Status: Short Story for contest!

Blow Your Candles Out

Happy Birthday!

Joanette looked at her clock again. It was almost 8:00 p.m. on her 22nd birthday and her boyfriend, Russel, still hadn’t called her. It was officially starting to piss her off. She had been with Russel since high school when she was a freshman and he was a junior. But age didn’t matter. They had been through everything together. She gave him her virginity she even stayed when she found out he was cheating on her. Why wouldn’t she? She loved him.
“Answer your damn phone..” she muttered picking at her chipped black nail polish.
“Hey this is Russell. I can’t get to the phone right now-“
“Son of a bitch!” She threw the phone across the room. It hit the wall and broke into a million pieces. Tears started to form in her eyes and she began paranoid.
What if he doesn’t come home? What if he’s with another girl?
She heard the keys turning in the door and jumped up to meet him.
“Hey babe,” Russell walked into the house unknowingly.
“I hate you! You sneaky snake. You can’t even call me on my fucking birthday?!” Joanette punched him with all her might in the chest.
“Babe calm down, “Russell tried to hide the small smile playing on his lips, “Let’s sit down.”
“No,” Joanette said although she was already making her way to the couch, “ Why didn’t you call?”
“I’m sorry I was busy-“
“To busy to call me?” Joanette’s eyes filled with tears.
“No,” Russell pulled out a small box from out of his jacket, “ It’s the complete opposite. Joanette, I love you and I never want to lose you. Will you-“
“Yes! A thousand times yes,” Joanette threw her arms around Russell not letting him finish the question.
“Happy Birthday.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's hoping I win!