Status: Active

Raven

Chapter Eleven

My breathing seemed loud in my own ears though there was still a faint buzz as an aftershock from the explosion ringing around my head. I brushed my hand against my stinging cheek, smearing the blood from the gash caused by the stones.

It seemed like an age before the familiar and reassuring sound of the van pulled up outside the building and I grabbed The Joker under his arms, heaving his unconscious body towards the vehicle. Andy jumped from the driving seat; grabbing his boss’s legs and helping me push him into the back. I staggered in afterwards, stumbling slightly, still dizzy. Andy’s hand shot out towards me, cradling the crook of my elbow and pushed me gently into the back. I froze and shied away from the gentle touch and unconsciously hissed between my teeth. I glanced at the boy and eyes widened and without a comment he moved away and got into the front of the van.

I sat down grimly and gingerly, my eyes flickering towards the back of Andy’s head. I knew there was a reason why I had liked him. He did what he was told and asked no questions. Once again, I hoped I would never have to kill him.

I heaved The Joker up and pushed him so he was leaning against the side of the now moving van. I patted his face, poking his skin and feeling the fleshy toughness of his jagged scar.

Suddenly, his eyes shot open and lightning quick his hand grabbed the finger touching him, and he bent it back. I heard the bone in my finger give way with an audible snap and I gasped with anger. I pulled my hand away and into my chest, and with my other, I made a fist and smacked him hard across the face.

He fell sideways, hitting the ground with a thump and with a struggle, he pushed himself up again. I had never seen him so unfocused and out of sync with himself and I paused in my silent screaming against the pain racking my body. I stared at him, and then sighed,

“You’re a mess CB.”

He replied with a grin, and an almost apologetic glance at my swollen finger before closing his eyes and giving way to darkness yet again.

~

We reached the safe house quickly and Andy helped me with The Joker yet again. And yet again, he made no comment on what had transpired in the van between myself and The Joker. I sighed, fighting sudden exhaustion as we stumbled into the house. It was the same one as the last time, nothing had changed...except the fact that there was no-body else home. All his goons had disappeared.

“Where is everyone?” I asked Andy, shooting a glance at him from under the Joker’s arm which I had wrapped around my shoulder.

Andy looked at me, straight in the eye and without fear, replied, “He killed them all. Said they were useless...I was the only one he kept.”

I grinned sadistically and I could see Andy try to restrain a shudder. “You must be doing a good job then kiddo.”

The Joker roused from his state and with a start he flung himself off and away from the two of us.
He stared at me, stumbling away, “don’t need no help,” he muttered gruffly and staggered through the hallway and into his room.

“Suit yourself,” I muttered and with another sigh, I flung myself onto the couch and stretched groaning with the joy that only a stretched and relaxed body can bring.

A bag of ice appeared on the table in front of me and I looked at Andy. “For your...for your finger,” he said quietly and without another look at me, he walked away and disappeared into another room.

I curled my lip at the two rooms. God, these men were fun!

I unhooked the bags from around my waist and with a snicker of glee; I emptied out onto the table. The diamonds from the store glimmered wildly in the light, sparkling this way and that..I watched the prisms of light for a moment, and then scooped them all back into the bags. It would be stupid to have them lying around. It was better to keep it all close.

I walked my way up the hall and with only a slight hesitation; I opened the door and strode into his room. The Joker was lying on his bed, his hand flung over his face. He opened a crack in his fingers so I could see the glimmer of his eyes as he watched me walk across the room.

I grabbed the first aid kit from where it had apparently been left the last time it was used. This would have been on me, a couple of weeks ago after my incident with the river. I placed it on the bed, and swung the kit open, and took out several bundles of cotton wool.

I looked up to catch him staring at me, his hand moved away from his face. His painted on face was smudged so I could see the real pale skin underneath. The corner of his lips were bare, a pale pink and I frowned as my stomach made a strange movement. I dropped the cotton wool, and broke the intense gaze.

“I’m not your mother.”

It appeared those words were not the ones to use as he visibly flinched and then his fists did the same clenching motion mine did when I was warding off a psychotic breakdown. I pretended not to notice, making my way to the chest of drawers and taking out a shirt belonging to him.

“What are you doing?” he asked me.

I rolled my eyes, “I’m hardly leaving when number one, I can’t walk home from here and number two, you most likely have a concussion. I’m not leaving you here with Andy”

I began to change, not really caring as I stripped in front of The Joker. I knew he wasn’t looking and when I suspected I could feel the burning heat of his eyes on me, I turned. But he was busy wiping away the last of the blood from his face. He moved when I eventually got changed and glanced at me as he walked to the bathroom. His shirt reached my knees, and my hair was down, slightly wavy now after the night’s activities. I had taken the black lenses out so my real green eyes could be seen. He had seen me as simple Sparrow before but this suddenly felt like more and I turned, sitting in the armchair. He had slept here the last night, when I had been injured.

I taped my broken finger as The Joker got himself bedtime ready in the bathroom and when he walked back out, I almost flinched. He was bare; his face was rid of the makeup. Even his hair had lost the greasy green tinge. It was a soft brown, almost blonde in colour. Again, I had seen him bare of make up before...but this felt different.

He slid into the bed, and I tucked my feet underneath me, securing myself in the chair for the night. I closed my eyes for a moment when his voice broke my thoughts.

“Birdie, come lie in the bed. I won’t hurt you.”

He was smiling as he said it, in a way that I knew hurt his damaged head. I shifted in the seat and then with a purpose, strode to the bed and slid under the covers beside him, ensuring I didn’t brush against him in any way. I wasn’t scared of anyone.

The cold nozzle of gun opened my eyes wide and I turned so it pressed hard into my stomach. I stared into his brown eyes, almost daring him to shoot me here, in his own bed. But instead, he reached over and brushed a strand of hair back from my eyes.

I froze as usual, at the contact but then I relaxed, allowing the brief moment of human contact to exist between Gotham’s psychopaths.
♠ ♠ ♠
A different side of Raven there and a little moment as well.
Are things beginning to change between the pair?

hands up who would like a kiss?
Comment please :) x