Finch.

18.

“Nick, I need to talk to you.”
It’s just past midnight, and Norah is sitting in the kitchen with a glass of white wine in her left hand.
Everyone else is asleep.
I am outside smoking, once again, sleep evading me. I nod.
“Sure. What is it?”
“I want you to tell me.”
“Tell you what?” I whisper.
“I want you to tell me what happened senior year.”
What a scary story. And she never wanted to listen before.
“Why now? Norah, you never wanted to hear before. Or never cared, maybe. So, why?”
“Nicholas, In a month I’m marrying a man that you claim… You know. Just tell me.”
“Well, it starts with Benny Greene. Benjamin,” I say, nodding slowly. Already, my mouth feels dry. I really hate thinking about Benny. I hate thinking about senior year.
“Alright,” Norah responds, sipping her wine. I’m glad she’ll be drunk by the end of the night.
“Well, it was a good month or two before Benny snuffed it.”
“How did he do that? I can‘t remember.”
“Slit his wrists in the tub. And I was the one to find him. I was the whole reason for it. I still have the note.”
“I’m so sorry, Nikki,” Norah says. I shrug.
“Well, I still remember talking with Benny the night Eleanor was raped. Benny, I had been waiting up for him. I knew he had to work the night shift at the diner. And so I told him I’d be waiting for him. Now, earlier that day, was the first day he told me he loved me. And, I didn’t know what to say. I know I didn’t say it back. We got into some kind of argument, but we kissed and made up and I still promised to wait up for him. The plans ended up really changing, huh?” I ask, malice in my mouth. Norah just nods, sympathy showering from her eyes.
“Now, after he left, I sat up all night, until of course. Until of course Ellie came limping up the stairs. And, it was so quiet. And you know what she says to me?” I ask. I think I might be crying, I’m not really sure.
“What did she say?” Norah asks, in the smallest voice.
“She told me she couldn’t feel. And then she just kind of collapsed onto me. She was so tired. And so dead inside. She still is, I don’t know how to fix her. And William, he always gets so angry with me, for hanging onto the past. He says I’m going to end up like Benjamin, just wanting what isn’t returned. Then again, so is he.”
“Neither of you are going to end up like Benjamin.”
Again, I shrug.
“William is right. However, I asked her who did it. Who hurt her so badly. And she said, she said Mattie. Over and over and over again. Little sister, I’m sorry.”
I’m sure I’m crying now.
“But, what does this have to do Benny?” Norah asks, tears in her eyes as well.
“Norah, Benny Greene saved Eleanor’s life.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm suprised no one figured out who Matthew Fletcher was, just sayin'. :0
Anyway, the next chapter, pretty much everything will be revealed.
Yeah buddy.