Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 1

Cali sat at her desk in her classroom, pouring all her concentration into planning out the following weeks lessons. School had finished three hours previously but she hadn’t feel like going home.

It had been a month since the accident. A whole month and Brian was still in a coma. In those four weeks Cali had not once been to visit Brian. She’d wanted to, on many occasions. She’d even driven to the hospital, only to turn the car around and drive back. In all honesty she couldn’t deal with seeing Michelle sat beside the bed, holding his hand, crying. That should have been her. It was her who Brian loved now, not Michelle.

Over the past four weeks Cali had become withdrawn. She spent as much time as possible out of the flat, choosing to stay in school to do her prep work rather than brining it home like she used to do.

A quiet knock and a throat clearing brought her attention from her paper work.

“Is it that time already Harold?” she asked the janitor quietly.

“Sorry Cali.” He replied with a small smile.

“Don’t be. It should be me apologising to you for keeping you here.” She replied gathering all her things.

“Cali are you okay?” he asked taking a hurried couple of steps towards her as she gripped the desk to steady herself after standing up.

“Yeah I’m fine.” She replied with a gentle shake of her head. “Just a little head rush, stood up to quickly.”

“Are you sure?” he asked softly. “You’re working yourself too hard lately young lady. You need to take a break.” He added a little sternly.

“Yes Harold, I’m fine. And I promise I’ll rest up over the weekend.” She replied.

“You better. Cali can I ask you something?” he asked as she stepped out into the corridor for him to lock the classroom door.

“Sure go ahead.” She replied.

“What’s happened to your smile? These past couple of weeks I haven’t seen it as much.” He asked as they walked down the corridor together.

“I’ve lost the man I love.” she stated simply.

“Oh Cali, I’m sorry, I didn’t even know you were seeing anyone after you and Mr Farley broke up.” he replied sympathetically.

“It’s a long story. He was in a car accident and now he’s in a coma.” She replied.

“Oh Honey.” He whispered. “You’ve got to be optimistic though, modern medicine is marvellous. He may get through this.” he added with a smile.

“I hope so Harold.” She replied as they exited the school building together.

“Good night sweetie.” He said with a smile as he turned from locking the front doors.

“Good night, have a good weekend see you Monday.” She replied with a smile before turning to head towards her car.

She drove home, stopping at the store on the way to pick up some much needed groceries. Stepping into the apartment she flipped the light switch and made her way through to the kitchen with the groceries. The apartment was quiet. Too quiet after Rachel had moved in with Johnny. At first, after seeing how upset Cali had been with Brian in a coma, Rachel had wanted to stay a while longer to keep her company, but Cali had insisted that she move in with Johnny as planned.

After unpacking the groceries, Cali had a quick shower and dressed in her pyjamas, settled on the sofa with a large bowl of Cap’n Crunch cereal, a box of Pop Tarts and a tub of Marshmallow fluff. It was a strange combination but it was all Cali could be bothered to muster together as a ‘meal’.

She hadn’t been sat down for longer than half an hour when there was a knock at the front door.

“Its open.” she called not wanting to get up.

“Hey Hun, how’s things going today?” Rachel said as she entered, closing the front door behind her.

“Oh you know, same old shit just a different day.” She muttered taking a spoonful of fluff into her mouth.

“Cali Hetfield! Please don’t tell me this was your dinner tonight?” Rachel exclaimed pointing at the empty bowl and half eaten pox of Pop Tarts.

“There wasn’t anything I fancied.” She defended with a shrug of her shoulders.

“I’m disappointed with you missy, you’re turning into me.” Rachel replied as she slumped down into the sofa next to her, reaching for a Pop Tart.

“Don’t start Rach. What do you want anyway?” she replied, not meaning to sound as snappy as it came across.

“I just came to see how you are. You haven’t exactly been very sociable recently.” She replied.

“Sorry, I’m just not up to being around people lately.” She replied sheepishly.

“I know Hun, but it’s not good for you hiding away from everyone neither. You have to get out of the apartment, and not just to go to work neither.” She replied sternly.

“I know, I know.” Cali replied offering the jar to Rachel who’d been eyeing it up.

“Good, so you’re coming out with me tomorrow afternoon, no arguments.” She replied taking a spoonful.

“Where?” Cali asked nervously.

“To the doggie shelter. I’ve convinced Johnny that we should get a dog.” She replied with a smug smile.

“Okay, I can do that.” She replied with a nod.

“Great. Now, pass the remote. The Hills is on in a few minutes.” she replied kicking off her pumps and pulling her feet up onto the sofa.

*****

It was a feeling of nausea that woke Cali the following morning and she quickly made her way to the bathroom, he stomach soon emptied of its contents.

“That will teach me to eat crap instead of a proper meal.” she muttered to herself as she reached for her toothbrush and began to clean the taste and smell of sick out of her mouth.

She showered and wrapped a robe around her body before heading into the kitchen ready for breakfast. As she took the first mouthful of cereal her phone buzzed on the counter, so she picked up her bowl and pushed herself up onto the counter next to where her cell sat. After taking another mouthful of cereal she read the message from Rachel telling her that she’d be over in an hour to go to the shelter. She sent her reply and went back to eating her cereal, pouring herself a second bowl.

After surprising her self by finding herself hungry enough to eat a third bowl of cereal Cali went to get dressed. She was just lacing up her converses when her phone began to vibrate loudly on the coffee table.

“Get that skinny ass of yours down here Hetfield.” Rachel cheered through the phone as she answered her call.

“On my way.” She replied with a smile, as she grabbed her purse and headed to the front door.

“So, what kind of dog are we looking for today anyway?” Cali asked as she pulled away from the apartment drive way.

“Probably a biggish one. I don’t want one too small like…”

“Like Brian? It’s okay Rach, you can say his name.” Cali replied. “Any news on how he is?”

“Better apparently, the nurse told Johnny and Zack last night that he’s been showing signs of improvement.” She replied as Cali breathed a visible sigh of relief.

“Does…does Michelle spend a lot of time at the hospital?” Cali asked nervously.

“To be honest, from what I can understand not as much as she was for the first two weeks.” She replied and again Cali nodded.

“So are we talking something the size of a German Shepherd or something smaller?” she asked, quickly changing the subject again.

“Um, yeah, I think if they’ve got a German Shepherd there today I’ll get one. Or maybe a Rottweiler or husky or something.” she replied as Cali pulled into the parking lot.

“Johnny does know that’s what you’ve got planned right? I mean he does know that you’re after a big dog?” she asked as they got out of the car and made their way across the parking lot toward the large building.

“Well, um, not exactly…” she replied with a smile.

“So what? You’re just going to turn up later with a giant dog and make him deal with it?” she asked as they entered the reception area.

“Yeah, kind of!” she replied before stepping up to the desk where a young black-haired woman sat with a welcoming smile.

After Rachel had explained to the young woman what she was looking for, she showed them through to the outside area which had been fenced off into several smaller areas, each with a kennel at one end, surrounded by a grass, each with a dog inside. There were dogs of all breeds and sizes, and Rachel was falling in love with each of them. Cali wasn’t doing much better, each of the dogs they passed she could easily have taken home.

As Rachel was being shown a young German Shepherd female dog, Cali’s attention was drawn to the smaller dog in the kennel opposite. It was a small black pug.

“Hello little guy, or are you a girl?” she said crouching down to reach through the fence to pet the small dog. She was greeted by a excited licking of her hand, the small dog’s paws reaching up to grip her hand and wrist as if wanting to keep her there.

“That’s Boscoe, he hasn’t been here long, that same old story of a child begging their parents for a pet, so they get given one for Christmas, and not long after new year the child gets fed up and the pup gets brought to a shelter…if they’re lucky.” The young woman explained as she crouched down beside her.

“Aaw, bless him, he’s adorable, how could anyone not want him?” Cali replied as Boscoe continued to lick her hand.

“It’s a sad but very true fact, but he seems to like you.” she replied.

“I want to take her, she’s perfect!” Rachel exclaimed excitedly as she joined them.

“Of course. How about you? can we interest you in a new friend as well?” she said hopefully turning to face Cali.

“Are you going to get a dog as well? This one? Oh he’s so cute.” Rachel asked before Cali had the chance to even think about replying. “Oh you should Cal, he could be just the company you need, help you take your mind off….well, you know.”

Cali looked up at Rachel and then down at Boscoe. Maybe Rachel was right, maybe this was just what she needed. With a smile tugging at her lips she looked back at the young woman. “I hope he’s house broken?” she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter sucks as a first chapter, and not a lot happens in it, but I can assure you that it does get better!!!!
I would like to thank the 73 of you who have already subscribed to this...I hope none of you will be disappointed. :)
As always, comments are very much appreciated...let me know what you think.... :)

Cali