Annabelle

Seven

The day had been like any other ordinary day. My morning had consisted of dressing and feeding Annabelle before dropping her off at daycare. I even had enough money to squeeze in a coffee. By ten, the office was bustling with noise and phones ringing, the faint sound of guitars and voices coming from the back studio. Humming along to one of Katy Perry’s newer songs in the background, Taylor was typing away on the computer near the back of the room. I had just been organizing papers and bills that had come in the mail over the last few weeks. Typical Procedure was to scan the item, file it online to the appropriate folder and then file the original documents into the file cabinet in the lock closet. Sarah liked to keep things incase our systems crashed. We hadn’t had a problem to date, but the extra precaution would save a lot of time incase we needed some files for taxes.

“Hey Audrey, so what is going on with you and Joe? Jacob tells me he’s been chewing his ear off about you nonstop.” Taylor smirked over at me as I looked up quickly, my cheeks blushing only slightly. Moving the computer away from me, I moved the wheeled chair to face Taylor. Playing with the ring on my finger, I just sighed as I brushed away a stray hair from my face.

“Nothing. I mean we wen’t out this weekend to pick up a tree and get a few christmas decorations but nothing’s going on...” I trailed off as her lip curled slightly, before leaning back in the chair.

“Bullshit. He’s totally got a thing for you. Don’t tell me you didn’t have dinner with him. Did you?” She squeaked slightly as I laughed only slightly, biting my lip. After we’d brought home the tree and decorations from the store, we baked some christmas cookies and ordered chinese. Annabelle had put up a few decorations on the tree, but fell asleep in the process. Joe and I just talked and decorated the tree for a few more hours. He told me more stories about his brothers, and how moving out here had been hard for him.

“Maybe. And tell Jacob I’m kicking his ass. Joe is just a friend. Nothing more. I promise.” I spoke seriously as she threw her arms out slightly in defense.

“Alright, just make sure you invite me to the wedding--” she started saying before I cut her off abruptly. “Taylor!” my voice pitched slightly as an assistant walking by the door stopped and looked in with a questioning look. Just ignoring it, she went on her way as laughs irrupted from the other side of the office.

“Damn. People these days.” Taylor shook her head as I just laughed lightly before getting most of the things I had needed together for a meeting that I was due to attend any minute. A much as I would love to drink my coffee and talk with Taylor, I knew that I would get shit from Sarah if I didn’t go.

“Ugh. Don’t leave me!” She begged as I just smiled, fixing my skirt as I got my last binder that I needed.

“She’s interviewing that band from Seattle. They are probably going to need some writers for the CD if they pick the label. So sorry love!” I explained as I blew her a kiss, walking out of the office, heels clicking against the floor. Just as I walked up to the elevator, a third year Intern whom I’d worked with numerous times waved at me shyly. John had to be one of the most quiet interns we’ve had so far. He was a writer as well, and pretty damn good at his job. He was tall and handsome to say the least. I’d had a school girl crush on him a few years ago when we met working on an album.

“Morning Audrey.” His voice hummed as he clicked the elevator button, his finger tapping along his thigh as the bell went off; elevator doors opening. Smiling lightly at him, I stepped into the elevator along side him. Nodding back at him, I leaned against the metal rail as I pressed three on the shiny white keys.

“How’s that demo going with The Fye?” I asked as he smiled nodding over my way. The bell rang as the doors slowly creaked open, two women in suits standing off to the side on the floor. Stepping out with John, we both went right as I tightened my grip around the binder that I held in my hand.

“Its going actually surprisingly well. They might even consider most of the demo for a debut album. Its exciting.” He grinned sheepishly as I smiled back at him lightly, Conference room six now in my eyesight.

“Well it was nice talking to you. We’ll have to grab some lunch one day and catch up on things.” I spoke as he shook his head yes, as we waved me off, walking to the recording wing that was only down the hall. Taking in a deep breath, I slowly turned the door knob as around 20 people sat around a table, Sarah in the large chair at the head of the table. Quickly taking my seat after shutting the door, Sarah cleared her voice as the meeting had begun.

Three men sat next to her, most likely the band that this whole meeting was about. I mostly just doodled in my notebook and pretended to take some kind of notes- even though this meeting was mostly irrelevant to me. One thing did bother me however. Sarah seemed to wince of some kind of pain ever so often, as if she was attempting to keep her composure. I kept looking over at her with a look, but she’d just nod as if she was saying she was okay. I was more concerned since she was only six a half months pregnant. She was like this for around thirty minutes, and I tried to hold in asking her if she was okay. Just as I was in Mid-yawn, I scream came from the other side of the room. Shooting my head up immediately, A tear fell from Sarah’s eye, her head looking under the table. Shooting up from the other side of the room, I almost ran in the small room, pulling her chair away from the table. Under her, sat a pool of blood, Sarah clenching her stomach as screams irrupted from her lungs.

“Oh my god...” I whispered as I gripped her hand, pulling out my phone and dialing 911. People around me looked scared and stunned, some gasping as they looked down at the floor. Getting down to her level, I looked her in the eye. “Sarah stay calm just breathe.”

“911 what’s your emergency?” I women's voice responded as tears streamed down my face, Sarah’s scared eyes looking into my own.

“My friend, s-she’s around six months pregnant. She’s severely bleeding and has abdominal pains.” I talked as my voice cracked, scared shitless. It felt like hours, gripping my best friends had as she bled all over the floors.

“Is she having any sort of contractions? EMT’s are on their way to your location M’am. Keep her calm and make sure that she is awake. What floor are you on?” I swallowed as I took a deep breathe before looking back up at Sarah.

“She asked if your having feelings of any contractions. And I am on the third floor, conference room six. Tanya, call a code Blue!” I cried as she took a short, sharp breathe before nodding as tears brimmed in her tear ducts. Tanya, an assistant in the room just nodded before quickly scurrying out of the room.

“She said yes.” I told the women, as I finally heard sirens in the background. “Sarah they are here, your going to be okay. Breathe. Just breathe.” I told her as she just nodded again, tears hitting the floor in the pool of blood that just seemed to be getting bigger by the minute. It wasn’t long before the EMT’s entered the room, a stretcher and a bag of supplies with them. After telling the Dispatcher the EMT’s had arrived, I hung up and concentrated on my best friend.

“Audrey. Don’t leave me. And are my babies okay? Please tell me they’re okay.” Sarah struggled to say as the man and women lifted her into the stretcher, instantly putting a heartbeat machine around her stomach. As the machine went on, I almost breathed a sigh of relief as the machine was going off with a faint heartbeat. Even though it wasn’t strong, the babies were okay at the moment.

The EMT’s ran with the stretcher, as I held onto Sarah’s hand as blood tailed behind us until we got to the lobby. I didn’t notice anything around me, and I just concentrated on Sarah. As they got her into the back of the ambulance, the women stayed in the back as sat in a seat opposite of the EMT.

“Sarah, Do you know what blood type are you?” The women asked at She looked over at her, the ambulance now in motion as the sirens went off. The women ripped off Sarah’s shirt as she put blue gel along her stomach. Pulling out a small ultrasound machine, she flipped the switch as she looked at the images on the screen.

“Type A.” Sarah replied as she looked up at the top of the ambulance. Her face ached of pain, her fingers gripping her very pregnant stomach ever so often.

“Well it looks like the baby boy has a placental abruption. We won’t know for sure until after you deliver and we can examine the placenta. It looks like it’s completely separated from the uterine lining. Prepare for a C-Section sweetheart.” she sighed as Sarah looked up at me, her face suddenly turning ghostly white.

“You can’t! I’m only 29 weeks pregnant. The babies aren’t ready yet!” She suddenly shouted as I gripped her hand tighter, moving the bangs away from her face. I was scared for her as well. I’d seen some of the premature babies in the NICU, and it was hard to see. I’d been lucky enough to have a smooth sailing pregnancy, even in the mists of the drama I had durning that time of my life.

“If we don’t, You and your babies will die. We have some of the best doctors, you’ll be in good hands.” The EMT told her as I heard the ambulance come to a halting screech, doors automatically being opened. Doctors and Nurses were clumped together by the back of the ambulance. Doctors were shouting unfamiliar sayings and putting IV’s in her arm before I could even blink.

“Be brave Sarah. I’ll be right there in recovery with you, I promise.” I whispered as she nodded, her eyes seeming to flutter as if she was going to fall asleep. Next thing I knew the stretcher had practically been pulled out of the ambulance, Sarah’s hair the last thing I saw. Tears were now continuously streaming down my face. I slowly climbed out of the ambulance, The EMT giving my a sympathetic look as she wen’t over notes with a nurse whom was writing down various notes. Walking in the other direction to the hospital entrance, my stomach was tied in knots.

Picking up my phone, I scrolled through my contact list, my vision blurry from the tears brimming in my eyes. Putting my phone up to my ear, I entered the hospital, as the ringing suddenly stopped.

“Hello?” I tried to keep my sobs in, and sniffed a couple of times so I could keep my composure.

“I-I’m at t-th-e Hos-spital. I need you.” I whispered as I closed my eyes, practically collapsing on the couch that I’d reached in the main entrance. I knew god had a reason for doing everything. It brought me back to when I was in the hospital only years ago, facing the fact that the love of my life had been robbed from me. Even at my worst, God had a plan for me. Sarah wasn’t here because god hated her and wanted to punish her. I truly had believed that god had only done this to make her stronger.

[ &&& ]

Three hours.

By this time, I’d called Sarah’s fiance Jason. We’d only met a handful of times, but he could barely keep his composure in the small waiting area on the sixth floor. My body was frozen, Joe’s warm embrace holding me as my head cried into his shoulder ever so often. The doctors had come in when Sarah had gone into emergency surgery. As far as we knew, The babies and Sarah were critical; but very much alive.

I wasn’t sure If I should have called Joe. It was an impulse action on my part. In fact, I wasn’t sure who else I was to call. Taylor had texted me saying she was closing up the building due to the incident. I made sure to have her pick up Annabelle and just have her stay with her for the night. Minutes seemed like hours, hours like days. My head pounded even though I’d popped around six aspirins in the last few hours. The only thing that was keeping my sane was the fact that I knew that I wasn’t alone. Joe and I barely exchanged three words, if that. Jason, on the other hand was a mess. I’d never seen a grown man cry so much in my life.

The doctor explained to us that Sarah’s baby boy’s placenta had separated from the uterine lining. The placenta is the baby’s lifeline. He explained how it transferred oxygen and nutrients to the baby. From the ultra-sound, he was much smaller than his sister. Placental abruption’s are more common in multiples, and was most likely why this had happened. If Sarah had bleed for around 10 more minutes, the babies along with her would have most likely died. When the placenta separates, blood constantly flows until it’s stopped. This explained Sarah’s frequent stomach pains. I was just glad she was okay.

“Sarah Lyons?”

My heart Nearly dropped. My eyes slowly opened as Jason was already by the doctor. Crawling off of Joe’s lap, I stretched lightly before standing beside Jason. I felt Joe’s presence behind me, his hand slipping into mine as he squeezed it lightly.

“The babies are critical, but still alive. They are just over a pound and are in the NICU. As for Mr. Thomas, your fiance has been asking for you. Nurse Alicia will take you up to the Maternity Ward to go see her.” Jason nodded vigorously as Joe murmured good luck man as the doctor lead him to the nurse. He disappeared in an elevator as my stomach was still in knots.

“Doctor? Is it okay if we go see the babies?” I questioned as he looked up at me, a slight smile on his face. He nodded as he finished writing something on his pad of paper, clearing his throat as he placed the pen in this white jacket pocket.

“The NICU at the end of the hallway to your left. Just as for the Lyon twins and she should let you in with no problem.” He explained as I smiled and thanked him before walking towards the long hallway. Joe was right behind me, his work shoes clicking against the floor. I loved the way he dressed for work. It was a little more dressy, and I adored when he wore his glasses. At the end of the hallway, a large wooden entrance with a receptionist desk stood next to two double doors that were locked. In bold silver lettering read Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Taking a deep breath, I walked up to the receptionist desk as she ended a call on the phone.

“Hi, were here to see the Lyons twins?” I asked timidly as she gave me a smile, typing in the computer as she handed us a sign in sheet. Writing both Joe’s name and mine, I handed her back the clip-board as she handed us yellow gowns.

“The twins are around 2 months immature, so this is just precautionary. They are in Twin Suite two. You’ll see it to the far left when you enter.” She smiled as I thanked her, pulling my arms through the yellow covering.

“Hey Joe, can you tie it for me?” I looked over my shoulder as he smiled, nodding. His fingers brushed the back of my neck as chills when straight down my spine. Attempting to ignore this, I just shut my eyes and before I knew it he was done.

“Thanks.” I whispered as we walked up to the door, the receptionist buzzing us in as the door become unlocked. As soon as we entered, the sound of multiple machines going was evident. Colorful murals were covering the wall, a nurse station set up in the middle of the large rooms. Faint cries could be heard, and multiple nurses moving in and out of rooms. Looking over to the left, I saw the three twin suites. the door to number two was only half open, as I looked over at Joe before slowly walking to the room. As I entered, there was a nurse sitting in the middle of the two beds, watching over the babies. Getting a glance at one, they were so small. They were still in the incubator boxes, many machines going as I looked up at the heart monitors. Gripping Joe’s hand tightly was a complete impulse action. But in this moment, I just needed someone, and that someone was him. The nurse smiled over at me, as she got up and left, leaving the door cracked open. We stood on the left side of the room, as the name above the the first bed read Sophia. Two pounds, eleven ounces. 14.5 inches long.

Looking in, she looked so small. Her heart was beating fast, multiple machines hooked up so you could barely see her face. Even so, she was moving her hand, her toes twitching ever so often.

“She’s so tiny.” I whispered as Joe gripped my hand a little tighter. During the many hours spent in the waiting room, I read that babies at 29 weeks typically do well. The first 24 hours are the most critical for survival. Sarah was a fighter, and so were her babies. I just knew it.

Looking over too the other side of the room, I slowly walked over to the other incubator. Looking up at the name tag, I smiled at what I saw. Naythan. Two pounds three ounces. 13 inches long. He was significantly smaller, and he had at least two more machines hooked up than Sophia had. A blue hat covered his head, his eyes shut as his eyebrows moved slightly. A new nurse walked in as she opened up Sophia’s incubator, listening to her heart with a stethoscope. Sitting down on one of the couches leaned against the wall I leaned against Joe as a tear streamed down my face.

“Joe. They’re so tiny. What if they don’t make it?” My I asked as my voice cracked, wiping a tear away from my face. Joe just looked at me, rubbing his thumb into my palm, comforting me.

“They’re strong. You have to be strong for both the babies and Sarah. It’s all you can do.” He whispered back as I just nodded, looking over at the tiny babies, they’re chest rising and falling continuously. I just sat, frozen. Joe’s cologne comforted me, as I never let go of his hand. I was scared out of my mind. I couldn’t even imagine what was going through Sarah’s head. I just closed my eyes, and prayed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey,
I’m pretty sure like, no one reads this on here but thats okay! (: Just posting for the hell of it.

-Christina.