Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 18

Brian stood in the doorway of the bedroom, a smile on his face as he watched Cali as she slept. As the end of the pregnancy neared, Cali had found herself tiring easier and taking naps in the afternoon.

Not wanting to wake her just yet, he turned back into the hallway, making his way back across the hall and into the nursery. He walked over to the closet, reaching up to the top shelf where he took down a small red box, quickly checking its contents before slipping it into his pocket and making his way back out of the room.

He made his way into the kitchen to make a start on dinner, grabbing all he’s need to make the well rehearsed pasta dish that he knew Cali loved.

As he cooked, he went over the words he wanted to say to Cali in his head, a smile working it’s way onto his thin lips as he thought about it, about Cali and the baby and how happy he’d been over the past eight and a half months.

“Something smells good.” Cali murmured startling Brian slightly. She smirked as she walked over to him, pressing her swollen stomach against his back as she tried to wrap her arm around his waist.

“Urgh, I can’t wait to do this properly again.” she said with a pout as Brian turned to face her, leaning down to kiss her lips.

“Me neither baby, and it won’t be long now.” he said quietly against her lips as his large hands running over her stomach, feeling Stephanie move on the other side.

“Need any help?” she asked.

“No, I’ve got everything under control. All I need you to do is go and relax on the sofa until I’m ready to serve.

“Babe, all I’ve done all day is relax and sleep let me-“

“Sofa.” Brian said sternly with a hint of a smile as he pointed towards the living room.

“Okay, I’m going.” She said, defeated as Brian turned his attention back to the meal that was almost ready.

“That was perfection.” Cali stated as she scraped the last bit of chocolate out of the bowl, finishing the last bit of chocolate fudge cake Brian had bought for dessert.

“Glad you enjoyed.” Brian replied as he gathered the bowls and placed them into the dishwasher. “Come on, I think the sofa’s calling us.”

He took her hand and lifted her out of the chair, leading her into the living room where he sat on the sofa and gently pulled her down so that she was sat between his legs, his hands slipping around her waist, placed flat on her swollen stomach. Cali relaxed back into him, closing her eyes as she placed her hands next to his, smiling as Stephanie gave them a welcoming nudge.

They settled into a comfortable silence; however Cali was aware that Brian seemed to have something he was trying to say.

“Babe is everything okay?” she asked quietly.

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Perfect actually. And it has been for a long time now thanks to you.” he said kissing the top of her shoulder.

“Funny that, things in my life have been pretty perfect recently thanks to you too.” she replied with a smile.

“Cali I –“

“Shit, ow, ow, ow.” Cali cut Brian’s speech short as she sat forward, clutching her stomach.

“Babe? Are you okay?” Brian asked as he sat up, his hands reaching for hers.

“I think so. But that was different. Shit.” She replied running her hands over her stomach.

“Something to be worried about?” he asked with concern.

“I don’t know.” she answered truthfully.

“Do you want to go to the hospital?” he asked, running a caring hand over her back.

“No, not yet anyway. I’m okay now.” she said.

“Okay, but if it happens again, we’ll go.” He told her.

“Fair enough.” She replied relaxing back into his arms. “Now, what were you saying?”

“Oh yeah, um, I was going to tell you how much I love you.” he began, his hands finding hers again.

“I love you too, more than anything.” She replied a smile creeping onto her lips.

“You’re my world Cali Hetfield and you’ve made me the happiest person in the world. I want to sp-“

“Owww!” Cali yelled, interrupting him again.

“Okay baby, come on, stand up, we’re heading over to the hospital.” Brian said. Letting out a slow breath, Cali nodded.

“Okay, you may want to go grab my over night bag. Just in case.” She told him as she pushed herself off the sofa.

“Do you think she’s coming tonight?” Brian said with widening eyes.

“I don’t know babe. Maybe.” She replied.

Brian quickly grabbed her hospital bag that she’d packed a week before and helped her out to the car. They were soon at the hospital, where Cali was taken into an examination room to be seen by a doctor.

“Well, Miss Hetfield I can tell you you’re not in labour. The pains were caused by what we call Braxton Hicks contractions.” The doctor said with a smile as he finished examining her.

“Braxton Hicks? Like false labour?” Cali asked.

“That’s correct.” He said as he made notes on her chart.

“So I’m fine? I’ve wasted your time? I can go home?” she said.

“Not so fast. Firstly you haven’t wasted my time, it’s always best to check these things out. secondly, you’re blood pressure is a little elevated, so I’d like you to stay in over night so that we can keep an eye on it.” he told her.

“Cali and the baby are okay though right?” Brian’s concerned voice asked.

“Apart from the slightly high blood pressure that I’m hoping will go down by the morning, yes, both of them are fine.” He replied with a smile.

“Good.” Brian whispered, his thumb drawing light circles on the inside of her hand.

“Okay, I’ll allow you to get comfortable and I’ll come back to check on you in a little while.” The doctor said, placing her chart into the slot at the end of the bed.

“Can I stay?” Brian asked before he left.

“For a while. But I want her to rest.” He said sternly. Brian nodded and turned back to face Cali.

“You okay?” he asked quietly.

“Yeah I’m fine.” She replied, running her hand gently over her stomach.

“Look’s like she’s not going to make an appearance just yet.” He said.

“Nope, not just yet anyway.” She replied with a sigh.

“I love you.” he replied, looking up at her, smiling.

“I love you too.” she replied, returning his smile.

“Marry me.” he said quietly, Cali’s eyes widening, her smile broadening as his words registered.

“Really?” she asked.

“Yes really. I love you Cali; Will you marry me?” he replied.

“Yes.” she replied immediately. Brian stood up and leaned over to kiss her. As he sat back down, he took out the small red box he’d placed in his pocket earlier. He reached over and took hold of her left hand taking the ring out of the box and slipped it slowly onto her finger.

“You know, I had this whole speech prepared before.” he said as he laced their fingers together as she examined the ring.

“Really?” she asked unable to stop smiling.

“Yeah, I’ve been going though what I was going to say for days, weeks even.” He explained.

“Weeks?” she asked.

“Yeah. Babe I’ve been thinking about this for weeks, since before I left for tour. I bought the ring in London.” He told her.

“London?”

“Are you just going to repeat everything I say?” he asked with a chuckle. “Yes London.”

“Sorry, I’m just not sure I believe what I’m hearing.” She said.

“Well it’s true.” He replied with a slight blush coming to his cheeks.

“I wanna hear your speech.” She whispered.

“Yeah? Okay.” Brian said taking a deep breath. “You’re my world Cali Hetfield. Over the past eight and a half months that we have been together properly, I have been so incredibly happy and it’s because of you, and the fact that you will soon give birth to our daughter makes me even happier. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, raising our daughter and hopefully a few more kids, growing old together, watching our family grow up and start families of their own. I love you Cali Hetfield, more and more each day. Will you marry me?”

Still smiling, Cali raised her free hand to her face, wiping the tears that had escaped her. “I love you so much Brian. You’ve made me beyond happy too. I don’t know what I’d do with out you.”

“And you’ll never have to if I’ve got anything to do with it.” he whispered, kissing the back of her hand. She smiled back, moving over slightly and patting the space on the bed next to her.

“Come cuddle for a while.” She whispered.

“Only for a little while, then you’ve got to rest.” He said getting up and sitting on the bed next to her, wrapping his arms around her.

“I’ve done nothing but rest for the past three days. I need to cuddle with my sexy fiancé for a while before you get kicked out later.” She stated placing her head on his chest.

A little while later, the doctor came back to check on her and had insisted that Brian say good night and leave.

“I’ll be here first thing in the morning okay baby, I promise.” He told her quietly, brushing his lips against hers.

“I’ll miss you.” she said quietly.

“I’ll miss you too. I love you.” he replied.

“Love you too. Good night.” She replied kissing his lips.

“Good night baby. Sleep well.” He said kissing her again on her lips and then on her forehead before begrudgingly leaving the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this has taken a little longer than normal to get posted but I've been busy all week working on one shots for various things.
Comments would be lovely :)

If you haven't seen it yet and are interested in a Avenged Halloween writing contest then check THIS OUT