You Jump, I Jump. Right?

Chapter 38

I woke up, my body aching. I felt a hand in mine and the person squeezed it. Jasper. I tried to move, but I couldn’t.

“Eviee, it’s best if you don’t move. You have a broken leg.” He told me.

“What? How?” My voice raising a few octaves.

“I don’t know; you just started coughing up blood, then you collapsed breaking your leg. For a moment I thought I had lost you.” His voice broke towards the end.

I thought back. “It was that man. Jensen, was it? He smelled so good...”

“Don’t worry about it. Now then, I have some bad news. Carlisle thinks it would be best for you to stay in here for a couple of days, just recuperate and let your leg mend itself.”

“Okay,”

“Can I get you anything?” Jasper asked.

“Can I have some blood please, and I would like to speak to Carlisle alone, please.”

“Of course.”

I felt him leave the room. The Carlisle soon entered; carrying some blood.

“How do you feel, Eviee?”

I ignored the question all together. “How much longer do I have left?” I asked bluntly.

“I’m not sure, but I estimate around 2 weeks.”

I nodded my head; already knowing it would be soon, having confirmed it. “How will it end for me?”

“I honestly have no idea, Eviee. Even if it was to be painful, I have no way of easing it.”
I nodded again. “I don’t know whether now is a good time, but Aro sent us a letter.”

I tensed up at the name. “What did it say?” I asked through strained lips.

“He plans to come and visit us in 4 days. It is doubtful he will listen to our pleas that we don’t want him to come. I’m sorry.”

“I suppose I shall endure it, like I endured him those 38 years.”

“You’re a fighter, Eviee. You shall be okay.”

“Thank you, Carlisle—for telling me.”

“No problem, Eviee. Now then, I am aware that Nessie has a little gift for you.”

“Like what?” I asked sceptically, remembering the times when she brought me home a puppy, thinking it would cheer me up.

“You shall see,” he answered mischievously.

Nessie bounded into the room after that.

“Hey, Eviee. Nice to see you up and about; kind of.” She said cheerfully.

“What’s this surprise you have planned?” I asked nervously.

“Hold on a second. Carlisle, can you help me move the bed downstairs, outside.”

I grew nervous. “Of course, Nessie.” He replied.

I felt them pick up the bed, effortlessly carrying it downstairs.

Finally, I felt the gentle summers breeze blow on my face. I picked up the scents of my family who were outside with me; all with the exception of Lee.

I felt Eviee press her hand to my cheek. Images of my family passed through my head, they were all stood outside, gazing lovingly at me.

“This is your surprise,” Nessie murmured. “We want to show you how much we love you.”

“I know you all love me. I take it for granted.” I whispered.

After that, Nessie showed me a picture of the setting sun. The best image in the world, and we were lucky. Living in Forks, we didn’t normally get any sun.

“Happy birthday, Eviee.” Jasper spoke.

“My birthday?” I was shocked.

“Yes babe, your birthday.” He answered.