Flash of Violet

11/22/10; 11:15 AM

Tom had just stepped through the front door with his gift for Oliver. Just as he turned to close the door, Oli came barreling out of the bathroom.

"Aye!" Tom yelled, putting the present behind his back, "What in God's name are yeh doin' up?"

Oli covered his eyes, "What? I ain't allowed teh be awake?"

"No. It's like ten in the mornin'."

"It's fifteen past eleven Tom," Oli laughed, "Can I uncover meh eyes now?"

Tom finally managed to smuggle the comic books under his jacket, "Erm yeah, 'appy birthday."

Oli grinned, uncovering his eyes, seeing that Tom had his hands up his jacket, "When do I get meh gift?"

"Aren't yeh 'aving some kinda party tonight or somethin'?"

"No, think 'm just gonna invite Matt and 'is bird over, maybe 'er friend over fer a movie."

"Oh yeah?"

Oli nodded, "I was thinkin' of askin'…" He trailed off, "Well never mind."

"'m gonna go wrap yer gift."

With that, Tom walked past Oli and into his room, closing the door. He pulled the books out of his shirt and threw them on the bed. He was immediately angry he'd bought them, he didn't want to spend all night around Oli and 'his' friends. There was no doubt Oli was at least trying to make some changes. He hadn't been getting smashed lately and he'd decided not to throw a party since the one on Halloween. Tom figured he was just going to use that as an excuse to get completely hammered tonight, but he hadn't even brought it up. He'd also treating Tom like he was actually human. He constantly asked Tom if he wanted to go out and take some pictures. They'd even sat down once or twice and drew a few designs for Drop Dead, which ended up being complete shit.

But that didn't really matter to Tom or Oli. Tom felt like he was some part of Oli's life again and Oli felt a little less fucked up. But Tom didn’t think he mattered that much to Oliver. He knew Oli wasn't a selfish person, but he also knew he wasn't Oli's main priority.

Violet was the only thing Tom could think of as the reason for Oli's sudden change in his entire life style. He'd embarrassed the shit out of himself in front of her and then redeemed himself when they'd gone bowling. Now, all he had to do was invite her over and prove to her that he wasn't a giant arse and they'd be good to go.

And Tom knew he should be thankful, because something was finally making Oli happy, which would in turn make Ian and Carol happy, because they'd no longer have to worry. And in a round about way, it'd make Tom happy, as he wouldn’t have to give Carol weekly Oli reports any longer.

But Tom was still upset. He was sick of Oli getting so much pity and sympathy from everyone. Even if Vi only dated him out of pity, she'd ultimately end up falling in love with him. Oli was genuine, and that got him where he wanted, when he wanted, with whoever the fuck he wanted. What every girl wants is someone who is honest and treats them well, which was something Oli seemed to have perfected.

Tom sighed loudly and rummaged through his closet for a birthday bag. He stuck the comics in it and pulled a piece of paper from the blank notebook sitting on his desk top and a Sharpie out of the drawer.

Happy 24th Ols, hope it's a good one!

He dropped the folded up piece of paper into the bag and set it on the floor. He laid back on his bed and groaned, throwing his arms behind his head and closing his eyes.

------------------------------------------------------

A loud knock startled Tom awake and he opened his eyes to see Matt in the door way, only one side of his mouth lifted up in a smirk.

"'Ello Tom."

"'Ey Matt." Tom said, rolling over in his bed and stretching.

"It's 'alf past four, why're yeh sleepin'?"

Tom shrugged, sitting up, "Dunno. I was tired."

"Well get up an' bring Olleh's gift with yeh, we're gettin' ready fer cheesecake."

"Right well."

Tom rolled off his bed and walked across his room, looking at himself in the mirror, as he'd remembered Violet was coming over. He could only hear Oli yapping at Matt and Casey laughing louder than she really needed to, but Violet never spoke much to begin with. Tom smoothed out the wrinkles in his shirt and jeans. He then ran his hands through his hair and checked for any eye gunk. Then, reached over and grabbed a piece of gum, sticking it in his mouth. He picked up Oli's present and walked into the kitchen. He set the bag down on the counter and said a quick hello to Casey.

"'ow was yer nap?" Oli asked.

"Good. Musta been tired. I didn't even realize I fell asleep 'til Matt came in and woke meh up."

He looked into the living room and carefully peered onto the porch. No Violet. He wanted to ask where she was, but thought better of it, and figured she just might be in the wash room. Instead, he busied himself by getting a piece of cheese cake.

"So," Oli said, noticing Tom's behavior, "Is Violet comin' over later?"

"No." Casey snapped quickly.

Tom's face fell and he set his fork on the edge of his plate, not thinking much before opening his mouth, "Why not?"

"We ain't talkin' anymore."

Tom's stomach sank further into his abdomen. Now the only time he'd ever get to see or talk to Violet, she'd have to be wrapped around Oliver.

"Aye, 'm sorry." Tom spoke quietly, not only for Casey, but for himself as well.

"'ts alright. Was 'er choice."

"That's too bad," Oli paused, "I 'ad somethin' teh ask 'er."

Tom glared over at his brother, not letting his gaze catch Oli's. Of course he had something to fucking ask her. He'd probably pull his stupid, "Can I have a birthday kiss?" bit. He just wanted Violet so bad. And it pissed Tom off to no end that he had no chance with her at all.

Tom shoved another bite of cheesecake in his mouth and looked out the window, wishing he knew more about Violet than the fact that she was no longer friends with Casey and was soon going to be Oli's new girlfriend.

He sighed loudly, almost feeling bad for assuming the worst, but it got hard not to when he always ended up being right. Especially when the things assumed concerned Oliver.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story's folding up soon, so I'd like to hear predictions. :D What do you think is going to happen?