You're No Good At Lying

Chapter XIX

Spencer never really had any reason to be depressed before.

And yet for some reason or another, she found herself going through an entire carton of chocolate chip ice cream with just a spoon and a single napkin to help her out. She didn’t know why she was doing it; perhaps it was her minute feminine instincts telling her to mope around and be upset. Whatever the case may be, Spencer looked like a wreck, sporting a pair of her brother’s basketball shorts and a dingy, off-white t-shirt.

“What’re you doing?” Questioned Ian, the drummer for the band she worked for. Spencer just shrugged.

“I think I’m supposed to be upset.” He blinked a couple of times, knowing that the only three people who were able to somewhat figure Spencer out were Morgan, Andrew and Zack. He exited the bus, not even bothering to try. In an attempt to extract the last bit of ice cream from the carton, the spoon slipped from her hand and fell on to the multi-colored rug. While the newly formed white stain blended in seamlessly with the rest of the carpet, the small bits of string that clung to the spoon were enough for Spencer to put the utensil back into the carton and shove it all aside on the table.

She wasn’t hungry anymore.

Now, what Spencer wanted more than ever before was company. She wanted someone to talk to, to get her mind off of things that it had previously be dwelling on. Grabbing a nearby sweatshirt that had been strewn over the sofa (she assumed from the faded cologne smell and scratchy interior that it was Andrew’s, but she wasn’t sure) and pulled it on, not caring that two out of the three pieces of clothing she was wearing belonged to boys.

Andrew and Morgan were, as always, fooling around on the stage, when they should have been preparing for the upcoming show. Andrew strummed wildly on the guitar he ought to have been tuning, his blonde hair flying everywhere, and Morgan gyrated his hips against the microphone stand. Spencer titled her head from the side of the stage, crossing her arms over her chest. “I don’t think that’s how rock stars get girls,” she chimed in suddenly, catching both of them off guard.

“Hey!” Exclaimed Andrew. “That’s my favorite sweatshirt!”

“I know,” she replied calmly, taking a few steps on to the stage.

“So you took it anyway?”

“I didn’t take it. You left it lying around.” Spencer gripped the ends of the sleeves tighter, silently hoping that he wouldn’t take it back.

“Oh,” he muttered, looking down at the guitar that was hanging across his body. “Well, you look good in it.”

“Thanks,” she replied, kicking at a lose wire that was snaking its way across the stage. “So,” Spencer began, clapping her hands together to show her excitement for what was so come. “What’s happening tonight?”

Morgan shrugged. “I was thinking we could rent a movie?”

“Dude!” Screamed Andrew, and he tossed his hands in the air in obvious excitement. “That new horror movie that just came out on pay-per-view looks killer!” Morgan smiled and nodded, and it seemed as though that in merely ten seconds their plans for the night were solidified. But Spencer wasn’t having any of it.

“No, no, no,” she pressed. “There’s two weeks left of tour, and you guys want to spend it watching cheesy horror movies? I didn’t realize we were back in the eighth grade.”

Andrew scoffed quietly, “I watched horror movies in ninth grade, too.” But Spencer didn’t listen.

“Lets party tonight, guys! Lets do something exciting!”

------------

“Maybe tonight won’t be so bad,” mumbled Andrew, pulling on the sleeves of the sweatshirt he had finally managed to take back from Spencer. He didn’t say anything, but the faint scent that remained of her fruity shampoo and choice laundry detergent were enough to make him so whatever Spencer asked of him.

“That’s the spirit,” laughed Spencer, shoving her hands in the pockets of her high-waisted jean shorts. Morgan scoffed, still visibly upset about not being able to watch the movie they had originally wanted to see. Nevertheless, with the persuasions of his best friend and younger sister, he agreed to accompany them to the nightclub that Spencer had found on the internet.

By the time they had arrived, the club was packed. Already the three of them could see people from the tour, which especially lifted Morgan’s spirits. At least he wouldn’t have to deal with Andrew drooling all over Spencer for the entire night.

“Three coronas, please!” Yelled Morgan over the thumping music of the club, while the two other young adults scanned the dance floor. After distributing the cold bottles of beer to Spencer and Andrew, they clinked the drinks together.

“To music, drinking, and fun times!” Exclaimed Andrew, and they all drank in agreement.

“C’mon!” Spencer said, putting down her half empty drink and grabbing the hands of the two boys. “Lets dance!”

Somewhere along the way to the middle of the dance floor, they lost Morgan, but neither of them seemed to care. Andrew grasped his beer tightly in one hand, the other resting on Spencer’s hip. Her back pressed against his chest, Spencer loved how, if only for the moment, she had lost herself in the crowd of grinding people. There wasn’t anything special about her, she was just another girl grinding against another guy.

Andrew pulled her that much closer into him, continually keeping an eye out for people he didn’t want to be around (namely, Zack) but finding it hard to concentrate when someone like Spencer was rubbing against him. He felt the bottle leave his hand, and watched with fascination as she finished off the last bit of his beverage. “Do you want more?” He yelled over the music, but she just shook his head and turned to face him.

Andrew would have sworn up and down that she was the one who had kissed him, and Spencer wouldn’t have denied it.

No one on the dance floor cared about the two young adults making out in front of him or her. No one knew that she had a boyfriend, that he had been ignoring her for a week straight. None of it mattered anymore.

Not to Spencer, at least.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I promised to get this out last night, but after I finished writing it at 2:30 in the morning, I literally fell asleep at my computer xD
My mom woke me up this morning and was like "Jay!?! Why're you still wearing your jeans!?!"