Annabelle

Three

Enormous black clouds seemed to hover over the earth as large teardrops cascaded from the sky. Annabelle sat in the colorful table with the coloring books spread out across it. The smell of soap and sterilization lingered in the the air, making me shudder with every breath. The room wasn’t that crowded, a TV playing childcare tips non-stop. A young teenage girl seemed to be ignoring her mother as she spoke, more engrossed in her blackberry in her hands. The rest were new mothers, cradling babies in their arms. Memories flooded my brain as I could only smile at the thought of Annabelle being a baby again. She barely ever cried and had slept through the night almost always. It made things easier for the both of us.

“Annabelle Kingsley-Cooper?” A younger nurse spoke as she read the name off of her computer screen. Lifting my body from the stiff chair, Annabelle’s hand clung to my own quickly. She stood close to me as the nurse directed us to room twelve. Walking into yet another white room, I sighed once again. Doctor’s offices were definitely not my best friend.

“Doctor Riley will be with you momentarily.” the women said softly as I nodded, herself shutting the heavy wooden door. Seeing the medical gown on the plastic bed covered in paper, Annabelle cringed at the feel of the medical bed.

“Sweetheart, Please lets just get undressed and into this gown. You look beautiful in it.” I presuaded her as she just sighed, crossing her arms slightly.

“Mommy, its white and doesn’t feel soft. Do they have any prettier ones?” She asked as I laughed shaking up. Taking most of her clothes off, she slipped into the medical gown as I tied it to her small body. Helping her up onto the loud paper medical bed, a knock on the door echoed throughout the room.

“Ah, Ms. Kingsley! Nice to see you again, you too Annabelle.” Dr. Riley smiled as she shut the door. Putting down a file in her hand, she clicked open a pen and began writing. As she wrote I looked off to my left as Annabelle flinched as she touched her ear.

“Complaining of a sore ear?” she asked as I nodded, holding my daughters hand. The doctor took her temperature and the stuck with the normal routine. A small gasp escaped her lips as she placed the black microscope into her ears. I cooed comforting words into her ear slowly. Once Dr. Riley had finished the examinations, placing the black microscope back on the rack mounted on the wall. Annabelle harmlessly hummed the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song to herself, twirling her hair in her small fingers.

“She most definitely has a ear infection. I’m going to put her on antibiotics to ensure that the treatment goes smoothly.” She spoke as she pushed her glasses closer to her nose, scribbling a prescription down on a pad of paper. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as nervousness set in.

“What are the side effects?” I timidly spoke as she smiled softly over at me. Grabbing a bright pink slip out of a container near the sink, she handed it to me. Scanning the paper ever so carefully, I twisted the ring that sat loosely on my right ring finger, my eyes fluttering slowly.

“She’s old enough now that I’m sure she’s not allergic to Amoxicillin. If any of those symptoms to occur though, I’m just a phone call away.” she explained as I nodded, folding the paper and placing it in my purse. Gripping Annabelle’s small dress in my hands, Dr. Riley took out the famous lollipop jar. Annabelle’s eyes lit up instantly, glancing at me slightly as I nodded my head. She gripped her fingers around a bright orange one, holding it tightly in her hands.

“It was nice to see you Annabelle. Feel better soon. Oh and Audrey, I hope everything is going well.” She grinned as I nodded, thanking her. The large door shut loudly as let out a sigh. Taking off the large white dress, I pulled the dress over her head. After she’d put her tights and shoes on, we walked out of the doctors, Annabelle’s lollipop now in her mouth.

“Honey, can I see the lollipop please? I don’t want you choking in the car.” I asked as she huffed slightly before handing it to me. Placing it carefully into it’s wrapper, I unlocked the car. Annabelle struggled to open the back door, as I helped her.

“Thank you mommy.” She smiled before climbing into the backseat. A large pink unicorn stuffed animal sat in the other seat, already buckled in. Taylor had gotten it for her when she was born and she’d never go anywhere without it. Taylor always boasted about being the favorite Aunt, even though Sarah had always disagreed with her. Slipping into the car, I checked the backseat to make sure that she was buckled. For sure, her car seat was secure, Annabelle already coloring in her princess coloring book I’d gotten her last week.

“Want to go visit Auntie Taylor? She got a shiny new ring last week. I bet she’d love for you too see it.” I told Annabelle as she grinned nodding her head vigorously. Taylor had already started going over simple wedding plans. Tonight she was having an informal dinner with the bridesmaids and groomsmen. Being maid of honor, I was sure not to miss it. We were going to cook some homemade Lasagna and Chicken Pam. Her mother had left us her secret recipe, this time not helping us. Taylor’s family had been beyond amazing to me, helping me through the rough patches that have been my life for the last few years. Things had been gradually been getting much better over the past year. My income was finally steady, being able to fulfill my duties as a mother. Almost 4 years ago, my future didn’t seem clear. Without him, my future seemed as if it would never exist. I smiled only slightly, of how proud I know I was making him.

A mere Ten minutes later, I pulled my car into Taylor’s condo complex parking lot. I loved it out here. It was like your own house, not sharing a floor with multiple people. She even had a little garage, her bright blue prius sitting comfortably inside. Turing off the engine, it hissed slightly before simmering down. Annabelle attempted to unbuckle herself as I climbed out of the car. Opening the back door, she had successfully unbuckled herself.

“Good job sweetie.” I kissed her temple as I scooped her into my arm. Her hair flowed along with the breeze slightly, the rain finally seeming to come to a halt. lifting my purse up with my other hand, I locked the car as I headed toward Taylor’s house. Flowers sat neatly near the door, the pot decorated neatly. Ringing the doorbell, I head the pitter-patter of Roscoe's feet, the small yorkie barking at the sound. Moment’s later, Taylor greeted both of us with a smile, welcoming us into the house. Walking into the kitchen area, I put Annabelle down, along with my purse.

“I’m freaking out Audrey. How are we suppose to get all of this done in 2 hours? I need my mother!” She exasperated as she rubbed her temples looking at all of the food in front of her. Taking the list of food she’d needed off the counter, I read it carefully. Double checking everything, everything we needed laid on the counters.

“Relax Tay. Alright get the lasagna pans and preheat the oven. We can do this. Annabelle, can you help mommy and go make sure the living room is all clean?” I asked her sweetly as she nodded, both her and Roscoe heading into the living room. Concentrating back on the food, I took the lasagna pasta taylor had already cooked, ricotta cheese and sauce. She had started frying the chicken after dipping them in the batter she’d made the night before.

“I’m nervous for tonight, you know.” She told me as I looked up at her questionably. Taylor was always usually the one who was put together, even in stressful situations. She had her moments, but she was nowhere as bad as I was. If I was in her position, I would have probably would have just ordered pizza and call it a day.

“Your doing fine Taylor. Take a deep breath and just smile. I mean your fiance is lucky. Who makes homemade lasagna and chicken pam for them?” I winked as she laughed, her face turning red for only a few moments. Looking through the kitchen, Annabelle had found the Wii was on, clicking on Mario Cart. Taylor must have put it on before we’d arrived. Smiling, I continued with the lasagna pans. An hour later, four pans of lasagna and 25 breasts of chicken fried, pounded and now cooking in the oven, Taylor and I sat back and let out a sigh of relief. We both put the food away quickly, before having to get the dining room set.

“Around fifteen to twenty are going to be coming today. So ladies in the dining room, and the men can scatter.” She grinned as I laughed, shaking out the folded tablecloth. Neatly laying it down on the wooden table, Taylor brought over her red an yellow square plates. Helping her arrange them in a pattern, we both scooted back into the kitchen before the doorbell rang.

“That must be Jacob. Be right back.” Taylor mumbled as she practically flew past me, Roscoe's loud bark echoed throughout the house. Annabelle curiously peaked behind her, smiling over at me as she pointed to the TV. Her character had been hitting off road, but I still smiled.

“Great job Hon!” I softly spoke as I heard a deeper voice become closer every second. Jacob and I had only met a handful of times, but he seemed like a nice man. He was respectful and polite, and Taylor seemed like his perfect match.

“Ah Audrey! So nice to see you again.” He smiled as he pulled me into a light hug, flowers in his right hand. He handed them to Taylor after letting me go, herself smelling them in delight. Her cheeks went red as he smiled even wider, my heart sweltering at the love they had.

“Congratulations.” I smiled as he nodded, taking his overcoat off. He walked over to to the closet as Taylor released a squeal. Laughing lightly, she grabbed a vase out of the light cabinets, before filling it with water. Placing it on the island, I smiled as I was happy for her. She deserved this, and I was glad everything had played out for her.

“Can I borrow some clothes? I don’t want to be bumming this party.” I smirked as she rolled her eyes lightly. I was pretty sure I looked fine, but I wanted to make a good impression.

“You look fine babe. But if you insist, of course you can. What’s mine is yours. I’ll keep an eye on your princess for you.” She smiled as I thanked her quietly before slipping up the stairs. Her bedroom door was slightly open, her Zebra comforter visible. Shutting the door behind me, I head another doorbell ring, I slowly walked to the window overlooking the parking lot, seeing three women walking together, laughing slightly. Sarah stuck out like a sore thumb, her hand laying on her stomach as she walked in. Even though she was pregnant, she was barely grouchy. I was a hot mess during my pregnancy most definitely. Just as I was about to go back to rummage through Taylor’s dresser, a man stepped out of a sleek black car. He caught my eye slightly, his sunglasses laying over his eyes slightly. Skinny jeans hugged his body, a stripped shirt laying under a neat black leather jacket. Clean facial hair sat on his face, a slight smilessitting on his face. Who was he? As he headed toward Taylor’s house, I sighed before getting up. Looking through Taylor’s draw’s, I found a nice sweater, and a pair of jeans that show off the right amount of curves. Grabbing a necklace off her bureau, I checked my hair in the mirror one last time.

Heading down the stairs, conversations were heard, laughs filling the warm house. Annabelle sat at the counter with Sarah, eating a cookie Taylor must have snuck her from the snack drawer.

“There’s my lovely lady! We’ll don’t you look all dolled up.” Sarah smiled as she embraced me tightly. Laughing slightly back, I kissed Annabelle’s head softly, fixing her dress. Seeing that Cole and Allison were running around the living room, I picked Annabelle up and walked into the living room. Allison and Cole were the children of Taylor’s longtime friend Jodie. Annabelle adored Allison as they were around the same age.

“Annabelle, look Allison is here. Why don’t you two go play with Auntie Taylor’s dolls downstairs?” I questioned as she grinned lightly, Allison’s eyes lighting up. Jodie smiled up at me as the two girls scattered off to the game room.

“They get along so well. We’ll have to plan some more play dates.” Jodie grinned as I nodded, The man from earlier glancing over at me. I caught it out of the corner of my eye, but ignored it as nothing.

“Alright everyone! Thank you so much for coming today. Give a big thanks to my amazing maid of honor as well Audrey for helping my with this! I couldn’t do this without her. And to Jacob, the love of my life. So with that, Dig in! I know you men have a football game to catch on TV soon.” She smirked as I laughed lightly, Jacob only shrugging slightly. Getting out of the way of the people now surrounding the table, I headed back into the kitchen, grabbing the plate I had made earlier. Sitting down at the breakfast bar, I sat back and scooped some pasta into my mouth.
“Mind if I join?” A melodic voice asked as I spun my head around and almost dropped my fork. Mystery Man, as I now call him stood in front of me, almost more perfect close up. His deep brown eyes looked into my own, giving me a smile.

“Uh yeah, sure.” I spoke softly as he swiftly sat down next to me, placing his plate down on the table. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye again, my mind racing. I didn’t even know him. My plan of a quiet dinner seemingly escaped me.

“Now tell me, What’s a beautiful women like you sitting here all alone?” He questioned, the words rolling off my tongue. I swallowed loudly, sipping at my drink quietly, not making any eye contact.

“Mommy!” Annabelle’s voice rang loudly through the kitchen, my head whipping back as tears welded up in her eyes. I quickly got up from my seat. I scooped her up as she crowed her head into my shoulder.

“I didn’t know where you wen’t mommy. I thought you were with Auntie Taylor, but you wasn’t.” She sniffled as I cooed her as I rocked her back and fourth slightly. The tears streaming from her eyes slowly stopped, as I kissed her temple before sitting her down in the chair next to Mystery man.

“Baby I was just getting some food. I’m right here. Come on, lets get you something to eat.” I spoke softly as I cut up some of the chicken for her. She cautiously looked over at the man sitting next to her.

“Whats your name?” She questioned. He chuckled slightly before smiling over at her lightly. He turned his body, as he leaned down to her level.

“Joseph. But call me Joe. What’s your name? Your dress is very pretty.” He smiled as she smiled brightly. It was one of her favorite dresses I’d gotten her a couple of months ago, she begged me to buy it when she saw it. She said it had matched a pair of shoes she had perfectly. Of course I had to buy it for her.

“My names Annabelle. Mommy bought it for me. Its one of my favorites.” She giggled as he smiled back at her. He ruffled her hair slightly as I smiled down at him. Who the heck was this guy and where did he come from?

“Nice to meet you Audrey.” He winked my way as my stomach almost dropped. I just smiled back politely, and nodded. He was gorgeous. Even I had to admit it. Even so, part of my cringed at the idea. I felt as if he was watching.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gah. Updated. Comments please (:

-Tinaaa.