What a Way to Pay

My Story

What A Way To Pay

“I’ll meet you at the park at 8:00 right?” Karla asked.
“Yep, that’s right,” I replied.
“Okay, I’ll see you later.”
“Bye,” I told her. I hung up my phone, and went to turn on my computer. I went right to “borders.com.” I need to know how much a certain book cost. “Awesome, that’s perfect!” I grabbed my book bag, threw in my ipod, cell phone, and wallet, and headed into the kitchen.
“Hey mom,” I said.
“Hi sweetheart. Where are you going?”
“I’m going with Karla to Borders. Is that okay with you?” I asked.
“Yeah that’s fine. Just keep in touch,” my mother reminded me. I grabbed my sweater from the closet and went out the door. Once I turned the corner at the end of the block, I took out my ipod and put my earphones on. I chose the song Colors Of The Rainbow by Italobrothers.. Once I reached the park I walked over to my favorite tree. I sat down and rested my head against it. She Wolf by Shakira was playing. I started to doze off, when I heard someone call my name. It was Karla.
“You were sleeping?” Karla asked.
“Yeah, guess I was.”
“It’s 7:50, you want to start walking to Borders?” she questioned.

When we arrived, Karla went to the “comedy” book section and I went to the “romance” area. I found a computer and typed in T-i-m-e- T-o- L-e-t- G-o. “Found you!” I said. I went over to the shelf and selected the book. I thought I’d also look for a book from the House Of Night series. I found one titled Marked. I read the back cover and knew I had to have it. Before I left the area something caught my eye. Marked was one of six books I could buy together for $24.99. Normally each book would cost about $7.00. It was a real deal, but there was a problem. I didn’t have enough money. I found Karla and asked her if she would lend me the money. Karla apologized, and informed me that she didn’t have enough money either.
“Did you find the book you really came for?” Karla asked.
“Yeah, I found it.”
“Did you find anything?” I asked.
“I did,” Karla replied.
“Okay, let’s pay for the books and head for home.” Once out of the store Karla said, “I had fun today, and thank you for asking me to go with you.”
“It’s okay,” I said. “We’ll do it again soon.”

I climbed the stairs to my room and plopped down on my bed. What a mess I thought. I really wanted to begin reading my book, but felt I should clean up my room a bit before dinner.
At the dinner table I told my mom what a nice time I had with Karla, and how much I enjoy the book store. Mom told me that when she was my age, going to the book store was one of her favorite things to do. Mom and I talked and talked about our favorite books. Finally, I told her that I was really tired and that I was going to bed.
“Good night,” she said. I got into my pajamas, brushed my teeth, and lay down. That’s when I remembered the six books I left behind.
“Wonder if I could get a job?” In less then a minute I was sound asleep.

On my way to the bus the next day, I met Karla.
“Karla, you know how much I enjoy reading right? What if I got a job to help pay for all the books I want to read?.”
“I don’t know, it sounds a little crazy.” Karla said.
That night I asked, “Mom can I get a job?”
“Why?” she asked. I told her that I wanted to earn my own money. My mom helped me out with money when she could, but it’s not the same.
“Where would you get a job? Who would hire you?”
“I bet I could get a job at Borders,” I answered. “Well, go ahead and apply. See what happens.” I was so excited I was getting a stomach ache.
The next day I dressed a little nicer than usual and stopped at Borders after school. I walked up to the counter and waited.
“How may I help you?” I was asked. He had pitch black short hair, and breathtaking amber eyes. His name tag read, “Emeron.”
“I was wondering if you are looking for any part-time workers,” I asked. “Haven’t I seen you in here before?” I told him that I come in just as often as I can.
“We need someone to help organize the new books that come in,” he said. “Would that be of interest to you?”
“Great. I’ll take it!”
“Whoa, slow down a minute.” Emeron said. “Fill out this application and I’ll show it to our manager.”
“Thanks,” I said. I walked over to the nearest table and filled out the application.. I finished and said, “Here you go,” as I handed it to him.
“Ok. Just a sec,” he said, and went into the back office.
After about 15 minutes he came out and came over to me.
“Congratulations, you got the job.”
“Awesome!” I said excitedly. “When do I start?”
“Right now, if you want. I’ll show you how things work around here,” he told me.
“Perfect!” I said, and followed him.

It wasn’t long before we were talking and getting to know each other better. Quitting time came quickly.
“You did an awesome job today!” Emeron said. I blushed. “We’ll see you tomorrow around 4:30 then?” Emeron questioned.
“I’ll be here.”
When I got home I told my mom everything that happened at Borders. She was very pleased. I dragged myself upstairs and into the shower. I didn’t know work could be this tiring. I got out of the shower and lay on my bed. All I thought about was getting my hands on those books soon with the money I will earn. Oh yeah, and there was Emeron.

A month went by. Emeron and I became close friends. I even started to like him. I didn’t tell anyone though, not my mother, and not even Karla. Karla had a hunch I liked him, but every time she brought up the subject I denied it. I had some bills to pay, so needed to wait a little longer to buy the House Of Night series. I was proud of myself because I stuck with something I wanted, and I didn’t quit. It felt good.
It was Saturday, but I still had to work. I left the house, and began walking to Borders. Let’s see, I think I’ll listen to Falling For You, by Colbie Caillat on this beautiful morning.

I reached the store and Emeron appeared to be waiting for me.
“Hey,” I said.
“Hey. Want to take a walk with me?” Emeron asked.
“What about work?” I questioned.
“It won’t take long,” Emeron replied. I eyed him with suspicion, but said yes anyway. We left Borders and went to the nearby woods where we found the walking path. We walked in silence until Emeron finally spoke.
“Can you promise me something?” Emeron asked.
“What is it?” I asked him. I was starting to get worried and felt a bit uncomfortable.
“Its nothing bad, it’s just that I want to make sure I can tell you this in confidence,” Emeron replied.
“You can trust me. I promise I wont tell a single soul what you are about to tell me,” hoping he would just tell me already.
“Okay, you promised.” He hesitated a minute and then blurted, “I’m an Immortal!” “You’re a what?” I asked,
“I’m an Immortal, not a vampire you understand, an Immortal. Immortals don’t drink people’s blood. We make Immortal juice and drink that,” Emeron informed me. “But…they don’t exist!” I said.
“That’s what a lot of people think, but they do.”
I couldn’t believe it! What was I supposed to say? What was I supposed to think? An Immortal? Immortals only exist in fairy tales.
“So what do you Immortals do?” I asked curiously.
“There are a lot of things we do,” Emeron said, and he began to explain.

After about a week, I felt I understood. He lived pretty much just like anyone else. I found the “manifesting” thing most interesting. You think of something in your mind. You think of all its characteristics, while you continue to imagine it in your mind. The next thing you know, what you were thinking of appears right in front of you. “Okay, now you try,” was something I heard often. I tried over, and over, and over again. Then one day I screamed, “I did it!” It was incredible. I was holding a rose that looked no different than the real thing. “Amazing! Congratulations!” Emeron said with excitement.
Then I thought about something that I still wanted real bad. It was the reason I got the job at Borders in the first place. I wanted to be able to get the House Of Night series.
I closed my eyes as tight as I could. I thought about all the magical words and details I knew about from the books. I thought all about each of the six books, one by one. I thought about the author, and the various themes. I thought about the book covers. I was concentrating so hard, until I heard Emeron’s voice.
“What is this?” I opened my eyes and was absolutely shocked!
“I did it! I did it!” I couldn’t believe my eyes. I grabbed the books from Emeron’s arms and held them tightly.
“Oh, its just a little something I have wanted for a while.” He just smiled. The rest of the evening we practiced. I often wonder why Emeron chose to tell me about his secret. I surely don’t mind, but why me? Is there more to this story than I understand? Am I also… an Immortal?