You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 20

I lightly traced the features on my father’s face. He was skin was warm to my touch, but his face immobile, afraid of making the slightest movement. He had many scars on his body, I could feel them. I gently traced the puckered lines, hardly touching him. He leaned in closer towards me, and I froze.

“It’s okay. I’m here,” he murmured.

I processed his words, and then slowly nodded. His face suddenly relaxed, almost thawed out, under my touch.

I glanced at my hand; it was covered in crescent shaped scars, similar to my fathers. I pulled back the sleeve of my clothes, and gasped.

Scars covered my skin, some curved, and others straight. I looked like a monster. I began tearing at my clothes, wanting to see the rest of my body, but I felt iron hands hold mine, restraining me.

“Sshh. It’s okay. You don’t need to see, you’re still beautiful.” The voice told me. I looked up to realise it was Jasper.

He looked at me meaningfully, and I felt myself begin to calm down.

He slowly released his grip on my arms, and I continued to stare at him. Quickly I wrapped my arms around him, resting my head on the crook of his shoulders. He smoothed my hair down, murmuring reassurances. I felt the energy levels of the room drop, and I knew we were alone.

I gently released my grip on him, before getting up and sitting down at the opposite end of the room. I began to zone out again, when I felt a hand lift my chin up.

“I love you. Never doubt that, Eviee.” Then he kissed the top of my head. “Still so beautiful,” he murmured.

After that he sat down next to me, taking my hand, almost like he needed reassuring that I was there. We sat in silence until the Dr. came in.

“Eviee? Eviee, my name is Carlisle. Edward told me you couldn’t remember.” He spoke softly.

I nodded.

“Good. Would you like anything?” I shook my head.

He continued to talk and I zoned out after that, I was beginning to feel weak. After my little
sleeping episode, I woke up feeling refreshed, but now I felt like I wouldn’t last much longer.

I began to drift off again, until I felt Jasper, frantic, shaking me awake.

But still, it didn’t stop me from falling off the cliff I was desperately hanging on to.

While I drifted, I dreamed. I found myself in a beautiful meadow. A cascading waterfall was nearby, and I danced, though there was no music. I danced for the sake of it—I was free. I turned around from a tap on my shoulder, to see it was Lee. Lee? Why is he in my dreams? Perhaps I wasn’t dreaming, maybe I had died, and this was some sort of afterlife for my kind. Nevertheless, I continued to dance. Just to be free.