Status: complete

A Promise Lives Within You Now

Legolas Greenleaf - A Promise Lives Within You Now - One Shot

My chest heaved, in and out, in and out, in and out. Breathe, I told myself, Breathe. My feet thumped against the ground as I ran deeper and deeper into the forest. The branches extended over any remains of a trail there once was. The twigs scratched at my skin, my clothes, my hair. There was silence all around me except for my own choppy breaths and foot falls.

Mirkwood was a terrible place to be running. The trees grew tall, obstructing virtually every ray of light that tried to penetrate the branches. Roots of the trees peaked up from the dirt without warning, and when you were running in the dark they weren't the easiest things to see. Bugs loomed around eye level, smacking against my face every now and again.

At times I would pause to catch my breath- my lungs ached for the littlest bit of oxygen in this place. The air was dense here, so tightly knit. Sometimes when I stopped I could hear the far off grunting and stomps of my followers. The sound pushed me on, for I knew better than to assume I was safe. The forests of Mirkwood were a labyrinth, with umpteen dead ends, shortcuts, but only two exits. Or entrances. However you preferred to think of them.

I needed an exit. I knew that I would survive, that much I could see. But I also saw a fight, a duel and dead goblins. In all truth I did not believe I had the strength to fight. Not right now, at least. But I pushed on, replaying the words of my father in my head. They were a fuel, of sorts, propelling me through the wood.

"Go onward, child. Seek out safety in the northern realms, and stay buried until this passes. The fates have yet to reveal your final destiny, and so you must live until the time has come. Go, child. And bear the blessings of us all. Do not forget our love for you."

Hearing his voice in my head, remembering the loving stare from him, it calmed my soul. I fancied imagining myself back in Lothlorien, sneaking to my secret space that I was sure I'd found first. It was deep in the forest- just like I was in reality -and led to an underground cave like space. It was under one of the older trees, just my size. At least, it had been just my size, in my early years.

My childhood was gone, and I was growing now. I'd embraced my gift when my mother explained it, told me why I saw the things I did and why I was different from the other elf children. Putting out of my mind the current predicament, I was able to run faster and for longer. I swore I was nearing the edge of the forest. If I didn't know any better, I would have sworn the trees were thinning out.

And suddenly, a figure stepped before me about to raise what I knew would be a sword. I dug my heels into the dirt to halt my sprinting, ripping out a blade of my own. My chest rose and lowered as my eyes adjusted. The figure before me was an elf, older than me but not yet near his elder years. His blonde hair hung down past his shoulders, pieces tied back just like those of Sindar descent.

"You are no goblin." He said, confusion painted on his fair skin. I smiled, lowering my weapon. His form was bright before me, indicating that I was to know much of him. The thoughts came to me one by one, a series of images and words all caught up in a web.

"Legolas Greenleaf, son of Thranduil. Your father is still the king of this realm, I hope?" I asked. His confusion multiplied as he too lowered his sword.

"Yes, you know of us?" He asked. His eyes narrowed ever so slightly and his head cocked to the side as he tried to determine if I was known to him or not.

"You live and rule over the Silvan elves yet you appear like a Sinda." I commented.

"My father and I once lived in Lindon." He said, taking a step towards me.

"Yes, your past shines. But your future is brighter still." I remarked. His mouth opened as he prepared to speak, but I halted him with a rise of my hand. I listened closely as the seconds passed. One...Two...Three...Four...Five...And the grunts came. Close. Spinning around, I narrowed my eyes to see through the branches. "It seems my own future has met me." I said to Legolas. The air was cut as he rose his weapon, and I followed suit.

"Have they followed you from the mountains?" Legolas asked in a quiet voice. They had yet to notice us.

"No, Isengard. I do not ask you to fight with me." I said, turning to face him. He struggled for words to say, but I found them. "But I think you will stay. Your father taught you well when you were still in Lindon." I smiled. Then I returned my gaze to the goblins hobbling towards us. From what I could see there were about six. I cleared my throat, calling their attention to me. They roared and began to barrel through the thicket.

I wasn't the most skilled fighter, but I knew now that the both of us would come out of this victorious. Together we'd defeat this group of goblins and he would bring me to see his father in their kingdom. With a final breath the goblins reached us, all stinking and sweating, their mouths hanging open and releasing a horrible stench.

They came at us without mercy or stamina. Like ravenous beasts they repeatedly lunged, hacking away at the air surrounding us. And although the thought of taking a life would usually make me sick, I would spare my conscience this time for the sake of fulfilling my parent's wishes. Sliding my sword through the air, it collided with the orc's leathery skin and expunged black blood. He fell to the ground as the next two simultaneously attacked.

They may have had brutal methods, but they had no strategy whatsoever. As far as they were concerned, if they threw themselves at you enough times you'd eventually get hit by their metal shanks. But as elves, Legolas and I had the advantage of tactics. One of the many privileges of elven nature was intuition. It was possible to feel where an attack was coming from, and act on it, without turning around.

So with enough focus, I was able to defeat another one of my attackers. As I plunged the sword into the orc's flesh the other one stabbed me. The blade pierced my upper arm, and as my hand went to clutch the wound Legolas drove his sword deep into the goblin's skull. He collapsed like a doll, crashing onto the ground.

"You're hurt." He said in a disapproving tone. I smiled.

"Nothing that time cannot heal." I said simply, sheathing my sword and applying pressure once more to my arm. "Would you mind if I had a little assistance from your people?"

"It would be my pleasure." He responded. As he lead me through the trees, the light became more and more apparent. I was ecstatic when the sun warmed my skin after what felt like a lifetime. "May I ask your name?"

"Oh yes, I do believe an introduction of my own would be nice." I laughed, cursing my forgetfulness. "I'm Maria Galithdal from the woods of Lothlorien. Alalotiel is my mother and Authion is my father."

"You live under Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel?"

"Yes, and had they known I were to meet with Thranduil's son they would send their regards." I smiled.

"When you return, please send them mine." He said, and I nodded. "You speak as if your words are from the elder years, but your age cannot be more than mine."

"Tell me, Prince, have you any knowledge of the Inlinya?" I wondered aloud.

"The race of oracles, blessed with the gift of foresight." He nodded.

"Well, I am of Inlinya descent, and one of the few left. Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond, of Rivendell, there are only a handful of us left. I happen to be the youngest, and when Saruman came to know of this he began sending scouts. He wants to recruit me, use me for his will in whatever plans he is brewing in that fortress." I explained.

"So you fled to Mirkwood?" He asked as we approached his palace. I shook my head.

"I was headed for the northern most realms, those on the boarders of Hobbiton. The enemy would not extend his arm so far in search of one tool. But as I walked along side the mountains I was ambushed. Which brought me here." I smiled. "What were you doing in the woods alone?" I asked.

"Lord Elrond called a meeting for the different races of Middle Earth, and I leave for Rivendell six moons from now." He explained.

"So this is important." I nodded. He looked around to make sure no others were around before leaning closer to speak.

"My father has spoken to me in secret. He tells me that we have found Isildur's bane. The one ring formed by Sauron himself." He said, his voice laced with both fear and excitement. We reached the doors and they opened immediately. The tell-tale dreamy voices of elves singing drafted into my ears as we entered the palace.

"And Elrond wants the help of you all to decide what to do." I stated, and Legolas nodded as he lead me through some hallways. "Do not strain yourself- the decision has already been made. Your destiny extends much farther than the waterfalls of Rivendell." I said, smiling at the images flying through my head. They didn't make sense now, but as usually I knew they would later.

________________________________

A few elves helped fix up my arm and gave me a clean dress to wear. They helped me with my hair so that I would be presentable for the king, and gave me the much desired privilege of a bath. Once I was all clean and ready, I stepped out of the suite and was faced with Thranduil's son. He smiled warmly, and was much easier to see now that we were out of the dark of Mirkwood.

"My father is eager to meet you." He said and motioned for me to follow him. I joined his side as we wandered along the hallways in silence. He brought me to a grand hall, inside of which sat an elf with long dark hair and a golden head dress. His robes were long and brown, with flickers of red and orange like the leaves outside his palace. I bowed when we reached him, speaking with respect.

"Lord Thranduil."

"Maria, daughter of Authion. Young oracle of Lothlorien." He said with a pleasant smile upon his face. "What a pleasure it is to have you in my house. I do hope you are hungry, we are working on the most magnificent feast. It has been a century since we've had a guest. At least, an elven guest." He chuckled.

"Thank you, my lord." I replied politely, smiling warmly at him. He nodded once in response.

"Now I shall call upon you when the food is prepared, until then I have asked my son to keep you company. If you should need a thing at all, simply say so." He nodded.

**

"And here we were, a city full of elves and a strong prison. A band of dwarves unable to escape, and a hobbit- a hobbit- is able to both elude our guards and set free all of his friends." Legolas was telling me the story of a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins and his adventure with Gandalf the Gray and a host of dwarves. I was in stitches.

"How ever did they get out?" I asked. The two of us were sitting on the railing of his balcony, the cool night air crisp in my lungs. I had been invited to stay here, and because of my acceptance I had been spending time with Legolas. A lot of time.

"They escaped in empty barrels using our trading system." He explained. I couldn't contain my laughter if I tried. My laughter was too much, and my body began to slide away from the banister. By the time the fear set in and my laughter ceased, Legolas was already back on solid ground and pulling me back. It happened too fast for anything to really register, except for the fact that I was now flat against his chest with his arms around me.

I felt my cheeks go red at our close proximity, and even more red by the fact that neither of us were really letting go of each other. And the glimpse of what I saw in his future at that moment only made things worse. Us. Betrothed. My heart sped up extremely fast as I looked up at him. I had no idea what I was supposed to say. Or do. So I just stood there, waiting for him to do something.

His eyes danced from mine to my lips, and back to my eyes. My heart skipped a beat. He would be gone tomorrow. This was the last time I would see him for a while. The journey he was about to embark on would be more than he bargained for, but would be worth while in the end. But I was bound to secrecy, and could not reveal to him what I had seen of the future. I wanted him to do what he was going to.

So when he lowered his lips to mine, I had no objection.

My hands traveled up around his neck as he held me tightly against him, the originally safe kiss growing slowly in a crescendo. My entire body tingled, but it was nothing like what went on in my mind. A thousand images flew past my mind, his past. It was like I had an insight into everything that had led up to this point in a matter of seconds. It made my brain throb, and so I pulled away.

"I'm sorry," He said at once. "I shouldn't have-"

"Shh." I interrupted, connecting our lips briefly once more to show him I had no problem with it. "You need sleep, dear Prince. Your days of luxury will soon cease." I said, but smiled. I didn't want him thinking things would get too terrible. He smiled back, and I intertwined our fingers. "You're coming back, Legolas." I said.

"I believe I have a reason to, now." He smiled.

"Do you promise not to forget me?" I asked childishly. He laughed, his finger trailing down my cheek.

"Ni ber." He whispered. I smiled once more, connecting our lips as a final gesture before I retreated from his presence. He needed sleep, he would be gone early in the morning.

And I would wait.

_____________________________________

One year, three days. One year and three days away from him, missing him, yearning to see him after knowing him so short a time. My mother always told me true love was instantaneous, and that it never ever faded away. It outlived all other things, dominated over evil and triumphed over sadness.

Thranduil had taken me in as his own daughter, bestowing gifts and praise and love upon me. He was family to me, like a very humourous and entertaining uncle. I enjoyed every moment I spent in his palace. It was a beautiful place, and quite refreshing from Lothlorien. As you grow older you want to see different places, and all I'd known my entire life had been Lothlorien.

"He is coming today, my lord." I promised, as the impatient father grew more weary every minute. The sun was setting, and his worries grew with the darkness.

"Do you know for certain? Have you before been wrong?" He asked weakly. I smiled, kissing him on the cheek.

"Shall I sing you a song?" I asked, getting up from my seat on the arm of his throne.

"I have not the heart to hear it." He mumbled. I frowned, preparing to exercise my vocal chords. But one of the elves brought to me a letter. Confused, I wondered who would have sent one.

Opening it, there was a small silver ring inside. I took it out and admired it, but couldn't for the life of me figure out it's purpose. Until it hit me. He was here. I gasped, turned, and fled towards the door. I maneuvered my way through the many hallways until I reached the front gates.

He was standing there, hands behind his back and completely clean. I was about to question his lack of dirt when I figured he must have met civilization along his way home. He caught sight of me and grinned. I ran towards him, leaping into his arms like a child. He laughed against my hair, holding me just as tightly as I held him.

I pulled away only to kiss him, savoring the moment as if it were our last. He held both of my hands as he moved away to look me in the eyes.

"I had half expected you to have run off with one of my kin." He said. I laughed.

"And give you up? Not a chance in Mordor." I joked.

"You cut your hair." He remarked, eyes dancing over my shorter hair as his hands felt the strands.

"You didn't." I teased, flicking back his long, perfectly straight hair. He gently stroked my cheek, and my body curled towards the action. My love for him had only grown in the absence, and it hit me now like an onslaught of water. And I liked it. He took my hand in his and straightened the ring.

"Do you like it?" He asked. I nodded vigorously. He smiled. "Would you like to wear it on the other finger?"

My eyes widened as I understood what he said, and squealed in glee. I threw my arms around his neck and cried out yes a thousand times over. He connected our lips and I saw his past once more. The journey. All he had been through. All to come back to me.

Our feelings were mutual. Sudden, almost unexplainable, but mutual. It felt almost like having a secondary shield, between any who wanted me for themselves, or dead. But this entire war was over now. Middle Earth was entering a new age, and I would be spending eternity with a blonde elvish princeling who had a fancy for wandering woods alone.

Well, he wouldn't be alone anymore.