When Life Throws You a Curve of Reality

THE POIGNANT CHANGE

Boxes filled the house, clothes were scattered everywhere along with everything else in the house. The house was a disaster. This was difficult for Christy. Just two years before she had been moving into the house she is now moving out of. However, she knew at this point that it wasn’t an option, they needed to leave. They informed Charles about their plans to leave and he left. He was gone for about three weeks; he went and stayed with his brother they assumed. After two weeks all the packing was done and organized. They still, however, had to find a place to stay. The following Sunday when they went to church, the pastor asked them how they were doing. They told him their situation. He said that his sister had a house out it Minnesota that she rents out. He said that he would call her and make arrangements for them to stay there, which they thought sounded like a great idea. Maria said that she would be praying about it and to let her know if it’s available.
After church, Maria asked Christy what she thought about moving out to Minnesota. “Well mom, to be honest, I don’t want to move that far away. I know that it’s probably God’s will and if so then I will go happily. I know God’s got great plans in store for us.” “Oh Honey, I know it will be hard for you having to leave all your friends and everything that you have gotten use to. I pray everyday that God will give you the strength to make it through this.” “Thanks, your prayers must really be coming alive because, for some reason, even though I don’t want to move I still have an abundant amount of peace.” “That’s so reassuring to hear. I feel the same way.”
The next day they began their journey to Minnesota. Christy always enjoyed spontaneous adventures like this; she was very audacious. Although hurt and sadness still filled her heart. She didn’t want to leave her friends even though they did make fun of her. Then she remembered what Zac said, “A friend sticks closer than a brother”. Those words stuck with her and she continually reminded herself that God would bring her new friends, just like He brought Zac into her life.
When Christy and her mom finally reached the house, they were surprised. It was a small house- plenty big for them however. It had a rap around porch, and a beautiful flower garden in the front, and a good size yard. The house was an ivory color with tan shutters. They definitely weren’t expecting such a beautiful house. They grabbed some bags and walked inside. In the front room there was a little bench, a view decorative plans, a picture hung above the bench and on the opposite wall hung a mirror with ivy painted along the edges. They were reassured at the looks of the house. They turned to get more bags and were welcomed by an older woman. “Hello” she said, “I’m Abigail Hogan. You must be Maria and Christy. It’s so nice to meet you.” It’s nice to meet you too. My pastor has told me how wonderful and hospitable you are. We are just so thankful you’re letting us stay here. This is such a beautiful house.” Abigail smile and said, “Thank you. Would you like me to help you with your bags?” “No thank you” Maria said, “ My daughter and I can get it, you have already done so much.” “Okay. If you need any help or have any questions just let me know. I live a couple houses down.” “Thanks Abigail, we will be sure to do so.”
“So Chrsty,” Maria said, “where do you-” when she turned around Christy wasn’t there. She went upstairs and found her spreading a blanket on a bed in one of the rooms upstairs. “Christy, why don’t we get the rest of the stuff out of the van and then set up?” “Oh yeah, good idea. I guess I just got excited. It’s like starting over a brand new beginning. I’ll make new friends, go to a new school, new house-well kind of, and a new Christy. For now on I would like to be called Christa.” Her mom smiled and said, “You forgot a new church. And why do you want to be called Christa all of a sudden?” Christa began walking down stairs. “Because I’m starting over. No longer am I the girl who does everything to get attention. Now I am the girl who’s going to be different. I’m going to be set apart for Christ. ”When she looked back at her mom, she saw her crying. “what’s wrong?” Christa said suddenly. “Christa, nothing is wrong. I am just so proud of you. You are such a blessing to me. It’s so wonderful to see how spiritually strong you have become. Your father would be proud along with your brother.” “Mom, since when do you talk about dad? The only time you talk about him is when you’ve seen him or talked to him.” “Well, I have talked to him.” You have!” Christa said being surprised, “when did you talk to him?” “Yesterday.” Well what did he want?” “We’ve go to get the stuff out of the van. We can talk about this later it’s getting dark.”
The next morning Christa woke up in a bad mood. She didn’t get much sleep because she was up for a long time unpacking. Today she was also going to get registered for home schooling since the end of the school year was almost over. She threw on an outfit and went to the car where her mom was waiting for her. Her mom said that there was a church up the road that she would like to go to on Wednesday. Christa was excited. She still had some emotions she knew she would have to deal with later though.