His Wicked Valentine

In Love With the Darkness

The first words that she ever said to him were: Well played. That had been six months after they had first met. Six months of silence and a death glare, the treatment that she gave everyone. Even those words which might have been kind to anyone else had been bitter and grudgingly given. But he had kept her out of jail. It was one of the only reasons that she tolerated him. He was an angel after all and a lawyer. Two counts against him. Add that he was a living and functioning being that that would generally have taken away any credit that she might have otherwise given him. It was a fortunate fact for the angel lawyer though that she could manage to tolerate him. Nothing more though. Despite what other people seemed to be hinting at. Stupid whore Abigail especially. It didn’t matter that she tolerated the woman either. Abigail was one of the closest things that she had to a friend. If Eden were to have friends or to be overly protective of someone, it would probably be Abigail. She wasn’t though. That wasn’t her nature. She hated. It was what she did and had done best for over twelve years. Or rather over the last twelve years of her life that she cared to remember. The time before she was five years old meant little to nothing to her. It had been a past smeared with blood, darkness, screams, silence, and pain. There had been death too. The last one caused by herself, but no one knew that. Well unless you counted Aegean which she didn’t.

Aegean sat curled on the floor watching Eden as she mused around in her thoughts. He made it a point to avoid venturing into her thoughts. It tended to be dangerous up there. Eden had a tendency to fill her thoughts with darkness and hate. He was the small glimpse of hope and light that lived inside of her. He was the one bit of goodness that resided in her soul. It tended to be a very lonely existence for that fact. He was trying to get Eden to open up. Even to smile for some reason other than the fact that she might have a dark plan in mind for the person who was receiving her smile. There was usually no such luck. Every once in a while he thought he saw a spark inside, but it was usually drowned quickly by the sea of darkness. Eden rightfully earned her proud title of Queen Bitch. Though no one would have ever thought that someone like her would fall in love. She might not admit it, but he could see it. Abigail saw it. Even the recipient saw it. Only Eden refused to admit that anything was happening. A fact that made Aegean chuckle actually: Eden falling in love…and with an angel. The irony was potent and something that none of them was likely to ignore. Abyl stood for everything that Eden said she hated. He was an angel. He was someone with authority. He was living and breathing. He was her prefect match though. That was what Aegean approved of. He would be even more grateful to that man when he got Eden under control. Though the thought of someone controlling Eden was laughable when it came down to all of it.

“Aegean,” Eden’s voice was a soft purr. She knew that her shadow would be suspicious and well he should be. She was pissed at him slowly going insane. He was going to deserve her wrath. If only she could get into his mind and figure out what was up there. Unfortunately, he had just as hard a head as she did. There was no getting through and up there which means she had to use every other means possible. And she had ever intention of doing that. She wanted her damn journal back. “Tell me friend…where is it?”

Aegean shook his head wondering if there was anywhere to escape to. Not that Eden would kill him, but that didn’t change the fact that she might try and kick him again. Of course he could use his claws or try his human form, but they last time they had “wrestled” he had lost. He didn’t particularly want a repeat of that experience anytime soon. It had been rather painful. “I can’t tell you Eden; this is for your own good.” She wasn’t going to listen. She never did. When it came down to it, Eden tended to be a bit like a spoiled child. She wanted her way and if she didn’t have it then there would be hell to pay. If only she could be ignored as easily as a spoiled child. Then again, maybe he could be labeled as a wise coward for once in his short life. He didn’t mind that. He could handle it. “Alright, just don’t kick me or I’ll put nails marks in the leather.” The threat simply made her eyes narrow even more. “W-well I might have given it to Abyl.”

“I’ll find a way to kill you later,” she promised. He had no doubt that she would try. The unfortunate (or perhaps fortunate) fact was that he was a part of her soul. She couldn’t kill herself. That wasn’t her way. She tormented those around her; she didn’t take the cheap way out. And to even suggest that she would take her life would have a person on their back. No, Eden had to make the threat; it probably comforted her to know that she could say that even though it really meant nothing. Aegean shook his small sandy brown head as he found himself once again forced to follow Eden so they could stay close as she stormed out of her room and out of the Academy dormitories. Outside it was completely dark. The night had set itself up upon the world and the moon shone down as the only real beacon that Eden would pay heed to. Not that Eden needed light to know where she was going. She knew Manna about as well as anyone else on the island. She had been to Abyl’s house before too so going now was nothing new.

Eden pounded on Abyl’s door. She was tempted to just slip in, a shadow in the darkness, but no, she wanted to yell at him. She wanted to demand of him what gave him the right to act the way that he had. Her arms were crossed over her chest and her eyes were narrowed in a dangerous rage as she stood at Abyl’s door waiting for him to open it up. “Open up Abyl!” she yelled at the door. “Open up right now goddammit!” She had a sick and twisted urge to be the kitty cat hunting the mouse and taunt him with the words: Come out, come out wherever you are. The thought of the words had her lips twisting in a little smirk. It was tempting, but she waited standing. She heard him curse inside as he stumbled around the dark house to the door. Good, he was awake and now he could try to be as pissed off as she was.

As soon as the door was open, Eden shoved through the entry and past Abyl before rounding on him. She opened her mouth to yell at him when she actually got a look at him. Though she would never admit it, Abyl was a sexy man (for an angel). His brown hair was mussed with sleep and his dark eyes were still a little hazy, but alight with his intelligence. He was bare-chested displaying a body that was honed and muscular. It was no wonder that the sluts of the island were attracted to him. But, dammit, he was her lawyer and only she would ever get to be near him (even though she would never say that she wanted him). “Eden, are you here to give me a Valentine’s gift already? I know it’s after midnight, but really you should wait until morning.”

Eden sputtered, her face twisting in rage. Abyl was the only human who called her Eden and got away with it on a regular basis. She didn’t know why she let him. It was getting him too damn uppity. “I’m not here for any of that romantic bullshit,” she snarled eyes narrowed in anger. “I’m here for my damn journal!”

Abyl sighed and shook his head. “I think I’ll keep that for now. Would you like something to drink?” Abyl walked towards her, hooking his arm around her thin waist as he went, dragging her along with him. Eden growled and opened her mouth to say something only to have a finger pressed to her lips. The sensation sent something through her that she ignored. She didn’t feel nice emotions. She was Caine the Bitch Queen who hated everyone. It was about time she reminded Abyl of that.

“Dammit Abyl I came here for my journal and I’m not leaving without it,” she snarled. Abyl’s smirk grated at her nerves and had her gritting her teeth. It was as if whatever she had said had been exactly what he wanted. Abyl’s arm snaked away from her waist and Eden shoved at his hard chest only to find herself falling backwards instead. She always forgot how strong her really was. She fell onto a couch and looked around annoyed. “And why the hell are we in your living room?” she demanded.

“You said you didn’t want anything to drink,” Abyl said with a simple shrug looking down at her.

Eden scrambled to her feet and shoved a finger at his chest. “Enough of your games,” she snapped. Abyl grabbed her finger and Eden found herself unable to wrench her from finger from his grasp. “Fucking bastard let me go!”

Abyl’s arm slid around waist once again pinning her to him. “But you said you weren’t going to leave until you had your journal and since that won’t be for a while, I’ve decided to enjoy your company.”

The young half-breed gritted her teeth. “Stupid fucking angel lawyer bastard,” she hissed. “Don’t make me hurt you,” she threatened.

Abyl laughed. “You won’t hurt me Eden. You love me.” Some foreign and usually ignored region of her mind piped up agreeing very adamantly, she did love him. She squashed it with only a moment for a second-thought to pop up and start sowing doubt in the rest of her mind.

“I do not,” she said with a curt nod of her head allowing brown curls to bounce around her face. “I tolerate you, though after tonight I might just shove you back to the hate category.”

Abyl shook his head. “I don’t think so little Eden. I know you love me. Why don’t you just admit it and make it easier on the both of it.”

She wasn’t going to say it. She started at his dark eyes. She refused to give in. She had done that enough times before. She could do it now. She wasn’t going to say it. Her lips parted. She was going to chew him out. She was going to yell at him. She was going to call him something horrible or anything to distract her. “I so…do…fine Iloveyou! Are you happy stupid fucking son of a bitch,” she grumbled breaking eye contact with him and pouting.

Abyl’s finger caught her under her chin and tilted her head up so that she was forced to look at him. “Was that so hard?” he asked. Her narrowed eyes and thin lips were all he got in answer. Abyl closed the distance between them and pressed his lips to hers. She was bound and determined to make it awkward for him. That resolve last less than two seconds. Her lip began to slowly soften and open against his as she body responded against her will. She could remember to protest later she promised herself. Her eyes closed and her hands slid up muscled arms to rest on his shoulders. Of course if anyone asked her about it later she would probably deny it. But while Abyl had her she was lost.