Panic Over; Party Off, Party On

Chapter XVII

Our apartment wasn’t exactly like we had imagined it to be, but it was pretty close. Zack wanted an apartment right near the beach, but we decided that it was better for it to be closer to my school. In the end though we had found a healthy compromise: an apartment complex that was a ten minute walk from my school, and a twenty minute walk from the beach. Still, for all of the rainy days, Zack and I had splurged on a pre-owned car. The apartment itself had two bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen and a living room. The guest bedroom Zack and I had split into a study/music room (though when Zack was on tour like he was now, I took over it) like we had originally planned. We had also gotten the big bed we had wanted, but whenever Zack wasn’t home I regretted it. I had to buy extra pillows just so I could fill all of the empty space up. Still, the bed felt like the best of my room and the best of his room, because it was our room.

I had never imagined myself to be the kind of girl who enjoyed housework of any kind. Being just another suburban housewife was never something I aspired to be. But once Zack and I began renting our apartment, I found myself doing chores and work with a smile on my face. There was something very satisfying about doing the laundry and washing the dishes, something very therapeutic. I didn’t allow myself to do anything but cleaning after my fight with Eric, and while I told myself it was to prepare for Zack coming home, I knew it was just so I wouldn’t have to think about everything.

My foot tapped anxiously as I stood in the airport, watching as people came, went, and reunited with loved ones – much to my dismay, as I stood waiting for Zack’s flight to land. I tied my hair back in a messy bun and bit my lip nervously. The butterflies in my stomach erupted every time I saw someone who may have been him, only to have my heart sink a little when I realized it wasn’t him. Finally my eyes caught someone lugging two duffle bags and a guitar case. His hair was disheveled and he looked beyond tired, but there was no doubt that it was Zack.

“Zack!” I exclaimed, waving my hands and taking a step forward. I saw him look around quickly, trying to find my voice, and when he saw me and smiled I couldn’t help but run up to him and jump into his arms. “I missed you so much,” I said to him softly when our lips had finally pulled apart.

“I missed you, too,” He responded. We stayed like this for a few seconds, his arms wrapped around my waist and mine around his neck.

“You ready to go home?” I finally asked, and he nodded. “You look exhausted.”

“I am,” replied Zack, and I smiled softly before kissing him again. I grabbed his guitar case and he picked up his two duffle bags. The car ride home was filled with laughter as Zack told me as many stories he could, and then as I kept him updated with all of my class work and the projects I had to turn in. Zack even said he was proud of me, and it felt like I was flying. I used to crave Eric’s constant approval, but now the occasional comment from Zack was all I really needed. Everything else I could provide for myself.

-----------

I guess Zack wasn’t too tired for sex, because as we lay in bed with the sheets tangled all around us, Zack looked completely at peace, while I struggled to catch my breath. I scooted closer to Zack, resting my head on his chest and feeling his arm snake around my middle. “You’re happy to be home?” I asked quietly.

“Happier than I could ever tell you.” I smiled and cuddled just a little bit closer. “So when are you going to text Eric? He feels really bad. And that’s a big deal for him.” I couldn’t argue with that. Eric never admitted he was wrong.

I groaned. “Why did you have to ruin the moment?” I mumbled. I suppose it was a useless question, but I had to ask anyways. “How did you find out?”

Zack chuckled. “Really Remy? You still have to ask?”

I looked up at him. “Can you just take Rian’s phone away from him, please?” I begged.

“Well I’m glad he told me, because I know if he didn’t you’d never forgive Eric.”

“Why should I?” I grumbled.

“Because you both fucked up, so now you’re both even. Just text him that you apologize and that you forgive him, and start out fresh.”

“It doesn’t work like that, Zack.” I whined, and I saw him roll his eyes.

“C’mon, Remy. This has been dragged out for nearly three years now. You have a chance to make everything better.” I sighed and reached across him to the nightstand where my phone was. With steady thumbs I texted just what Zack had told me to text him.

To: Eric

im sorry, and i forgive you.

“Is that all I should say?” I questioned, showing Zack the typed message.

“Perfect,” he responded, kissing the top of my head. I closed my eyes and pressed send, almost waiting for the phone to explode in my hand. I felt Zack gently pry it from my hands and put it back on the nightstand before kissing me passionately. “I love you Remy.”

“I love you too, Zack.”

I didn’t see Eric’s response until a few days later when I remembered I had left my phone on the nightstand instead of my in chemistry class, but by that time Eric had already texted me back.

To: Remy

id always knew we would have our own happy ending :D
♠ ♠ ♠
So I hope you guys liked this story! Comments?