Finch.

19.

Norah is just staring at me. I think she might not believe me, or maybe she has always been unbelieving.
“What do you mean?” she asks, just barely moving her lips.
“Benny got on the bus at one fifteen a.m.”
“No, Nick, tell me the whole thing.”
“At eleven o’clock p.m. Eleanor got on the public transportation Greyhound bus. Matthew Fletcher was also on that bus. And because they knew each other from school, Eleanor began to talk to Matthew.”
Norah looks terrified. I am afraid to keep going.
“No, please just say it.”
“Alright. They talked for a bit. I think Matthew paid Ellie some compliments. She thought nothing of it. However, when she got off the bus, Matthew followed her off.”
“Oh.”
“I don’t know where exactly it happened. I don’t know exactly what was said. I only know the little that Eleanor has been able to say about it. And from what Benny said after he found her.”
“Found her?”
“Yes, after Matthew…did what he did. Benny found her. On the bus.”
“She got back on the bus?” Norah asks, with such feeling it seems like perhaps her soul is cracked.
“Apparently she did. Benny found her. He said he asked her what happened but she just kept sitting there breathing very slowly, the very back of the bus. The last seat. She had a busted lip, and blood on her legs, and a bruise on her chest. And she just wouldn’t talk.” I can barely go on with the story anymore. It hurts so much.
“What else?” Norah says.
I swallow hard, trying to gather my feelings. This truly is the worst of all subjects to talk about, but Norah does deserve to know. She does need to know. I gather the rest of my strength and pity and begin to speak again.
“Benny lifted her up, took her in his arms, and he got her off the bus, as fast as he could. He thought she was going to die. However, he was also very afraid. He can’t handle pressure, he can’t handle regret. He never could handle pain of any sort.”
“Did Benny take her to the hospital or something?” Norah asks desperately. I shake my head.
“No he didn’t. He didn’t know what exactly to do. So he did the only thing he could think of. He took her to my house. And then he left. He didn’t come back, even though I was waiting up for him. He couldn’t I don’t think.”
“But, I thought he only knew what you told him about that night. You always told me he didn’t understand about Ellie.”
“Because at the time, I didn’t know he knew. I only know all this because of his suicide note. He told me in his suicide note.”
“Oh God,” Norah’s voice trails off. She begins to sob heavily. I take her in my arms, trying to protect her, though I know I can’t. It seems I can never truly protect those who I love.
“It isn’t fair!” Norah suddenly shouts, breaking free from my grasp.
“What are you talking about?” I ask.
“It isn’t fair that the man I love is supposed to be this kind of evil! It isn’t fair! I love him, and that’s supposed to be wrong?!”
I’ve never seen her so clearly exposing her emotions like this. She is almost scaring me, but I don’t think I know fear anymore.
“You’re allowed to love him. People change,” I lie. I don’t believe that at all. Not one bit. “I can see that he loves you, Norah,” I continue, sounding like William. “Matthew loves you, and if he is capable if that kind of love, he is a new man. Loving him is not a sin. It’s only a miracle.”
Norah stops yelling, quiets down, and wraps her arms around me.
“I love you little brother,” she says. I hug her back.
“I love you too.”