Let Your Heart Win

Chapter 6

Placing a mug of decaffeinated coffee down in front of Cali, Brian kissed the top of her head before sitting down next to her.

“You know this crap doesn’t taste the same as normal coffee.” She grumbled taking a sip.

“You know you’ve said that every time you’ve had a cup of coffee for the past week.” He replied with a chuckle, earning a stern glare from her.

“And anyway, it’s really not that bad.” He added taking a sip from his own mug.

“Whatever.” She muttered taking another sip.

“Just so I know, is this the lack of caffeine or the pregnancy?” Brian asked cautiously earning another glare from Cali.

Before she could reply there was a knock at the door and Brian quickly got up to answer it. “Saved by the bell Haner.” She called after him as he opened the door.

“Morning guys.” Brian greeted Rachel and Johnny as they walked into the apartment carrying flattened cardboard boxes and a roll of bubble wrap.

“Hey, be warned, the lack of caffeine is starting to take its toll.” Brian whispered as he closed the door behind them.

“Are you seriously trying to wind me up this morning Haner?” Cali called from the kitchen.

“Sorry babe, but you seem to be rather touchy this morning.” Brian replied as the three of them walked back into the kitchen.

“I don’t mean to be.” She replied with a pout.

“I know you don’t baby, and I guess it’s something that I’m just going to have to get used to for the next couple of months.” Brian replied pressing his lips to her forehead.

“Is everything okay guys?” Rachel asked.

“Yeah, it’s just these stupid pregnancy hormones mixing with a lack of caffeine.” Cali replied.

“In that case I’m glad I brought some extra provisions.” Rachel said with a smile as she took bags of skittles and M&Ms out of her purse and placed them on the table.

“Rachel I love you.” Cali cheered grabbing the bags.

“Rach, you and me need to talk later, I think I’m going to need some tips to help me survive the next seven months.” Brian said as he watched Cali open the bag of skittles and pour some straight into her mouth.

“It’s basically just listening and observing.” She replied with a shrug.

“Babe, we’re men, those are foreign concepts to us.” Johnny said as he took a sip of the mug of coffee he’d just poured himself.

“I’m glad you said that not me.” Cali replied as Johnny almost choked on the hot liquid.

“What the fuck is this crap, it tastes like shit.” He yelled pouring the rest of the coffee down the sink behind him.

“See, it’s not just me! Johnny can tell the difference too.” Cali protested.

“Have you seriously been drinking that crap?” he asked with disbelief.

“It isn’t that bad guys.” Brian replied.

“Dude, have you seriously tried it? It’s fucking awful.” Johnny replied.

“Okay, it’s not the best, but it’s drinkable.” He replied with a resigned tone.

“Thank you, some honesty at long last.” Cali said smugly.

“Maybe, but you still can’t drink the normal stuff babe.” Brian replied with a smirk, leaning down to kiss her forehead again.

“You ready to go Christ?” he added turning to face Johnny who nodded. “Cool, now Rachel, she’s not allowed to lift or carry anything heavier than Boscoe okay?”

“Sure thing.” Rachel replied with a nod and a smile.

“Brian, pregnancy isn’t an illness I can still –“

“You will not do any heavy lifting or carrying or anything that could put our baby in danger.” Brian interrupted sternly.

“Okay.” Cali replied simply in a whisper looking up at his concerned face.

“Good, I’ll call you later. I love you.” he replied leaning down to press his lips softly against hers.

“I love you too.” she replied quickly capturing his lips again.

“Oh my god Cali, I love this dress.” Rachel exclaimed as she held up a black skinny fit dress.

“Me too, but I doubt I’ll ever wear it again, not now I’m having a baby.” Cali sighed. Rachel lifted her head and looked at Cali with a smile.

“So you maybe looking to give it away to someone? You know like give it to someone who will get some good wear out of it?” she asked.

“Take it.” She replied simply with a smile.

“Thanks Cal. I’ve always loved this dress.” She replied holding it up against her. “Ain’t it the one you wore to the Kerrang awards?”

“Yeah, it was.” She said with a reminiscent smile.

“Oh God, maybe I don’t want it that bad, I’m now visualising what you and Brian got up to when you were in it.” She replied with a shudder throwing the dress onto the pile of clothes that Cali had decided to get rid of.

After the guys had left for the studio, Cali and Rachel had retreated to the bedroom where they had spent the past two hours going through all of Cali’s clothes, packing what she wanted to keep into boxes ready to move over to Brian’s house. There was also a pile of clothes that she decided she didn’t want anymore and another one of clothes that Rachel was adding to her own collection.

“Oooh, I like this top too.” Rachel said taking a white corset type top out of the closet.

“Oh hell no, I love that top and I’m planning on being able fit back into that after I’ve had the baby.” She replied snatching it from her and folding it neatly to put into the box.

“I can borrow it though right?” Rachel asked as she took out another top.

“Of course, but only borrow, not borrow for one night out and never return like you did with my red lace bodice you borrowed a few months back.” She replied.

“Oh, is that yours?” Rachel replied feigning innocence.

“You know damn well it is.” She replied turning to leave the room at the sound of a knock on the door.

“Well I may as well keep it now until after you’ve had the baby hadn’t I?” Rachel called after her.

“Yeah, whatever Rach!” she called back with a chuckle as she reached the door.

“Mom! Hey, what are you doing here?” she said as she opened the door to find her mom stood timidly on the other side.

“Hey, can I come in?” she asked nervously.

“Of course, is there something wrong?” Cali asked worriedly, noticing the apprehensive expression on her mother’s face.

“I wasn’t sure whether you’d want to see me or not after what your father said the other week.” She said quietly as she followed Cali across to the sofa.

“Mom, of course I want to see you. I’m sorry I should have got in touch with you sooner.” She replied as they both sat down next to each other.

“No, I should have been the one to have called. I’m sorry.” She replied quietly.

“You have nothing to be sorry about. It’s dad that told me that he doesn’t want anything to do with his own grandchild.” Cali replied with a hint of bitterness in her voice.

“That’s why I’m here. That’s not what he wants Cali, not at all.” She began.

“Really? Because it was quiet clear to me mom, he wants nothing to do with any child of Brian’s.” she retorted angrily.

“Cali? Is everything alright? Oh hey Mrs Hetfield.” Rachel said as she entered the room.

“Hello Rachel.” She replied quietly.

“Everything’s fine Rach.” Cali replied quietly.

“Okay, I’ll just get back to packing then.” Rachel said with a faint smile before she turned and walked back towards the bedroom.

“Packing?” Fran asked.

“Um, yeah, I’m going to be moving in with Brian. We thought it would make sense seeing that we love each other and we’re having this baby together.” she replied.

“Oh, of course.” She replied. There was a long silence as the two women sat on the sofa, neither of them looking at the other one.

“He was just in shock you know. He didn’t really mean what he said.” Cali’s mom said suddenly.

“He still said it mom, and if he didn’t mean it, then why hasn’t he come and apologised?” Cali retorted, feeling tears fill her eyes.

“Because he’s stubborn, just like his daughter.” Her mom snapped. “And he’s proud. He doesn’t like to back down, again like his daughter.” A small smile graced her lips as she looked into her daughters’ eyes.

“I want him to be part of his or her life mom, I really do, but it’s up to him to make the first move. I can understand why he has his reservations about Brian, but I love him and he loves me. We’re together and we’re having this baby together. If he can’t deal with that, well then I guess his first grandchild will grow up without knowing its granddad.” She said calmly, wiping away the tears that had began to fall.

“He has to come to me.” she added quietly.

“Okay, I’ll see if I can talk him around. But either way, I want to be a part of my grandchild’s life.” She replied.

“Of course, I don’t want to stop anyone being a part of his or her life. He or she is going to need their Nana and I’m going to need you too.” she replied.

“Thank you.” she whispered before the two of them hugged.

“I will talk to him, I will make him see sense.” She said as she stood to leave.

“If anyone can get him to listen, it’s you mom.” Cali replied with a smile, hugging her mom again briefly before seeing her out.

“Is everything okay?” Rachel asked as Cali walked back into the bedroom.

“Yeah, she’s going to talk to dad, try and get him to listen and change his mind about not wanting anything to do with the baby.” She replied with a sigh.

“He’ll come round Cal, he has to.” she said with a reassuring smile.

“I hope so Rach, I don’t know what I’ll do if he doesn’t. He’s my dad.” She whispered, placing her hand over her stomach.

“He will. Now, enough sadness, do you want those I’ve put on the bed, because I really like that red dress.” She replied with a smile, pointing at the items of clothes on her bed, earning a small chuckle and a roll of the eyes from Cali.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks as always to anyone reading this, as well as all who subscribe and in particular those of you who take the time to comment :)

Cali

Oh and there are a few new one shots been posted since the last time I updated if you wanna check them out ;)