Status: Coming along...

I Don't Know You, But We Can Change That

He's Got Inside My Head

The morning passed in a blur, With an AP English and Calc on my plate and sprinkle in Journalism and Choir I was relatively unharmed. Besides because of how much of a nerd I am, English and math are my strong points in academia. Yeah I’m totally that one person. Aside from Homeroom, Devin wasn’t in any of my classes. He was taking Calc 2 and had taken English credit at the nearby university. Figures, he was a nerd behind that exterior of not caring. All explained to me during homeroom when I pouted that he got out two periods early instead of one like Sara and I.

So here I was heading to the senior court and hoping that I could find Sara amongst the crowd when Tara jumped out and nearly scared me.

“AAAh! Jesus T do you not know you can’t throw that face onto unsuspecting humans.”

“Oh baby,” Tara cooed as she linked arms with me and we expertly wormed our way through the lunch crowd, “You know you want all of this.” She said while gesturing to her body.

“Oh how did you ever find out!?”

“I see you watching my, trying to catch me riding dirty.”

“Dear lord!!!” I exasperated as we made it to the furthest table. It was set apart from the rest and nestled under a tree. It had the most writing as any table but it had its charm. Besides not everyone wanted to sit in the coveted water fountain, where the richest of them sat nibbling on air to keep their womanly stick figures, no we loved our discolored table.

As we neared Sara jumped from her seat and charged at Tara and me. Once we were a pile on the floor Sara thought it an opportune time to mention that Devin and crew were sitting with us.

“Seriously?” I whispered to the two.

“ Maddie, what’s wrong? You’ve crushing on him since you practically walked in here.” Sara questioned as she began to stand up again.

“I know Sara. It’s just…nevermind.” I began to walk away and put on a fake smile on my face before Tara grabbed me by the wrist.

“Because he dropped with no explanation and suddenly is making an appearance.” I gave her a confused look. She sighed then averted her gaze to the table and looked me in the eye and simply said, “Devin.”

“I’m a big girl it will be fine.” I plastered a simple smile and walked up to our table. When I neared the table I jumped on top of it and laid back.

“Well hello there.” Matt, Tara’s cousin, slyly said with a smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes and turned the other way putting me face to face with Devin.

“Ignore him. He thinks he has game.” I laughed while Matt whined about not being appreciated for his mad skills with the lady.

“Clearly he’s delusional.” Tara stated near the table and using my tummy as a pillow.

“Comfy?”

“Very.” Tara mumbled with her head buried in her arms. I simply pushed her off me and slid into the seat in front of Tara and next to Devin. Tara gave me a knowing look and I quickly grabbed my journal and pen out of my backpack to distract from her gaze.

“You’re in Mrs. Cho’s class for health, right?” Devin questioned

“Uhm, yeah sixth period.”

“Glad to know I’m not the only senior that was holding off on taking health.”

“Ugh seriously it’s like biology but set to make you feel uncomfortable.” Devin chuckled as Tara quirked her eyebrow at me.

“Surprise, surprise you’d be uncomfortable talking about sex.” Tara taunted.

“Please you’re forgetting that Shane is studying to be an OBGYN and loves to explain beyond what is necessary, and my parents won’t let us forget that we had to come in to the world somehow. The sex talk is fine but when you add parents to the equation. Sooooo awkward!”

“Hey! At least your parents are cool about it. I mean your dad laughed when your brother Shane gave you a box of condoms for your eighteenth birthday, mine said I wasn’t allowed to date until I’m 30, which is why I’m steering clear of boyfriends and dating.” Sara complained.

“Yeah and I’m sure that’s why you haven’t been in the dating scene.” Tara stated.

“A box of condoms?” Devin blurted and Albert laughed.

“Dude that was hilarious! Our little Maddie turned into a tomato when she saw what he got her.” Devin looked at me to explain.

“Ugh! Okay seriously my brother was freaking out because my mom suggested I get on the pill.” Devin looked at me and I rolled my eyes. “No, not what you’re thinking they are used for other things than preventing pregnancy.”

“Yeah besides she’s all virginal.”

“Shut it. Anyways he said that he thought I should have all my bases covered. I told him that was rather unnecessary and I’d preferred just getting the charm bracelet he got me.”

“Your brother’s hot.”

“Seriously Tara!!! Are you trying to make me lose my appetite?”

“Just stating a fact.”

“Technically that’s an opinion.” Sara squeaked as Albert began to poke and probe her sides.

“Whatever.”

“So, Sara you sure there aren’t other reasons you’re still single besides your father?” I questioned.

Sara rolled her eyes at me and Devin laughed while Tara and I exchanged a knowing looks. I went back to getting my lunch from my backpack. PB&J and banana sandwich! Score got to love my mom for making my favorite for my first day back to class.

“PB&J?” Matt sneered. “You do realize you’re a senior. Right?”

“Yes Matthew, it is a PB&J sandwich. Good boy.” I said as patted his head. “Besides,” I explained, “you are never too old for PB&J.”

“I’m not a dog.” Matt stated as he glared as he tousled his back into it's perfectly unkempt way.

“You sure about that?” Tara questioned.

“You’d be one to talk.” Matt shot back.

“Guys, can you just not.” Devin shot at the two cousins and took another bite of his cheesy, greasy goodness called pizza.

“So what are we going to do afterschool?” Albert asked once he got tired of poking Sara who was now straightening out her school uniform.

“Think we should just chill at my house.” Devin answered

“Please, can we not play videogames the whole time?” Tara pleaded.

“Tara,” Matt began like he was talking to a child, “ video games are not a hobby they are a way of life.” Tara scoffed.

“Nah we can hang by the pool.” Devin suggested to keep the peace between the two relatives.

“But don’t we need swimsuits?” I voiced up.

Matt being the pervert he is, “Nah I’m good with you going in your birthday suit.”

“Matt…” Devin growled. I was thoroughly confused why Devin got so uptight about that, however the smack upside the head from Tara, completely typical.

“I have some of yours left at my house from our summer hangs. We can stop on the way to Devin’s so you don’t have to drive to your house that’s on the other side of town.” That’s the difference between me and the rest of the group. I lived in the middle class developments unlike the rest that dwelled in the gated communities on the northeast of town.

“Oh cool.” I dropped out of the conversation and just finished off my fruit bowl my mom packed for me.

******************************************************************************************************


“Aaah!”

“Maddie, calm down it’s just me.” Devin explained why he grabbed my wrist. “I’ve been trying to get you attention since you got up from the table.”

“Oh.” I blushed and look down at my earphones.

“But I see you were lost in your music.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s fine. Guess you forgot we have health together.”

“We do?” Devin looked at me puzzled.

“Yeah…I…uhm…we were just talking about it during lunch.”

“Oh my gosh! I totally spaced. I kind of was going into autopilot.”

“Really? You do know it’s the first day of the school year. Not much thinking done. It’s all those introducing yourself to a class that have been around for the past three years and syllabus.” He smirked. “You do know that?”

“Yeah…I just have a lot on my mind, I guess.”

“Like what?”

Hmm? Seriously how about like you suddenly talking to me out of nowhere, or what about that incident a few minutes ago at lunch, which come to think of it, the guys usually eat near the fountain with the rich snobs. Why were they sitting with us today? Is that going to become a regular thing? Why are you talking to me? Why did you even stop talking to me? Does he know that I like him? Oh my! He knows I like him. He probably thinks I’m some kind of stalker. I am totally not a stalker; seriously they have no dignity to hide in bushes. And that’s plain pitiful, I mean drunk people piss in bushes. Who wants to bask in that scent?

“Maddie…” Broken from my trance I furrow my brows as he answers my unspoken question, “What’s on your mind?”

“Just some stuff. Nothing important.”

“You sure because you zoned out for a bit, I felt like I was talking to my reflection.”

“Sorry my constant spacing out must be annoying.”

“Nah, it’s adorable.” Oh jesus my cheeks are on fire! I bite my lip and use my hair as a shield. “You really shouldn’t do that.”

“Do what?”

He smiles and tucks my hair behind my ear and then holds my chin, my eyes find his and suddenly his beautiful emerald eyes draw me in. He abruptly removes his hand and just like that he turns to face towards our health class. “We should probably get to class.” He says just barely above a whisper and walks into the class.

I become planted to the floor and my mind is going nuts and my vision becomes blurred, and all I can think of is how his rough fingertips felt amazing against my skin. The bell rings bringing me out of my trance.

“Ms. Grant,” I turn to look at Mrs. Cho, “Do you have somewhere to be?”

“I…ugh…” I race towards the door and mutter a sorry to Mrs. Cho and take a seat at the front of the class since all the back seats are taken, just my luck. I’m miles away from Devin which means I can’t even ask him what happened outside the classroom. Great, hanging out is going to be so awkward.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uhm so yeah...I don't know what to think. I've had this typed out for a while I just don't like the way it's been coming out. Hopefully someone can make sense of it.

Comments and feedback would be much appreciated.