You're No Good At Lying

Chapter XVI

It was a particularly hot day at their next stop, and while heat was something that, growing up in Florida, Spencer was used to, this heat was a sticky, wet heat. And that made it all that much worse. She took a large gulp from her water bottle, wishing that the temperature of the water could have stayed just a bit cooler. “Morgan! Andrew!” Spencer called a few seconds later, waving to her brother and his friend. While the argument with Morgan last night had largely been forgotten, something about Andrew still felt off. And when Andrew didn’t even acknowledge her greeting, Spencer became sure of it.

“Get back to work!” Morgan yelled back with a laugh, adjusting the mirrored aviators he had bought at their last stop. Though he insisted to anyone who asked that they were real ray bans, Spencer knew better.

“Yeah, whatever,” Spencer mumbled, sitting back in the blue folding chair that had been lent to her by another girl selling merchandise. A few more hours passed – slowly, being the best way to describe it – and every so often Spencer would be mobbed by groups of fans, demanding shirts and posters. When she was alone, Spencer would take out the paper work she still needed to fill out for her transfer to California.

There was more to transferring colleges than she had originally thought.

Still, the idea of being with Zack all the time was enough to make it all worth it. She set down the papers carefully, placing her water bottle on top of them so the wind wouldn’t accidently blow them away. Glancing up, she saw clearly Zack with Jack and their tour manager, Matt, looking like they were in a heated discussion. From what Spencer had learned of Jack, she was surprised to see that whenever Matt stopped talking Jack didn’t respond. Instead, Zack – her quiet, relaxed Zack – fought back.

Finally Jack and Matt walked away, leaving Zack standing and staring at them with a frustrated scowl on his face. He turned towards Spencer’s table, and Spencer waved to him softly. While his expression softened significantly, he merely waved back and turned to walk towards his bus.

Not towards Spencer.

Towards his bus.

She sat there in shock, trying to remember a single time when Zack had waved to her but not approached her. She couldn’t. And even when Spencer didn’t wave to him, he still walked up to her.

Spencer tried to chalk it up to him being frustrated with Matt, but she couldn’t just leave it at that. She – secretly, of course – considered herself to be an expert at figuring out what Zack was thinking, and the frustration his body language expressed was more than him just being angry with his tour manager.

And while Spencer figured that it was her job as his girlfriend to make sure he was all right, she couldn’t hide the curiously that pounded in her mind.

After all, this was Spencer O’leary he was dating.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shoooooort.
But important =]

Thanks for sticking with me as I wrap up my junior year! (Life sucks. College? Please. I'm joining a nudist colony when I graduate next year.)