You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 23

I woke the next morning to feel the suns heat on my skin. It was a rare occurrence in Forks and I wondered if I would still sparkle like a vampire.

“Morning,” a voice said and I froze, unsure of who it was. “It’s Nessie.” She told me, and I felt my immobile being unfreeze.

“I can’t see properly, come closer please.” I examined her face. She still had her father’s bronze hair and her mother’s eyes were gone and replaced with golden eyes.

“Blimey, you have changed.” I told her, cracking a smile.

She grinned. “Can I get you anything?”

“No thanks. Where is everyone?”

“Rose, Alice, Carlisle, Esme, Dad, Mum and Lee went hunting. They didn’t really want to go but they had to. Carlisle is also visiting the hospitals to buy some blood. He seems to think type AB Positive blood will be the best for you. That just leaves Emmett, Jasper, you and I to do something. Emmett is most likely thinking about sex with Rose, Jasper is reading on the civil war, so what do you wanna do?”

“Let’s just talk. I’m too comfy to move.”

She chuckled; another trait she had inherited off her father.

“Okay. What shall we talk about?”

“Tell me about your life. There is a lot I need to catch up on.” My mind quickly raced through the past 38 years, realizing I had missed out on a lot.

“Basically Jacob and I are in love. Have been all my life. It’s so hard to believe he once loved my mum. He is alpha of the pack. He has about 7 with him but I only ever seem to see Seth. Jacob and I got married about 20 years ago, and because he is a wolf he never ages. Dad flipped when he found out we had sex,” she chuckled from a previous memory. “But he knows we are happy—as happy as he and Mom—and he accepts it as much as he is willing.” She drifted off at the end, lost in her own thoughts.

“Can I ask you something?” she said softly.

“Sure.” I matched her tone.

“What was it like?”

"What was what like?" I asked, curious to her train of thought,

"Just like. Lee told me what had happened to you. It's kind of like a tragic story, you know? How did you deal with it all?"

“I didn't. Just accepted what I was going through. You may have noticed; I've only just started speaking and thinking again. That is how I dealt with the pain.”

“What do you miss? You know, because you can’t see.”

I thought over it for a while. Eventually I said, “I miss the simple things. The things people take for granted. You know, a beautiful sunset, a rainbow, stuff like that. Not seeing it makes you realise how fragile you and the world are. Its like the Earth is on scales, and the slightest thing will tip it. I guess I also miss looking at people from a distance. Right now I can see your figure but not you.”
She nodded in agreement. “You’re right.” Her voice broke. “I don’t want you to go, Eviee. I know you think we barely know each other but I remember you from when I was young. My brilliant Aunt Eviee, always smiles, always hugs, acting carefree and invincible. I wish she was back here. I miss her.”

“So do I.” I told myself softly.

We sat in comfortable silence for a while.

“Do you know how much longer you have left?”

“I’ve no idea, but I don’t think it’ll be long. I can feel the end drawing nearer and nearer. It’s inevitable, Nessie.”

“It shouldn’t be.” She said stubbornly.

“But it is. Ever since I was a newborn I would say to myself 'panton venio parumper causa'. Its Latin for everything happens for a reason.”

“And you believe that?” She spat, angry at what I had said.

“I have to. Otherwise I’ll just give up. It’s the only hope left for me, Nessie."

“As much as I want to believe it, Eviee, I can’t. Not everything happens for a reason. You were raped, tortured, hurt, over and over again! Do you know why that happened? Huh? No! It happened because someone up there must hate you. Why else would all that happen to you?!” And then she broke down, crying tearless sobs.