You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 16

I lay, emotionless in a bed under the soft covers of fine silk, when I felt someone was as the bedroom door. I didn’t move, but someone coughed, alerting me of their presence.

My back was facing the door and I didn’t bother moving to greet them, or even acknowledge them.

The person walked around the bed, sitting on a chair in front of me.

“Eviee?” The voice whispered softly. “Eviee, my name’s Jasper. Does that mean anything to you? Do you know who I am?”

The name did mean something to me, but I couldn’t figure out what.

“You don’t have to speak,” the voice continued. “Just nod your head.”

I didn’t move. I zoned the voice out again, going back to my quiet thoughts.

I was aware of this man Jasper leaving the room, but someone else entered.

“Eviee, I’m afraid I need to check you over. I need to make sure you aren’t hurt.” The voice told me soothingly.

I felt someone pick me up, and I could tell it wasn’t Jasper. He smelled like lilacs and vanilla with a blend of oranges.

He carried me into a different room, setting me on my feet. He started to undress me, and I began to struggle again.

Please, I thought. Not again.

Someone else was quickly at the doorway and I struggled more.

I saw a figure draw closer to me, his hands raised as in to hit me.

I cowered away from them both.

“Sshh, it’s okay. We don’t want to hurt you, we promise.” Someone said. “I just want to take your clothes off, so I can check you over, make sure you’re not hurt. I’m a doctor, don’t worry.”

I gradually calmed down, my mind went still again, my face betrayed no emotion.

I felt someone leave the room so it was just me and the doctor.

I felt him pull off my clothes, gasping when he saw the rest of my body.

His finger traced over the numerous scars I had.

“What happened to you?” he whispered.

I just ignored him.

A few minutes later he put my clothes back on. He then stood in front of me.

“I just want to check your eyesight.” He reassured. “I know you don’t want to talk, so just blink for me when you can see me clearly, okay?”

He took some steps back. I tried to pay attention to what he was doing. He seemed genuine enough, so I wanted to help.

He began to move closer to me.

When he was about 2 inches from me, I saw his features. He had white blonde hair, and golden eyes. He was handsome. I blinked, and he smiled, glad to have gotten a response from me.

He began to talk again, but I couldn’t concentrate on what he was saying.
He picked me up again, and I thought he would carry me to the room I was in earlier; instead he started to carry me downstairs. I felt 13 people were in the room, and I knew all eyes would be on me. I began to zone out again, but I felt myself be put down onto a sofa, away from everyone else.

“Eviee? Would you like some more blood?” It was the doctor, again. I blinked once.
He was soon back with a carton of blood, and I drank it quickly, savouring the taste.

I felt him sit down next to me, and started to speak again, but this time I didn’t pay attention.

I began to smell something odd, an odour like wet dog, but worse. In the normal circumstances I would have wrinkled my nose, but I wasn’t normal.