Joey

Fighting Before the Finish

Joey pulled out of the driveway and rode slowly down the street. He knew something was wrong with Gia but he didn’t press her on it at first. After a few minutes of silence however, he decided to. “Everything okay, babe?”

“Yes.” Then she shook her head. “No.”

He laughed in spite of himself. “Well which is it? You look stressed.”

“I have this horrible feeling that something is going to happen tonight. Something bad.” She got quiet then. “I just don’t know what.”

He looked at her, glancing back at the road every few seconds. “I told you early that nothing is going to happen. I won’t let anything happen to you. I care too much about you.”

“I know I just…”

“How long have we known each other? How long have you trusted me? Don’t stop now!” He raised his voice a bit, but Gia was used to it. After all they had known each other since birth.

“I know! But I can’t help my feelings, Joey! I can’t help that worry! I get it from my mom! Alright? I do trust you but you also know that I care about you and I care about us! The worry that I am feeling…it’s not because I don’t trust you, but because I care about you. You are my best friend, Joey! And not only that, but you are also my boyfriend. Doesn’t that say anything to you? Anything at all? Tell me you understand that.” She took deep breaths now because she was on the verge of tears.

He was silent for a while, trying to find the right words to say when he opened his mouth again. He hadn’t meant to get her yelling. His intention was only to ask her if she was okay. He knew she cared about him and he knew she loved him. Now he was feeling like crap for yelling at her and putting her down. However they were nearing the party and he needed to say something so that they wouldn’t go into it fighting. He hated fighting with her, at anytime really, but he hated it especially when they were going to hang out with people. This was mostly because it would take longer for them to make up.

He knew he needed to say something clever. No matter how much she looked or acted like her mom, she had Landon’s stubborn attitude in fights, and it would take a lot to make her back down.

He kept his eyes locked on the road for a bit while trying to figure all of this out, but Gia knew he was thinking about what to say.

Finally, he sighed and looked at her. “Baby I-”

“Joey!”