the second. Our parents were killed in a fire that destroyed the pub they were in. So since then Uncle Greg, along with our Aunt Samantha, has taken care of us.

We pulled into the car-park, and made our way inside. The lobby was depressingly familiar; with white everywhere, from the floor to the walls and furniture. The lady at the counter let us go into Charlie’s office, where he was sitting waiting for us. Charlie was short and round, with a smart face and small glasses. ‘Francesca! Jeremy! Lovely to see you again.’ He said, giving us a hug. But I noticed there was something wrong. He looked pale and strained, which was very unlike him.
He did the usual stuff, checked our muscles, blood pressure and temperature. He said that he noticed that we had slightly built up some muscle, though we were unusually pale. Then he sat down at stared at us sadly. ‘What’s wrong Charlie?’I asked, his sad eyes, which were usually bright, dark. ‘Well, I just got your last test results back from the lab.’ He started. I felt Jeremy put an arm around my shoulders, his face growing impossibly pale.

‘What are the results?’ My uncle asked nervously from the back of the room. Charlie took off his glasses, and stared at the floor. ‘It’s not good my dears. Not good at all. It turns out that... you two haven’t got long.’ I gasped in shock. I knew that eventually I was going to kick the bucket, and I had spent all my life preparing for it, but now?

‘How long?’ Jeremy asked. Charlie continued to stare at the floor, and I saw a tear roll down his cheek. ‘How long is it?’ Jeremy asked again, with more force. There was a loud silence that filled the room. Eventually Charlie’s voice broke the quiet. ‘At least a month.’
Those words shot me through like bullets. I felt the blood move through my skin coldly. I really was going to die. And there was nothing I could do about it. This realization made me burst into tears, and cry my heart out on Jeremy’s sleeve. I felt Uncle Greg hug our shoulders, his sobs making my heart break into microscopic pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just came up with this story, but I hope you guys enjoy it anyway. There is a possibility that I will get impatient and put up another chapter later in the day!