Status: Working on it.

Deep End

oo3

Joe awakens the next day to a bright sunlit hotel room and the sound of his brother talking on the phone. He guesses that it’s around six in the morning and he has to get up soon, but he allows himself to lie awake and think back to the night before. His memory is a little hazy, in fact, the more he thinks about it, the more confused he becomes as to what actually happened and what is a part of his imagination. The only thing that he’s certain of is that the girl, real or fake, was completely and undeniably perfect.

Rubbing his eyes, he sits up and arches his back to stretch it out. A yawn escaping his lungs, he reaches over to the bedside table and grabs his phone to check the time. 6:07, time to get dressed.

With much effort, he pulls himself out of bed and into the peach colored, beach themed bathroom. After relieving his bladder, Joe washes his hands and splashes some cold water over his face before looking at his unpleasant reflection. His eyes get big as he scans his exposed chest where several intense red marks are visible.

“Holy shit,” he whispers, running his hand over a spot on his shoulder that is especially tender.

Quickly, he grabs the white folded bathrobe on the counter and puts it on before walking out to his suitcase for a set of clothes. Rummaging through his belongings, he finds the only top that covers his entire torso and takes it back to the restroom along with a pair of black denim jeans.

After taking a shower, shaving, and brushing his teeth, Joe throws the blue Penn State hoodie over his head and pulls the pants overs his hips. Taking a fast glance at himself in the mirror to make sure none of the marks are visible, the door swings open and Nick walks in.

“Man, you can’t just come barging in here!” Joe exclaims. “What if I was doing something private?”

“Oh, right, right, like, I could have accidentally seen your dick or something! How horrible!” Nick retorts back, fixing his curls in the mirror before taking a seat on the marble countertop.

Joe can’t hold back his laugh even though he’s trying to seem annoyed. “What do you want?”

Nick looks up at him with a dramatic frown. “I just want to talk to you bro,” he pretends to wipe a tear from under his eye. “I mean… last night you told me you were going to be right back and you…” he does a few fake sniffles. “Didn’t come right back,” he breaks into a fit of sobs. Joe looks down at him with contempt.

“Shut up you pussy,” he scoffs and hits him in the head on his way out. Nick follows him, holding his ear.

“Ow? Can we not hit me?”

“Sometimes you deserve it,” Joe answers with a shrug.

“Whatever dude, all I’m sayin’ is that if the abuse continues, I’m going to have to inform mom.”

Much to his discontent, Joe lets out another laugh. “You might actually be the most annoying little brother ever.”

“Try funniest,” Nick corrects him. “Speaking of bad brothers, you were supposed to bring me back some Taco Bell last night, what happened to you?!”

Joe’s eyes snapped to Nick’s. “What do you mean what happened to me?” he asks defensively.

Nick puts his hands up in innocence. “Whoa dude calm down, we don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.”

“I mean, why do you think something happened? I just went to the pool.”

“Okay,” Nick agrees. “Whatever you say Joe, whatever you say.”

Joe mentally slaps his own face. No one even knows, he assures himself, stop making it such a big deal.

***

The sky is dark and gloomy looking as Joe stares out of the airplane window. It’s half past one in the morning and he’s exhausted but his mind still won’t let him rest. After a full day of looking for the girl from the pool with no luck, he’s off to another city, leaving behind any glimmer of hope that he will ever see her again.

Leaning his head back and closing his eyes, it seems like only seconds before he opens his eyes again to see that the plane has landed and it’s time to get off. After a big stretch, Joe reaches in his pocket for his phone. He fishes it out and switches the airplane mode off before getting his carry on from the seat next to his.

A vibration in his jeans causes Joe to get his phone out once more. There’s a text from one of his friends from back home. He opens it not expecting much more than a “hey”.

’yo dude… just saw your sex tape.’
♠ ♠ ♠
comment with "thumbs up" if you actually care about this story lol.