Meant to Be

3.5

For the sixth time, I flattened the dollar bill against the front of the vending machine by the curb of the truck stop. I just wanted a goddamn coke.

"Are you gonna take like twenty years to get your drink? Cause I was done taking a piss like fifteen minutes ago," Robin said, leaning against the side of the machine.

"As you can see, it won't accept my dollar," I said. Only I didn't really say it. I muttered it.

"Use another dollar," she said, lighting a cigarette.

"You see, I would, but your lover gave me a bunch of tens and twenties." When my dollar was pushed back towards me once again, I wanted to take the vending machine and throw it across the road and into the trees. But several physical attributes of mine made it impossible for me to do so.

"Ask someone around here for change." I bit my lip and looked around at the somewhat deserted area, and spotted an older, filthy looking truck-driver with his stomach over lapping his oil stained-jeans leaning against his truck.

"Well…come with me," I asked her, scratching the back of my neck out of sheer apprehension. She rolled her eyes and started walking towards the man. I followed quickly behind. When we approached him, Robin looked at me, waiting for me to ask him.

"Sir…?" The man lowered his sunglasses and stared at me, waiting for me to continue.

"Do you by chance have change for a ten?" I asked, attempting to sound as nice and innocent as possible.

He stared for a moment longer, then moved his gaze over to Robin, then her chest.

"This your mother?" he asked, chewing what I'm going to assume, for my own gag reflexes, was gum.

"…Yes," I said.

"Well yeah, I got some singles for ya," he said, straightening out against the truck. "But they come at a price."

"A price?"

"I just wanna take your lovely mother inside my truck for a bit. To talk," he said, chewing.

I looked at Robin, who rolled her eyes and climbed into the open door of the front cabin of his truck. He grinned and went after her, shutting the door loudly behind him.

I stared at the closed door for a second, then sat on the gravel to wait.

About fifteen minutes passed and the door opened. Out stepped a grinning truck driver, followed by my "mother" with her shirt on backwards.

The man, pulled his wallet from his pocket and handed me ten singles in exchange for my ten dollar bill. Seems a hell of a lot for some change.

I went back to the machine and got my coke with success while Robin waited.

"So…" I started.

"He just wanted to lick my tits."

A bit more information than I had been asking for, but all suspicions had been cleared with that statement.