Status: Spotty

Say the Last Goodbye

XxX 23 XxX

* * * * * * * * * *

I woke up to my phone vibrating. I answered the phone without opening my eyes. "Hello?" My voice was raspy from sleep and crying.

"Katie, where are you?" My mom sounded calm but I knew better.

"I'm in the bunk house." I started to wake up finally. "I was looking for my phone charger when I decided to lay down." I lied smoothly.

I hated lying to my family but I knew that she would freak out if she had known the truth.

"Oh, okay. Well, dinner is ready. And your brother is here. He managed to get off work early enough to get here tonight."

"Alright. Give me a few minutes to wake up and be in the dining room."

"Okay honey."

I hung up before I slowly pushed myself up off the floor. I felt like I had slept only a few seconds, which gave me a headache. I gritted my teeth, trying to swallow the nasty film I had in my mouth.

I walked slowly into the bathroom and flicked on the light. I wasn't very surprised with my reflection which consisted of wild, curly hair everywhere, mascara running down my cheeks and my face was fairly flushed.

I quickly scrubbed off my make-up and tried to tame my hair into a pony tail. Then I made my way rapidly to the house, which when I entered, I was met with wonderful aromas.

"Smells good!" I called out.

My mom popped her head into the kitchen. "Of course! I cooked it!!"

I laughed, walking towards my mom, and then was practically taken to the floor when I took one step into the dining room. My brother's crushing embrace made me try to wiggle out of his hold. He was relentless however, and picked me up off the floor.

I instantly knew what he was going to do. Austin ran into the living room and started spinning around. I was begging him to stop but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't. Finally, our mom was my saving grace when she told him to stop so that we could eat.

Austin set me down and gave me a more gently hug. I wrapped my arns around his waist and whispered, "You'll never guess who I saw today."

"Who?" He pulled back to look at me questioningly.

I gave him a sad smile, trying to not panic again. "I'll tell you after dinner but I'll give you a hint. He was in prison for a while."

Austin still looked confused so i just shrigged and headed towards the dinner table. Everyone took their seats, we said grace, and then dig into the delicious bowl of chili, corn bread, fruit and corn.

Talk was pleasant as we ate dinner. I found out that My dad had gotten promoted to manager of the loading and shipping department just a week ago, Austin was working in South Dakota along the eastern border, and my mom had joined a new book club.

I didn't really have much to say about myself and Austin seemed distant, which was more than likely my fault. Otherwise, talk around the table was just like it had always been when Austin and I came home to our parents house.

Austin suddenly cut off our mom by dropping his spoon and staring at me with wide unbelieving eyes. He figured it out. see, Austin was really the only one out of the family that I had told about Tom. He was the only one to be able to have anough self-control not to beat the demon to a bloody pulp. Hell, I definitely knew that my dad would've taken a shotgun after Tom.

"What is it, Austin??" Our dad asked.

"Oh nothing, Pa. I just thought that I had forgotten my phone back in South Dakota but I didn't."

"M'kay."

Conversion about getting some farm animals between my parents picked up again.

Austin, however, went back to staring at me and then mouthed, Are you fucking kidding me.

I shook my head to verify that I was completely serious. Austin's eyes turned murderous and he just went back to eating his dinner, silently glaring space.

Dinner finished quickly after that and we all helped out on cleaning and putting away leftovers.
Austin would occasionally shake his head but he would never give mom or dad a direct answer when they asked what was wrong.

Finally, we all settled in the family room to watch a movie. After much playful banter and debate, we all settled on Inception.

* * * * * * *

Mom and Dad fell asleep curled around each other on the loveseat, in only a way that long-time married couples could be. It gave me hope to see them still together after 24 or so years. I smiled in adoration.

"Well?" Austin inquired from his spot on the floor in front of me.

"Well what?" I asked, honestly confused.

"You know what. What the fuck is the deal with Tom?"

I went cold at hearing his name. "Well I saw him at the market the other day and he just scared the shit out of me."

Austin turned so that he was looking directly at me. "What do you mean 'scared the shit out of you'? What the fuck did he do?"

I could tell that this was going to go bad right away if Austin knew the entire truth.

"He just talked to me. It seemed harmless but it's hard for me to forget what he did to me so I'm just naturally scared or whatever." I tried brushing it off but I knew that Austin was going to be relentless.

However, he just gave me a look, telling me that the conversation wasn't entirely over, and stood up.

I watched him nudge mom and dad, telling them that they should go to bed.

"Guest room is open." I mumbled, suddenly sleepy, when Austin came back into the room.

"Even If it wasn't, I still crash with you."

I narrowed my eyes at him, " Bed hog..."

"Damn straight!"

This caused me to smile. "Same old brother. Sweet dreams."

I yawned while getting off the couch. Austincame over and gave me a beaaar hug. Always the best kind of brother hugs.

After we departed our ways, I headed to bed but on the way, I was already thinking of all the good times I had with Travis.

* * * * * * * * *

Travis had his head resting on my lap, watching tv. I gently and slowly ran my fingers through his hair, all the while, loving the way his soft hair slid through my fingertips.

"You need a trim..." I mumbled thoughtfully.

"Only a trim, eh?" He turned his head to smirk at me.

"Yeah, only a trim. I do like having something to grab onto." I smiled naughtily down at him.

Travis's smile started to change. Actually, his whole face changed. I watched, unable to move, as Travis's hair got longer, straighter, and darker. His blue eyes started to fade into a deep chocolate brown. Everything about Travis became Brian.

Even in my dreams I was vaguely aware of the horror I was feeling right now. Was I letting Travis slip through my fingers? Yeah, I know that I should have let go by now, but travis was only MIA. He couldn't of seriosuly been dead...

But then my hope at Travis still being alive, crumble. Instead,excitement bloomed in my chest at the sight of Brian.

I was about to lean down and kiss Brian but before I had the chance too, his body instantly became rotting flesh with maggots. No wait.... That wasn't Brian. It was Travis.

I could feel the a scream start to build itself up in my throat. Why was this happening?! Then, suddenly, everything fell away and I was left in suffocating darkness...
♠ ♠ ♠
Had to bring Brian in somehow since he's being a dick lol Comments are nice :)