‹ Prequel: I Am Fallen.
Status: Trying to update/improve this. November 2012.

Guardian Angels.

I Feel Like a Spy.

Erica's point of view:

The end of school had approached quickly. Me and Zach were stood waiting anxiously for Lou, making sure that we were out of sight in case Aled walked past.

'I'm sort of nervous.' I admitted to Zach. My heart was beating fast against my chest and I clutched Zach's hand tightly.

'Ouch.' Zach muttered. 'Could you loosen up your hold, Erica? I can't feel my hand any more...'

'What? Oh...sorry.' I said sheepishly. 'Do you think that this is a good idea, Zach? Like, do you really think it is?'

'It's your idea, of course it's good.' he told me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. 'Don't panic, we'll look after Aled. If we see anything that could be dangerous, we'll get to him fast to make sure he'll be okay.'

'What if he sees us before the danger arrives? What if he gets angry with us?' I whispered, pressing my face into his arm.

'He won't see us.' Zach said firmly.

'What's shakin' kids.' asked a deep voice and I almost let out a piercing scream if it hadn't have been for Zach's quick thinking. He'd clapped a hand over my mouth before the cry could escape my lips.

'Shh, Erica. It's only Lou.' Zach murmured to me, turning to glare angrily at the guy himself.

I looked at Lou over Zach's shoulder, watching him hold up his hands in defense. He gave me an apologetic smile.

'I'm sorry, Erica. I didn't mean to freak you out or anything.'

I shook my head and pulled back from Zach so I could smack Lou across the chest.

'Well you did! It's a good job that I'm an angel 'cause I was near to having a heart attack' I sighed, rolling my eyes as my heart rate slowed.

'Jeez, next time I'll knock or something.' Lou joked, his face suddenly becoming serious when something caught his attention. 'Aled's out of school.'

I whirled around to follow Lou's line of sight, managing to pinpoint Aled. He was stood near the school gates, his eyes sweeping the departing school children. He was probably trying to find Julie.

Zach snorted from behind me. 'Look how jumpy he is.'

'Zach, that's not very nice. Of course he's jumpy, he's waiting for the girl he likes to appear.' I said disapprovingly.

'Guys, cool it. Keep your minds focused, we're here to protect Aled. Now shut up and keep out of sight.' Lou ordered, pulling my back gently to where he was standing. Zach followed to stand next to me. We watched Aled until Julie came out of school.

I shrank back further into the shadows, praying that Aled wouldn't spot us.

'Man, I feel like a spy.' I mumbled, shuffling behind Lou as we prepared to stalk Aled and Julie.

Aled's point of view:

When the school bell rang to signal the end of the day, I rose from my chair slowly. I could feel a lump growing in my throat and sweat had started to bead up on my forehead.

Damn it! I had to go and get nervous now, of all times!

My eyes shifted out of focus as I weaved in and out of the other students, I guess it helped that they usually move out of my way. I probably would have knocked into someone if they hadn't.

All I could think of was that I was going to meet Julie, right now. Julie Roberts, who was for some reason displaying an interest in me that I couldn't comprehend. She was pretty and popular, I was a loser.

Jared had made sure that I knew I was a loser...so why didn't Julie know it too? She was with the 'in' crowd, it was just unnatural for her to even talk to me.

Still, it was too late to have doubts now. I was meeting up with her, regardless of the abnormality of it. Suddenly I had grown self conscious, I was actually attempting to smooth down my hair in a fruitless effort to look remotely reasonable.

'Dammit, Aled. Get a grip!' I growled to myself, trying hard not to slap myself around the face.

That was all I needed, for Julie to witness me going crazy and slapping myself.

I'd made it outside in a daze, my mind straining to remember even getting through the corridors. I waited on edge by the school gates, scanning the congregation of pupils for both Julie and Jared.

For some reason, I felt as if I was being watched. I tried to shake the feeling but it wouldn't budge. I hoped that it wasn't Jared, lurking in a hidden space. He'd have a field day if he caught me with Julie.

So much that I was concentrating on trying to locate Jared that I almost forgot about Julie. She tapped me on my shoulder and I jumped a mile from the ground, the fear was evident in my gasp.

'Aled, are you alright?' Julie said anxiously.

I nodded insistently to her, trying to prove that I was okay. Whether it was more for her or for me, I don't know.

'You ready to go?' she asked, still looking slightly concerned.

'Yeah, sure. Let's go.' I breathed, taking one last glance around to make sure Jared wasn't about.