You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 24

After that Jasper came rushing inside, trying to calm Nessie down. I had left her to cry, sitting on the bed, unsure of what to do. It had been a long time since I had seen such a lapse in emotion, it became a stranger to me.

Jasper reassured her and took her into a separate room as I watched their blurred, retreating figures. Emmett had come running inside a few moments later, looking like Batman trying to save a life.

He glanced around the room, waiting for someone to ask for his help, and upon seeing I wasn't interested, sat down with me, not bothering to start a conversation, just letting us both think. This was probably the first time I had seen him so serious. The usually carefree, boisterous man sat quiet, thoughtful; and for once, not expressing his opinion.

After about an 10 minutes, he spoke.

“How are you holding up, Eviee?” he questioned, a solemn look on his face.

“I’m fine. I just need you to do one thing for me.” I told him.

"Anything. What do you need? Blood? Water? Love? Hugs? If it's a kidney, it's yours."

A puzzled look crossed my face. "Why would I need a kidney?"

"Never mind, what is it you want?"

"A smile. Frowns don't suit you," I told him, a grin on my face.

“Fine,” then he broke into a loud laugh; the Emmett I remembered was back.

"Oh, Emmett, I have missed you.” I got up and attempted to hug his large frame.

He hugged me tightly back, it was uncomfortable, but I didn’t mind; glad for the comfort. My face rested on the crook of his neck, as he slowly breathed the scent of my hair in. Eventually he released me. “Come, let’s go downstairs.”

He took my hand and went to pick me up.

I stepped away from him. “I can walk, Emmett.” I reminded him, and he gave an exasperated sigh.

He slowly walked down the stairs with my hand in his, almost guiding me but at the same time comforting me.

He pulled me down onto the sofa, sitting next to me. “Can I get you anything?”

“Yes! Can we watch The Dark Knight, please?” I begged.

He laughed. “God, I love that film.”

“Me too,” I piped up.

He put it on and came to sit next to me again, lightly wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

I leaned on him, we laughed together, and once again, I began to feel weak.

“Emmett, please can you get me some blood.”

“Of course,” he was up in no time, and soon returned, handing it to me.

He sat down next to me while I drank it. I felt his gaze on my face, but I didn’t return it. I soon finished drinking the blood and he took the cup from me.

“Are you well?” he asked; concern leaking into his voice.

“Yes thank you. I feel much better. Where are Jasper and Nessie?”

“After Nessie’s little episode, Jasper took her to her cottage which Jacob and her live in sometimes. I suppose they’re just talking.” I felt him shrug.

We lapsed into silence after that.

About halfway through the movie I began to shiver. It was a human trait I had picked up and would become unnecessary since I didn’t have any blood.

“Are you okay, Eviee?” Emmett rushed.

“I’m fine. Just cold,” He got up, draping a blanket over me, turning on the central heating and then sitting next to me, making sure he wasn’t touching me.

He touched his hand to my forehead.

“Jesus. You’re burning up!” I continued to shiver from the cold while he called Jasper, about halfway through the phone call I lay down on the sofa, clutching the blanket to me.