An Open Book

Change,

Change.

It's the one thing in life that is completely inevetiable.

The clouds move, the sky darkens, people die, people are born. Every bit of this you can't change. It's jus the way the world goes around, and the way it's going to continue to move for another century.

People change and promises are broken. But I didn't expect it to be your promise that broke.

You looked at me and said, "I promise, we'll be best friends forever!"

I looked at you and smiled, "Damn straight!" I replied.

That was years ago. And until this week we kept to that promise.

Now, we're drifting apart.

It's all because of her you know.

If she hadn't weaseled her way into our lives, you'd still be my best friend and not hers. You'd still be telling me your darkest secrets, and I'd be helping you cope. It should be me and not her.

I know you better than I know myself.

I, know that you want to open your own record label when you get older. I, know that your two favorite colors are red and black. I, know the hard times you went through a few summers back. I, know how hard it is for you to trust people. And I, was always there when you needed me. Always.

She, knows nothing about your future. She, doesn't know what your favorite colors are. She, doesn't know anything about the hardships you went through. She, doesn't know how hard it is for you to trust people. And she, is here now. But she wasn't there when I was.

It didn't phase me at first. I was oblivious to the fact that she was getting closer to you and that I was moving farther. You still acted the same around me, everything was perfect.

Then this week came, and I started noticing things that I didn't notice before.

How everything you did, she was there. How everything you talked about, she was in it. How everytime you smiled, she was the reason behind it.

And I hated you for it. I hated how you could cut off all the ties of someone you've known so long, and form new ones to someone you've only met this year.

I hated her. I hated her for stealing my best friend from me. I hated her and you for making me seem like the evil villian.

I hated you both for all the longing that I had for my best friend to come back.

We're still friends, but never as close as before. Whenever we're together, just me and you, things seem almost normal. Then she comes back, and it's just another awkward tension.

I hate her.

I want her gone, forever. I don't want her here, but I deal with it because I know you want her here. But you've changed.

You talk about me behind my back, you don't think I know it but I do. You won't leave her side, even when I ask. You'll hang out with her and my ex-boyfriend, to whom she's dating now, even though you hated him when I went out with him.

I can't even explain how much I hate her! I want her gone off the face of this planet! I don't want her here anymore! I wish we were back in the times when everyone hated her, and she knew it so she stayed away!

But sadly that won't happen. She's forever going to be here.

So I give up. I'm not trying anymore. You want to hang out with me, then fine. But I refuse to be your fall back when she leaves you for someone else. I refuse to look at you and tell you she'll come back, because I know she won't.

I'm not going to try to be your best friend anymore. She has that position filled now. Because I was cast away.