Finch.

8.

I am watching Ellie, in a diner, as she watches smoke ringlets form from my lips.
“Why do you do that?” she asks me. The other three men, William, Louis, and Jacob are all eating contently. William is the only one who knows the problems I face. Norah’s plans being the problem.
“Do what?” I reply, flicking some ash into the tray.
“Kill yourself like that,” she whispers. No one looks up.
“I don’t care Birdie, that’s why.”
She shrugs, sips her tea, and moves eggs around with a fork.
My phone is ringing. I pull out the phone and slip out of the booth. Again, no one looks my way.
“My darling little brother!” Norah shrieks in my ear. It hurts a bit.
“Hello Norah, how are you?”
“I feel amazing. Matt’s here. We’re looking at cakes!” She exclaims.
I nod, then realize she can’t see me.
“That’s lovely Norah. How are the final preparations coming along?”
“Splendid. I have your suit picked out you know. Best man! Isn’t it so nice of Matt to make you his best man?”
“Tell him I appreciate it.”
“Well, you’ll be here won’t you?”
“Of course, tour ends in a few weeks,” I say, taking another drag.
“Good, good. I need you here. You’re my brother, Nick! You need to help me plan everything.”
“Norah, I think we both know I’m no good with plans like that.”
It’s so hot today, in San Francisco, I can hardly stand it. The beads of sweat are dripping down, and I am just wanting to finish my water in the diner.
“That doesn’t matter, Nick. What matters is that you’re here. I miss you.”
“I miss you too. Norah, do you remember what I told you?”
“Yes, I do, but could we talk about this some other time. Maybe when you’re here?”
“I don’t want to talk about it some other time.”

I am holding Birdie as she sobs and shakes. Her body convulses and I begin to cry as well. I don’t know what to do either, so all I do is hold her steady and fast.

“Well it’ll have to wait Nick. I’ll call you again tomorrow.”
“Alright. Norah?”
“Yes?”
“I love you.”
“I love you too baby brother.”
The line is dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
The ending's all figured out, as I've said. I'm so excited. Oh gracious.
One of my friends, she told me that Nick reminded her of Bert McCracken.
I was like ...ha, didn't plan that. x)