If Nothing Lasts Forever, Will You Be My Nothing?

01

“Did the cake arrive, mom?” The bride, Cara, asked her mother as she treaded the small white room in her parent’s house.

“Yes, honey. I had your father put it on the table in the dining room.” Her weepy-eyed mother said. “I can’t believe my daughter is getting married.” The mother exclaimed.

Cara was too busy walking back and forth at a rapid speed to hear her mother’s words. She was overwhelmed with the fact that in less than an hour she would be a married woman.

“Do you have my bouquet?” The bride asked. She couldn’t help but worry that something was missing. This was her wedding day and she wanted everything to go as efficiently as possible.

“Of course dear.” Her mother said, as she handed her the stunning arrangement of red and white roses.

“Where is Christine?” The bride asked referring to her sister and maid of honor.

“Right here, you look beautiful little sister.”Christine exclaimed with a smile as she flitted into the room, wearing her beautiful red dress.

“Thanks.” Cara responded with a half-hearted smile.

In her head, she was going over the list of things that she wanted to be absolutely perfect.

Flowers? Check.

Music? Check.

Cake? Check.

Groom? Oh, my god!

“Is Landon here?” Cara fretted.

“Yes, I just saw him talking to his dad.” Christine said.

“What if he changes his mind and decides he doesn’t want to marry me? What if I am making the biggest mistake of my life?” Cara asked, worriedly.

“Do you love him?” Her mother asked.

“Of course I do. He means everything to me.” Cara said with a dreamy expression.

“Then this is not a mistake and why on earth wouldn’t he want to marry you? You are smart, talented, and beautiful. He would have to be a fool not to marry you.” Her mother reassured her.

“Thank you mom.” Cara said with a sincere smile.

Cara continued thinking about how happy she was when a knock on the door broke her out of her thoughts.

“Can I come in?” Her father said as he peeked his head in.

“Yes, daddy.” Cara said.

“Give us a minute, the music is about to start and I want to have a few words with Cara.” Her father said to his wife and other daughter.

Her mother kissed Cara’s cheek and left followed by Christine.

“I’m so happy for you, princess. I remember when you were four years old and little Bobby from down the street pushed you down. You came crying to me and told me that you hated boys. I kept uselessly wishing you would always hate boys, but I knew that one day I would walk you down the aisle. Now that that day is here, I couldn’t be sadder, but I truly am happy for you. If you ever need anything honey, I’ll always be here for you.” Her father said as he wiped his tears away.

“I love you daddy.” Cara said as tears ran down her own face.

“You look beautiful, don’t cry. Your mom will kill me if I am the reason you mess up your makeup.” He joked.

“Thanks daddy. Do you think I could have a moment by myself?” Cara asked with a smile.

“Of course. I will be right outside.” He said, as he kissed her forehead and quietly left the room.

Cara stood in front of a full-length mirror and took in her appearance. Her long brown hair was curled into loose ringlets with the top half pulled back by an elegant sliver clip. She had a beautiful silver and red tiara atop her head with her red and white veil behind it. Her dress was a strapless pristine white with red designs going down to her small hips. Her small pale hands touched the stunning sliver necklace. Slowly she ran her hands down her dress
to smooth out the ball gown and took a deep shaky breath.

She could hear the music start up and she grabbed her bouquet and met her dad outside.
“Ready?” He asked.

“Yes.” She said confidently.

Her father walked her out the door and down the aisle. She smiled widely when Landon came into view. Landon looked breathtaking in a black tuxedo with a red tie and matching vest. She couldn’t comprehend how she had gotten so lucky.

“Who gives this bride away?” The pastor asked.

“Her mother and I.” Her father said before kissing Cara on the cheek and walking to his own seat.

”We are gathered here today, on this happy and joyous occasion, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony.

Marriage is a solemn institution to be held in honor by all, it is the cornerstone of the family and of the community. It requires of those who undertake it a complete and unreserved giving of one's self. It is not to be entered into lightly, as marriage is a sincere and mutual commitment to love one another. This commitment symbolizes the intimate sharing of two lives and still enhances the individuality of each of you.

Landon, do you take this woman to be your wedded wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to her as long as you both shall live?” The pastor said.

“I do!” Landon said with a wide smile.

“Cara, do you take this man to be your wedded husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to him as long as you both shall live?” The pastor continued.

“I do.” Cara said with an equally large smile.

“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.” The pastor said.

Cheers were heard throughout the entire party as Landon and Cara kissed passionately. Their love for each flowed off them and filled the entire room. Landon took Cara’s hand in his own and they walked down the aisle for the first time as husband and wife.

“I love you.” Landon whispered to her as he took her hand in his own while they posed for pictures.

“I love you too.” She whispered back, squeezing his hand lightly. Their wedding was perfect. Neither one of them could have been happier.