Status: In the process of re-writing.

The Fake Bride

Prince of Loon

The tea party was buzzing with activities and women’s chatters. There were at least thirty people, all women of the courts, excluding the maids bustling to cater to the closest lady in hooped skirt and feathered headdress. In this garden full of elegant ladies,Trinity felt underdressed in the princess’s lavender dress, lace-less and casual.

Selisse approached Trinity with a smile. “I’m glad you’re here. We are just about to start.”

Taking Trinity’s hand, she led her toward a table consisting of her sister and four others. They all introduced themselves with warm welcome and expressed their polite gladness at having her join them as the new bride. Only Lady Deidre of Habern, daughter of the ruler of a small region near Netriasi, expressed no sympathy in her honest gaze.

She merely stared at Trinity over her cup of tea; that was enough to make Trinity squirm. “A princess of Netriasi, is it? My father have told me the king of Netriasi have many beautiful daughters.”

The other princesses chuckled to ease the ill meaning of her words. Was she disappointed in Trinity’s appearance?

Selisse was friendly in her defense. “I’m sure you will find her quite a delight, Deidre.”

Deidre abandoned her tea for a creamy pastry. “I sure do hope so. Women can wear theircharms out quite quickly.

Serian snorted, a sound that made the others stare but to no effect toward the indifferent princess. “You sound like a hypocrite. You’re one of those women.”

Deidre sighed, “Sadly so.”

Lady Deidre was strange to say the least. She was open and honest, traits that were rarely seen in most people. Trinity sensed that whatever she had said was matter of fact, not a personal comment meant to harm.

Trinity smiled at the thought. “Although it seems only the special ones deserve to keep them.” Princess Farsiris for example.

Deidre eyed her expressionlessly. Then she leaned back, a smile hinting at her lips, and said, “Is that a compliment?”

Trinity laughed, truly enjoying herself for the first time. “I merely speak the truth, just as you do.”

The other chuckled. “Aren’t you quite the flatterer.”

“Deidre, you laugh?” Serian said incredulously.

Deidre made a face: her brows knitted and her mouth curved downward. It seemed natural for her to bring a good laugh without intending to.

“As much as you stuff your mouth with cake, Serian.”

Serian swallowed the last of her third piece. “It’s delicious! Try some, Farsiris. The strawberry is the best.”

“Thank you,” Trinity answered, delighted. She had never seen a girl eat so well.

Conversation was light and cheerful. She learned Deidre and the other three princesses were a few years older than herself, while the twins were youthfully in their fifteen years. She pitied them for having to leave their country so young, but they didn’t seem to mind. The two sisters, despite the constant quarrel, were fond of one another. The rare warm weather seemed to keep everyone in good spirit. That was until the party in the mid of the garden grew to a murmur. The target of gossips was none other than the new bride.

“They’re talking about me,” she said quietly.

Deidre frowned and cursed, “I was wondering when they would bring this up. Pesky women.”

“It’s all right, don’t let them bother you,” Selisse said kindly.

“Is it always like this?”

“Hostility? Not quite, if you don’t count the court ladies.”

“Court ladies?”

“Yes. Not all of these women are the king’s consorts. If I have to say, there are only about…ten of us who are betrothed to the king.”

“And yet, that’s not enough for the man to be satisfied with,” Deidre sneered. “You won’t be the last, Farsiris.”

“Our father has four wives,” Serian remarked casually. “Our half sister’s mother’s brother has even more. No big surprise here.”

“That’s rather lonely, isn’t it?” Trinity said. “To have so many women around but to be intimate with none.”

Deidre shrugged. “A blessing and a curse. I don’t care for him, but at the same time I could go insane being locked in here.” She stabbed her fork into a half-eaten cake. Her brown eyes suddenly ice cold. “The only way out is to be his queen.”

“Does he not have anyone in mind yet?”

Everyone exchanged looks, uncertain of how to answer. Deidre thought long and hard before nodding her head toward the middle table, her expression quite annoyed. “If you call that much of a choice, then I guess she is.”

Trinity dared peek from the corners of her eyes. Her timid gaze met a beautiful girl’s cool, dark ones. She was surrounded by at least a dozen court ladies, whose stares pecked at Trinity like ravenous vultures. The girl’s upright posture in her arm chair demanded authority, as if she owned the place and everything that touched its ground must submit to her. She was polished from head to toes. Her dress beautifully tailored in gold, her hands embellished with precious jewels. Even her curled red hair gave her countenance a lioness-like fierceness . She did own the place! At least, the lady companions thought so, for they diverted their attention from Trinity when the girl ignored Trinity’s existence altogether.

“That’s Verilda,” Serian said. “Queen of the Rots.”

“She’s the most likely candidate to become the next queen,” Selisse explained unaffectedly.

“Her aunt, the current queen, will see through it, of course. It’s all about connections, connections,” Deidre said.

“She’s the king’s cousin?”

“No, the late king had a son, the current king, and a daughter with his first wife. Queen Ismene is the second wife. She has a son, but he turns out to be a complete disappointment. That’s why Verilda is a valuable pawn.”

“Deidre, your words are harsh,” Selisse reproached.

“I won’t apologize for my belief. I don’t like his frivolity or hers.”

“The prince? What is he like?” Is he like the king? Detached and cruel?

Deidre grunted and made a droll face again. “Worse.”

Serian leaned in and whispered, “People call him the Prince of Loon.”

“Greetings everybody!” a bold, explosive voice announced ceremoniously. Conversations died and all eyes turned forward.

Deidre didn’t bother to look. “Dear the lord.”

The new arrival was far away, but Trinity saw a woman with long red hair striding toward the party with one arm raised and the other held an armful of roses. A full bloom was tucked above her ear. Strangely, her chosen attire was a long coat instead of a dress.

Save for a few, everyone else rushed to her side and chirped excitedly. Lady Verilda’s face reddened and her haughtiness mask shattered. The woman laughed and the stage was now hers. One by one, each girl she gifted a rose upon smiled or giggled hysterically. One even wanted to kiss her cheek, but the girl was zealously pulled away by another.

“Is she another princess?”

Deidre coughed on her tea. “That’s a cruel joke.”

Even Seirian seemed to pale. “That person is weird.”

“Who’s weird?” Everyone jumped instinctively. Well, except for Selisse, who smiled as if she was receiving a dear friend, and Deidre, who eyed him warily.

Up close, the girl had an oval, pretty face, vivacious green eyes, and a smile wide with mischief. It was the first time Trinity met a person whose appearance was so reflective of her personality. Everything about her seemed so amicable and happy.

Selisse indicated their new friend, “Farsiris, meet Fayre, second prince of Elithianora.”

“It is very nice—wait, you’re a man?” she exclaimed and immediately slapped her hand over her mouth. I can’t believe I just said that! To testify for how tragic her mistake was, a few women from afar laughed and proceeded to criticize her.

The prince was stunt and so were the rest who thought she was joking before. But he burst out laughing, doubled over, and slammed his fist repeatedly on the table; her companions chuckled innocuously.

“What makes you think I’m a girl?”

“I’m sorry for my imprudence. It’s just… you’re very beautiful.”

“I’ve always been told I look like my mother, but never once had anyone thought I was a woman,” he said.

“I am really really sorry.”

“Nah, beauty is a blessing.” He winked making her blush.

“When will you stop flirting indiscriminately?” Deidre said. “She’s not yours to woo.”

“Ah, so you are the king’s newest bride.” She flinched at the word newest. “What do you think of him?”

“I… don’t know. I’ve never met him.”

“I see, I see.” He nodded knowingly and pulled a nearby chair between Trinity and Serian, who looked as if the surplus sweets had gotten to her. “He’s a handsome lad, but difficult to handle. Do you think you have what it takes to capture his attention?”

Her cheeks burned as she leaned back from the prince’s face leaning into hers. “I have not such intention in mind.”

“He has so many beautiful women to choose from, and yet he has the heart to ignore them all. Such a cold-hearted man, is he not?”

She looked at him, searching. “Is he?”

The beautiful prince smiled crookedly. “You are interested in him,” he decided. “Unfortunately, my brother has only one lady in his heart. And quite a young one at that.”

“Lady Verilda?”

Prince Fayre laughed, an unrestrained sound that Lady Verilda herself could hear across the yard. “Verilda is almost twenty. She’s worried she will become an old maid. Well, the king will be an old maid soon, too, if he’s too picky.”

“But you said he has a lady in mind.”

His eyes glinted deviously. “Certainly, but not in the way you think. No matter, if he won’t marry you, then I may take the initiative.”

Trinity swayed in her seat, but thankfully, the prince shot out his hand and had a tight grip on Trinity’s arm—a gesture too familiar for strangers who had just met. He was enormously amused because he started laughing like an impish fairy, who took delight in tricking others. “I’m just teasing.”

His laughter didn’t die even when women flocked around him like bees to nectar flowers.

“Fayre, what do you think you’re doing here?” Lady Verilda sounded shrilly. The women parted and made ways between the prince and his cousin. Lady Verilda glared, her black eyes burning into the prince’s tranquil ones.

Everyone stood cold on cue, except for the prince. He beamed. “Aww, Verilda. We’re on speaking term now? Forgive me for not greeting you. I thought you no longer wish to associate with me.”

Lady Verilda blinked, slightly hyperventilating. “How dare you show your face here?”

“I love a good party. Besides, it’s open for anyone.”

“For women, you Loon!” she shrieked.

The prince laughed calmly. “Funny you mention that. Princess Farsiris here thought I was a girl. Do you not agree I could pass for one had you not known who I am?” he appealed to his admirers, who agreed readily.

His cousin directed her hate at Trinity as if his personality was somehow her fault. She cried in tantrum and stomped away, her followers trailing behind like little ducklings.

He sighed, “That girl. She never did learn to have a sense of humor.”

Deidre exploded in laughter and everyone else joined her. “Under any other circumstances, I would not want you or her near, except when you’re making a fool of her.”

“How did you do that?” Trinity said in awe.

“It’s a talent. I can teach you sometimes. She’s too proud and vain, which make it so easy to cross her.”

“She’s jealous of the attention you took from her,” Selisse said.

“I feel sick,” Serian said miserably.

The prince patted her back. Which laughter in his voice, he said, “Is it the cake again? I’ve never seen a girl eat like a piglet.”

Serian glared and edged away from him. “I’m not a piglet! At least call me a hog! I’m not a weak—”—blerg—the content of her stomach spewed onto the ground. And her dress.

Her sister, too, paled considerably. Everyone else stared.

“I told you not to eat so much!” she admonished, wrapping one arm around the sick girl’s shoulders. “If you’ll excuse us, I will take her back to her room.”

“Oh dear, better fetch the physician,” the prince said. “I will go.”

“I’ll come with you,” Trinity offered to the twins.

“No!” Selisse said, a little too quickly and aggressively. “I mean, no, it’s quite all right. You must not bother yourself.”

Trinity looked at her feet disappointedly.

“She can come with me,” the prince said.

Selisse agreed unsettlingly, partly worried about her sister and partly apologetic for declining Trinity’s help. Trinity felt bad that the princess felt that way and wondered what she had done wrong as she followed the prince to find the physician.
♠ ♠ ♠
Har har, a little gender bender won't hurt anyone ;)
Hmmm, so Fayre sure reminds me of Howl from Howl's Moving Castle. Anyone else thinks so? But I swear I didn't model him after Howl.
Just wondering, how do you say his name? I say Fay-er. Fair is just way too feminine, but he's quite feminine already haha