You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 25

I pressed my hand to Eviee’s head, my forever cold hand noticing how hot she was. She had a fever of some sort; yet she still shivered under my hand.

I quickly rang Jasper, telling him to get here as fast as he could. Whilst I was on the phone to him, I felt Eviee relax onto the sofa and I was sure my unbeating heart was in a frenzy. Her eyes were closed and I flung the phone at the wall, unsure of what to do.

She was no longer conscious. She still shivered, but she had a hot sweat on her head. I quickly got a damp cloth, pressing it to her forehead, praying for Jasper to get here soon.

Then I had a brainwave. Carlisle. I picked up the house phone, ringing him. It took him a while to pick up, but I knew before he left that he would always have his phone with him; just in case.

“Hello?”

“Carlisle, its Eviee. Something’s wrong. I gave her some blood, and after that she began to shiver, but she’s burning up. She’s not awake anymore. What should I do?” I panicked.

“First off, calm down. We’re coming home now. She shouldn’t be wrapped in blankets and try to remove any heavy clothing she might be wearing. After that get a damp cloth, make sure it’s warm and just dab it onto various parts of her skin. Also, make sure the room isn’t too hot or too cold. Where are Jasper and Nessie?”

“They went off somewhere, but I called him, he’s coming back now.”

“Okay, we’ll be there in about 2 hours.” Then I heard the dial tone.

I did what Carlisle told me to do and soon Jasper and Nessie arrived.

“What’s wrong with her!?” he screamed.

“I don’t know. She just started getting a fever!” I yelled back.

He ripped the cloth out of my hands, beginning to press it onto her body.

After what painfully seemed to be hours, Carlisle rushed in through the door.

“Can everyone leave me? Jasper can stay, that is all.” He said with such authority know one dared to argue with.

We all went outside, Rose clinging to my arm. No one spoke. We all just stood, glancing at the sky, the trees; which all reminded us of Eviee.

“I was speaking to her earlier today.” Nessie started. “I asked her what she missed looking at. Guess what she said. She said she misses looking at rainbows, and sunsets; basically, everything we ever took for granted. And I realised through her whole life, the only time she would ever have seen them anyway was when she lived with us for those few months. 200 years old and she has only really seen them for not even half a year. She doesn’t think she has much longer left, not even a year. We need to make it a good year. We owe her that much.” People around me murmured in agreement.