You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 31

Esme didn’t tell me where the rest was going; she simply said they had to take care of some unfinished business.

I held the unopened envelope in my hands. I brought it closer to my face, and saw written on the seal, in Lee’s personal calligraphy, Open this at the end.

Trust Lee to do a riddle. The end of what? He said I would know when it was the right time--that he loved me. I was a fool; I didn’t tell him I loved him back. What would he think of me?

Esme was drawing, quietly humming to herself. I stood up and walked into Carlisle’s study, drawing a random book I knew Carlisle didn’t particularly enjoy.

I returned downstairs, sitting in a love seat. Esme had but a bottle of blood on the table, which I took.

“Thank you, Esmé.”

“No problem.”

I opened the book onto the first blank page.

Carlisle, I wrote, I’m currently writing this whilst you and the rest of the family, other than Esme, are out. I don’t know where any of you have gone, and I don’t mind this. Everyone deserves their secrets. I feel a bit guilty because I didn’t tell Lee I love him. But oh well, I’ll tell him when he returns home. I hope you will read this after I’m gone, my way of saying thank you for everything. Just earlier I was thinking, and I thought up this poem. I don’t know what the hidden meaning is behind it, you’re clever; maybe you can figure it out.

I meet your eyes
You don’t even see me
You hardly respond
When I whisper
Hello
Could be my soul mate
Two kindred spirits
Maybe we’re not
I guess we’ll never
Know

My own mother
You carried me in you
Now you see nothing
But what I wear
People ask you
How I am doing
You smile and nod
Don’t let it end
There

Put me
Underneath God’s sky and
Know me
Don’t just see me with your eyes
Take away
This mask of flesh and bone and
See me
For my soul

Alone

I closed the book, returning it to the exact spot in Carlisle’s bookshelf. He would find it eventually, even if it took a century.

I returned downstairs. Emse gave me a curious glance which I returned with a knowing smile. She bent her head back over her drawing, suddenly engrossed.

I asked for a piece of the stiff card she had, which she gave me without asking why.

I went upstairs to my room, taking out a pen and sitting at my desk. And I began to write a letter. A letter to all my family. It was most probably the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, I was crying broken sobs, but it needed to be done. At the end I sealed it with a kiss, writing on the front; my family.

I sat for a while, gaining composure. After a bit, I was calm enough, so I returned downstairs, my letter in my hand.

“Esme?”

“Yes, darling?”

“I want you to have this.” I handed her the letter. “It’s for after I’m gone, it’s for all of you, and I would like you to read it to them all. You’re the right person.”

She looked up from the envelope to my face. She gave me a sad smile which came out more of a grimace, and nodded her head. “Of course, Eviee. I would be delighted.” She got up, wrapping me in her motherly hug.