Hate Is Easy; Love Takes Courage.

Only One.

Hate Is Easy; Love Takes Courage.

The tension in the normally warm, comforting house settled in like fog rising over the hills. No one said as word as the younger boy, Gage, let the tears take over and his body tremble. Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew it would be like this. His older brother, Malcolm, turned cold and stormed up the stairs moments after he uttered, so quietly, the phrase that was single handedly destroying his family. He took a look up at the people sitting in front of him, and instantly regretted it. His mother, Margaret, had a stormy look upon her face, banked on hiding her true feelings. His father, Clark, on the other hand, was quick to show what he felt. The look of hate flashed across his features and stayed put, clearly for the boy to see. They all sat quietly, not knowing what would make this better, not knowing what words to say that would possibly take away the feelings swarming in all of them. The confusion, anger, and hate that rose up inside, making their opinions what he had feared most.

Gage got up and put on his coat, desperately wanting to get away from the hate that burned immensely in the people he had grown to love with all his heart. It was those people that raised him, and made him who he was. He didn’t want to be cast away because of the little difference that set him apart. It was hard though, he knew that like he knew the back of his hand. He also, without a doubt, knew he was gay. He just didn’t understand the controversy over that simple fact.

The tears kept streaming down his face, unable to stop them, he let them fall. All he wanted was the approval of his family. He wanted that awesome feeling that he could make it. Nothing could make them understand where he was coming from, nor would they accept him right off the bat. He just had a little bit of hope that would be okay, but here he was walking down the street with the cold November air sweeping through his dusty blond hair. Here he was with all ounce of hope drained from this body. Here he was without any meaning to his being anymore.

Back at the house Clark and Margaret hadn’t moved from their spot on the couch. Both were so stunned by the boy’s sudden and rash actions, or more so, his words, that they hadn’t even thought about moving. They sat almost as if they were paralyzed or glued down to the pale crème colored couch. It was too much for the mother to bear as she let the tears flow. She wasn’t sure what to think. Was she supposed to believe him? Was she supposed to take it as a joke and figure everything was going to be okay? Somewhere deep inside her, the answer was dying to come out. The answer that maybe could solve everything that was taking over her insides, leaving her in much doubt. She looked over at her husband, and all that could be seen, was the anger on his face. He didn’t know what he could possibly do about the son he no longer had an interest in. He didn’t know how he could rid the pain that showed in his wife’s eyes. His left brow tilted, allowing the look of confusion swarm over. He didn’t care to hide them; his view on this situation was not going to suddenly change.

In his room, Malcolm cried. He didn’t exactly know what to feel, much less what to say. That was the reason his feet carried him to his bedroom and his hand locked the door after him. He felt like he was on the spot after his younger brother spilt the beans. He felt like there was nothing he could do to possibly change his way of life now. He didn’t understand how a boy like Gage could come to this. He was talented, and beautiful no doubt, but gay, too? It hardly seemed fair to the older, much wiser, child to even be close to true. His hands covered his eyes and wiped away more stray tears that kept falling. He didn’t know what to do.

Gage sat outside his home and watched through the windows as his family crumbled to pieces. The wave washed through his body, instinctively making him shiver. Whether it was from the cold, or the guilt, he wasn’t very sure. He watched his family cry, and storm around the house as if they wanted to kill someone. It was him they really wanted to kill. Even though he hadn’t been home for at least an hour now, they all seemed fine without him. He dreaded the second his feet walked through the doors. The house not seemed hollow and empty; much like the souls of those Gage still had to live with. He didn’t know how he was going to face those people he had given so much of himself to. He had given all he had, and when he needed them the most, they turned their backs.

Not a second after his feet entered through the white door, his parents gave him a look of disgust. His heart only faltered just a tad from the hate he was receiving. As much as he wanted to, he didn’t want to test the shaking, power, waters that are his mom and dad. “We are going to church tomorrow,” his mother managed to say. His older, now graying, father said, "If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."Those were the only two phrases that were said before he sounded his way past Malcolm’s bedroom and into his own. Crashing onto his bed, he really wanted to disappear.

The house into an eerie silence as all the members went into their own rooms, and into their own thoughts. Left alone to decipher what each separate one wanted to do. Margaret and Clark heavily discussed kicking him out, though, that was not the final decision. Now quiet, Gage could not hear the talks about him anymore. He didn’t think he could take it. Each one was like a stab to the heart. Malcolm just cried and cried. He was trying to figure out what he, as a brother and mentor, could have possibly gone wrong. He was trying to figure out what he could do to make it just a tad bit better. Drained from crying, he, too, fell asleep.

Gage still didn’t get it. “I am gay.” That was the phrase that ruined his life. It was the phrase that he thought, maybe, just maybe, would not hurt his parents, or his brother, this bad. Though, it was a phrase, which had all three of them running for the mountains like he was some kind of wretched disease. It pained his heart to not have the support rather the hate.

His eyes stayed wide as his mind wondered to all the good times. He thought about all the times that meant something to him and gave him some reassurance. That was what he wanted! He didn’t want the narrow-minded, quick to judge parents with Bible belt tunnel vision to cloud up the fact that he was still their son. Do they really fucking think that it's a choice, a way of life played by discrimination? He didn’t deserve the reaction he got, and Gage knew it. The failure to learn and accept him was going to slowly kill his family. He didn’t sleep a wink that night.

When morning rolled around, "Is this my fate!?" he asked them. They answered, condemning him to burn like the devils son. He was rejected, forsaken, for being fucking born. He couldn’t believe that this was still a question that needs an answer. A bigot's eyes judging lives based on the sex of who he would fuck were pushing him further away from the people he had known before all this.

It reality, he knew it wouldn’t change. The chance of his family accepting this, now in the open, secret was very slim to none. He couldn’t help but question if they will ever learn, if they will ever truly get what overwhelms him, and make him who he was. They will never get the basis of why he was how he was. They would never give him the chance. The hate poured out of their bodies, so easy to read. They all stood side by side mocking my sad facial expression with a look of happiness, glee. It was inevitable, he was hated here. He had to get out. They wanted him out.

Gage packed his things in a little bag, roughly three outfits while the clock showed, in bright red, 7:13. He took all the cash stored away in a little jar in his room with him as well. Without one look toward those he once called family, he took his final steps out of the house. He walked down the grass, and out onto the streets. He was now officially not their problem.

He didn’t know what to feel as he turned away from the house. He didn’t know what to feel as his bags sagged heavily on his shoulders. He didn’t look back, not once. He didn’t want to go back, not anymore. Because his family no longer cared, his family hated him.

His fate had been decided, and their minds were not going to change. He was not going to be stuck in this hell for years to come. Gage wanted them to understand what was going on in his mind. He wanted them to understand why and how he felt this way. They never would though, they just wouldn’t get it. So he did the logical thing, he walked away. He walked away from the new-found malevolence, with new-found hostility burning deep inside the cores of his family. He walked away from the venom that took over their bodies and minds. He walked away from everything he had ever known, to just now find out, that he didn’t know anything about them at all.

He walked all the way to the church a few miles away. It took him about an hour. Gage knew it was starting soon has people were beginning to show up. He took his seat across the street from the old, but quite large, building. The tears were still falling with no signs of stopping. No one even looked at him; they all minded their own business. He didn’t think they even noticed him. He wasn’t sure if he wanted them to, or not. He didn’t want their disapproval on top of those he’d already received.

He then saw a familiar car pull into the parking. They were running as always. It was almost as if everything was going to be back to normal. Clark, Margaret, and Malcolm stepped out of the sleek, black car, and strode to the front doors. Before entering, his father turned all the way around and stared straight into his youngest son’s eyes. It was clear Gage was a mess, it was clear he was taking this in the worst possible way. Clark had a look of disgrace adorning his face. He sent one final scorn to Gage; he then turned to Margaret and Malcolm. Neither of the other two had turned around, but the boys’ father whispered frantically to them. All three walked inside the church.

The boy’s heart had hit rock bottom before he even thought it would. He felt like a nuisance, he felt unwanted. He was being thrown away by his family, his family of all people. Those people that couldn’t welcome him for just how he is without serve consequences. Those people that couldn’t secure his well being in their arms because they were too stuck on their bitter, and shallowness. He was being rejected. He couldn’t do this anymore. With that being said, he turned, and walked out of this life.

He was done with the stupidity that was his family. He was done with the hate that ignited within. The smoke had clouded his family’s vision, his family’s radical morals. He was finished with them not granting his acceptance when he deserved so much more than that. He couldn’t stand the fact that he would never be good enough. He was done with the irrational errors that his parents would never see they made. He knew though, hate was easy; love takes courage. His family, obviously, doesn’t have any courage, but he does. He wasn’t going to let the hate control his life. He was going to find love at whatever cost.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3