Belonging

Chapter 1

“The most important thing to a lot of people, is to belong to something that's hip or whatever. To be a part of something that's not society, just a clique.” Ric Ocasek

“Welcome to the team, Agent Sullivan.” Aaron Hotchner plunked a file of paperwork onto her desk and walked away. Kate Sullivan sighed as she opened the folder. If the first ten or so pages were any indication, each sheet of paper would be printed on both sides; she’d likely be at her new desk all night. Welcome to the team indeed.

Deciding not to waste any more time internally complaining about the paperwork, she began filling out and reading. Before she knew it, it was time to go grab food, meaning several hours had passed without her realization. She set the papers she had gone through to the side and stood up. As she turned to walk away from her desk, she collided with a very muscular figure.

“I am so sorry,” she said brushing her hair out of her face. The figure was now a human being, a very attractive one at that. His dark skin showed no signs of imperfections and he had the perfect amount of stubble; just enough to seem rebellious, but not enough to look like he was on his way to becoming a lumberjack.

“That’s okay, beautiful. You must be Kate Sullivan.” He smiled and extended his hand. Kate took it in her own hand and shook.

“Uh, yeah.”

“I’m a profiler, it’s my job to know,” he smirked, noting her confusion.

“Well then, I guess I am horrible at my job.”

He laughed. “Derek Morgan.” The name sounded familiar. Agent Hotchner probably said it when he was telling her about the team. She should’ve paid attention, but all she could hear was her heart pounding, and the only thing she could think about was trying to keep her breakfast down. “Are you heading to lunch?” She responded with a yes. “Great, you can join me and my baby girl Garcia.”

Garcia was another name that sounded familiar. But, she could’ve been wrong. She doubted Morgan would call a co-worker his “baby girl.” They both headed to the cafeteria where a buxom blonde was waiting for them.

“Hey there, Sweet Cheeks, who’s the cutie?”

“This is Kate Sullivan, our newest team member. Kate, this is Penelope Garcia, our technical analyst.” Kate felt like it was a joke being hired. She didn’t even know anything about the team. If she were competent at her job, she’d at least know their names.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you, Penelope,” she shook off any negative feelings and extended her hand.

Penelope shook her hand and invited her to sit. “Please, call me Garcia.” Kate sat across from her; Morgan walked around the table and sat next to her.

“Anything you need looked up while you’re in the field, Garcia is your girl. And I really mean anything. She is brilliant at the whole computer thing.”

“Stop, you’re making me blush,” she feigned sheepishness.

Kate stared at both of them. She was lost. Were they together or not? How did a relationship in this type of environment work out? Morgan noticed her staring and let out a small chuckle. “We’re not together. We just have a flirtatious relationship.” Damn, he was good.

“Sorry, I just haven’t really encountered any co-workers quite like you.”

“I take that as a compliment,” Garcia grinned. “Oh, Reid, come sit with us,” Kate turned as she waved over a tall, lanky guy. The guy, who had long wavy hair, made his way over and sat beside Kate. She couldn’t help but stare at him. He wasn’t normally the type that she was attracted to, the athletic Morgan types, but there was something about him. “Kate, this is Dr. Spencer Reid. Spencer, this is Kate Sullivan.”

He smiled nervously and murmured a hello. “Doctor? Jesus, how old are you?” Kate’s cheeks flashed a crimson color immediately. She hadn’t meant to sound so skeptical or surprised by this. Really, she was impressed. He couldn’t have been much older than her.

“29,” he replied quickly, clearly offended by her tone.

“I’m sorry, Spencer, that came out wrong. I’m honestly impressed. What do you hold a doctorate in?” Spencer scrunched up his brow, and a small smile played on his lips.

“Uh, I hold doctorates in chemistry, engineering, and mathematics, as well as BAs in psychology and sociology. And I’m also working on another BA in philosophy.”

“Color me jealous, Dr. Reid.”

Her best friend in high school, Melissa Laurent, was a genius. She didn’t need to try to pass her classes, but she tried harder than anyone else. Studying was her favorite past time. Kate liked to think that she provided a nice contrast. While she was also someone who didn’t need to try too hard to pass, unlike Melissa though, she rested on that. She did as little as possible to get by, leading to C’s and B’s throughout middle school. Whenever she was invited to a party, which was often, she’d persuade Melissa to join her. Melissa always made the “if I go you study with me” compromise. These compromises, usually made weekendly, helped Melissa socially and helped Kate maintain an A average in high school. Despite how open and honest she was with Melissa, from troubles at home to boyfriends that wronged her, Kate always kept one secret from her friend; her jealousy. She longed to have the drive, determination, and well-above-average intelligence that Melissa did.

“See, Morgan. Some people hold my intelligence in high regard.”

“I believe she was being sarcastic,” Morgan replied jokingly.

“Actually, I was being very sincere.” Spencer grinned as Morgan and Garcia exchanged looks. They knew something the other two agents didn’t, Kate was attracted to Spencer. Spencer was unaware, while Kate just hadn’t admitted it to herself yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is going to be a three part series. Each case will be one story with multiple chapters. Dedicated to Steph the Magnificent for being the best beta ever and just an all around awesome friend. Any feedback is really appreciated and responded to.

Favorite part of the chapter?
Least favorite part?
Any editing that needs done?
What do you think is going to happen in the future?
Suggestions?