‹ Prequel: Dark Eyed Dreamers

Back to the Place We Knew Before

Mikayla

I was almost Christmas and I was so happy to have everyone home. After being with my family all night it was good to have a break from them. Instead of meeting a Reagan and Braelyn’s house like we normally did. We decided to go to Rian’s house for a change.

His basement was full of quiet conversation because Braelyn and Jack would kill anyone who interrupted Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. Seriously, kill them. Whenever I laughed too loudly they would both make a loud “Shh!” sound without ungluing their eyes from the television.

“Rae!” Jack said suddenly, spinning in her direction.

“Yeah?” Reagan asked, then taking a sip of her soda.

“Do you want to go for a walk?”

“It’s snowing.” Reagan said blankly.

“Yeah, I know. So…”

“Um, sure?” Reagan responded unsurely but followed Jack upstairs.

Everyone watched in an awkward silence as they left. Everyone knew what was going on. They were finally going to talk, like talk talk.

“So, they’re going to go do it.” Alex laughed taking Jack’s absence as his chance to stretch out across the couch.

Braelyn laughed and cuddled more closely into Finn’s chest. Zack’s eye kept shifting from the TV screen to Braelyn. I could tell she noticed this but instead of acknowledging him she just paid more attention to Finn.

As much as I loved seeing them unhappy, I loved seeing them pretend they were happy much more. Braelyn would put on this half real, half fake smile whenever she was with Finn. Zack would manage to keep the grimace off his face just long enough for Braelyn to turn her head.

“What are you staring at me for?” Zack asked.

“Because I haven’t seen you in a while.” I lied, I saw him two days ago. I just didn’t want get involved in his life right now because I’m sure all I’d hear was Braelyn this, Braelyn that. I didn’t want it to be about anyone but me right now.

Sure it was Christmas in a few days but more importantly it was my due date in a few more days. Then this would be over, I wouldn’t just be able to come hang out with everyone without having to take the baby with. It was going to suck. My life is going to suck.

Sure, I love my child and I’ll take care of it and raise it the best I can but what about me?

Who is going to take care of me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Really short. Really suckish.
I don't care, I hate Mikayla.