Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 16

A small tear trickled down Cali’s as she signed the birthday card and sealed the envelope. She wiped her cheek and placed it with the neatly wrapped gift box on the dressing table of the hotel room. She sighed as she ran her hand over her large bump, turning at the sound of the door opening.

“Well that was a chore!” Brian muttered closing the door behind him and walking over to her.

“Bad interview?” she asked.

“Bad interviewer.” He replied leaning down to kiss her lips. “You okay babe? Have you been crying?”

“A little yeah, I was just writing out my dad’s card.” She replied as he crouched down in front of her.

“When are you going to give it to him?” Brian asked.

“I’m going to try and see him before he goes on stage.” She replied.

“Do you want me with you?” he asked his hand resting on her bump, something that had become a natural gesture.

“Please. Going by myself to try and talk to him doesn’t seem to be helping.” She replied with a small smile.

“And me being there with you has really made a difference?” he teased.

“I know, but hopefully he’ll be in a good mood considering it’s his birthday.” She said.

“I wish he would quit being so stubborn. I hate seeing you like this.” Brian muttered.

“I know.” she sighed with a saddened smile. “And if he still hasn’t budged by the time this little one turns up, then the three of us will just have to turn up and let her win him round.”

“That may just be a plan.” He replied. “Now, do you fancy some lunch before we have to go and sound check and shit?”

“Sounds like a plan.” She replied.

The group had made their way to the UK for the last Sonisphere show of the tour. It was also Cali’s dad’s birthday and despite many attempts since joining the guys in Spain to talk to him, he’d avoided and ignored the both of them. Although she tried her best not to show it, it was breaking Cali’s heart having her father not talking to her, and that in turn was breaking Brian’s heart.

*~*

“Has anyone seen Johnny!” Rachel yelled as she stomped onto the bus.
Cali quickly turned her head away from her best friend as Brian lied to her.

“For fucks sake, he knows my family are arriving soon to meet him!” she growled taking her cell out of her pocket. As she placed it to her ear, the faint sound of a cell phone ringing caught her attention, Brian and Cali’s eyes widening with fear.

“The fucking prick!” she yelled turning and following the sound of the ringing into the bunk area.

“You’d think he’d have the common sense to put his phone on silent.” Brian chuckled as the sound of Rachel’s muffled yelling reached their ears.

“I really don’t get why he’s hiding in the first place. Her family are the best.” Cali replied

“Maybe he’s scared of her dad having the same reaction as your dad?” Brian suggested with a gentle smile.

“Talking of whom, I guess we better go find him.” she replied with a sigh.

“It’ll be okay sweetie.” Brian said quietly, kissing her temple as they stood up.

The two of them slowly made their way through the Sonisphere crowds, towards the main stage where they knew Metallica would be getting ready to go on stage.

She froze as they approached the backstage area, the sound of her father’s laugh echoing through to her ears.

“Hey, it’s gonna be okay.” Brian whispered giving her hand a reassuring squeeze.

“I just don’t know if I can take him ignoring me. Not today.” She replied quietly.

“We don’t have to do this you know. if you don’t think you can face him, I’ll drop the card and present off and we can head straight over to play our set.” He told her.

“No, I’ve gotta do this. I’ve gotta be the bigger person here!” she said taking a deep breath.
Brian smiled at her, taking hold of her hand again as they made their way into the large room where members of various bands were either getting ready to go on stage or recovering from being on stage.

Her heart rate quickened as she caught sight of her father on the other side of the room, with his back turned to them.

She walked over to him and took a deep breath before talking. “Happy Birthday Dad.”

Slowly he turned; his expression still as he looked at her with a quick glance at Brian.

“I got you a card and a present.” She said, her voice shaking.

He was silent for a long moment, his expression remaining emotionless before he spoke. “Thank you.”

“I hope you like it.” she muttered with a smile as he took the gift bag off her.

“I’m sure I will. I’ll open it later.” He replied coldly “We’ve gotta get on stage soon.”
He placed the gift bag down on the table next to him, a small, brief smile appearing on his lips as he turned and walked past her towards the exit.

“I love you Dad!” she yelled after him causing him to stop in his tracks.

“I miss you.” she yelled. He paused for another brief moment before continuing to walk away from her.

“DAD!” she screamed after him, tears erupting from her eyes as Brian wrapped his strong arms around her, pulling her head into his chest.

Brian kept her in the embrace for a long while as she continued to sob, only pulling away from her as he felt her pull his cell out of his pocket.

“You better answer that, they’ve rung three times already.” She said with a smile handing him his ringing phone.

“Dude, where the fuck are you? we’re on in ten minutes!” Matt’s angry voice bellowed.

“I’m sorry dude, I’ll be right there.” he replied hanging up.

“You run on ahead, I wanna see my dad play first.” Cali said with a smile.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“Yes! Go! They can’t play a show without their lead guitarist can they! Go!” she told him.

“I love you.” he muttered kissing her lips.

“Love you too dumbass, now go!” she yelled with a small laugh. “I’ll be over before the second song.”

She smiled as she watched him run off towards the stage where Avenged were playing before she walked slowly off towards the stage where she could hear Fuel being played.
She made her way to the side of the stage, watching with a smile on her face as at the end of the song, the crowd began to sing happy birthday to him. A small tear trickled down her cheek as she sang along with them, briefly catching Kirk’s eye.

She turned quickly to walk away, ignoring Kirk as he called her name. she made her way over to the stage where Avenged were playing, smiling again as she realised they were playing Chapter Four. She made her way onto the side of stage, standing next to Val who was singing along with Matt.

“Hey, are you okay? Brian told us it didn’t go that great with your dad.” Val said with a small smile.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. I may just have to come to terms with the fact that Steph will have to grow up not knowing her Grandpa.” She replied resting her hand on her large bump as she began to kick like she always did when Avenged played.

“Oh sweetie, don’t say that. He’ll come around. He won’t let that happen.” She comforted her.

“I really hope that’s true. There’s nothing more I can do now, the ball’s in his court.” She replied, wiping another tear from her cheek.

“He will come round” she said again as The Beast and the Harlot came to an end.

“Baby, you okay?” Brian asked as he jogged across to them.

She nodded as he kissed her briefly on her lips before heading back to the front of the stage to begin Afterlife.

On the other side of the stage, Cali spotted Rachel stood there with her family, a smile on her face. Cali and Val continued to watch the guys play their set, singing along with every word until they were interrupted in the middle of Bat Country.

Cali turned at the sound of her name being called to find Kirk stood behind her.

“Hey.” she muttered as she walked over to him. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve come to make sure you’re okay after what happened with your dad.” He said pulling her into a gentle hug when he noticed her about to start crying.

“Why’s he being like this Kirk? I don’t understand?” she sobbed.

“Because he’s a stubborn fuck.” He replied simply. “He loves you Cali, he’s just too stubborn to admit that he’s been wrong about you and Brian.”

“Do you think he’ll ever come round?” she asked nervously.

“Of course he will sweetie. I don’t think he’s stubborn enough to ignore his granddaughter.” He replied with a smile.

“I hope so.” She muttered.

“You know, he keeps the picture of the scan you sent him in his wallet.” He told her with a smile.

“He does?” Cali smiled back.

“Yep, he looks at it all the time.” He replied.

“Who looks at what?” Brian asked as he joined them, placing an arm around her shoulder and kissing her cheek.

“Dad, he keeps a scan photo in his wallet and looks at it all the time” Cali explained with a beaming smile.

“Babe, that’s awesome. I told you.” Brian murmured quietly against her ear, kissing her cheek.

“I better head off.” Kirk said with a smile.

“Thanks Kirk.” Cali replied.

“Anytime sweetie. Make sure you look after both of them.” He replied, sending a wink in Brian’s direction.

“I intended to dude.” Brian told him with a proud smile.

“Good.” He replied as he turned to leave.

“You feeling better about things now?” Brian asked.

“A lot yeah.” She replied with a smile.

“Good. Do you wanna see something else to make you feel better?” he whispered.

“Always.” She replied as Brian turned to look around.

“Yo Christ, come here!” Brian yelled beckoning Johnny over.

“S’up dude?” he asked, Cali immediately noticing what Brian wanted her to see.

“Oh my God Johnny! What happened?” Cali exclaimed.

“Well, when Rachel was yelling at me for hiding in the bunks, she threw a shoe at my face.” he explained.

“Shit dude, that’s one hell of a black eye!” Cali said still staring at it.

“You’re fucking telling me, it hurts like a bitch!” he told her.

“So how’s things going with her family?” she asked.

“Great! They’re awesome. I really don’t know what I was so worried about?” he replied with a smile.

“Well, I did try to tell you several times.” Cali said matter of factly. “And if you’d listen you wouldn’t have a black eye right now.”

Johnny glared at her for a second. “Let’s pretend that’s not the case please.”
Cali and Brian both burst into laughter as he turned and walked back over to Rachel and her family.

“Do you fancy heading back to the bus and chilling for a while before we head to the airport?” Brian asked quietly into Cali’s ear.

“Sounds pretty good to me.” she muttered in reply a smile on her face as she leaned over to kiss his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only 5 chapters left guys.....comments?

CLICK AND JOIN