‹ Prequel: Angels and Kings

The Gotcha Girls and the Handsome Devils

Epilogue Chapter 3

(Callie)

*About 2 months and 3 weeks later*

"Non, it's time meet us at the hospital ok," I heard Travis say into his cell phone, "Breathe baby breathe."

I was trying to breathe like they taught me to in that birthing class. But obviously whoever came up with the idea that breathing eases the pain of childbirth must not have ever actually given birth or they lost a few brain cells from the pain. I was sitting in the front seat of the car trying to breathe but wanting to choke Travis instead. Why Michelle decided to wait until rush hour in the middle of the workweek in L.A. to be born is beyond me and our car had moved about an inch in the past 10 minutes.

"Travis listen to me. I don't care how you do it but if you don't get through this traffic I will be having this baby in this car, do you understand?"

He nodded looking terrified at my threat. Suddenly he pulled onto the shoulder and started speeding down past the traffic. Of course we only got away with this for 30 seconds before we heard sirens. Travis huffed and puffed in frustration, I held his hand afraid he might actually consider driving away from the cop. When the cop approached our car Travis rolled down the window. "I'm sorry officer but my wife is going into labor and we need to get out of the traffic and to the hospital now," he said pleading.

The officer looked further into the car saw me. "Ma'am are you okay?"

"Owww," I screamed, "Not really sir."

"Ok I'm going to get back into my car and turned the sirens on. Follow me to the hospital." Travis nodded.

With the officer's help we were able to speed down the shoulder and get traffic moved out of our way. As soon as we reached the hospital they put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me up to my room where I promptly requested an epidural.

"I'm sorry Mrs. McCoy but it's too late you're ready to deliver now," said the doctor.

"What?! Don't these things take time? My sister isn't here yet it's bad enough that my mom can't be here but I can't do this without my sister."

"I'm sorry Mrs. McCoy but you're baby is ready to come now and delaying delivery is bad for both of you. I'm sure your sister is on her way."

I gave up and pouted instead as the wheeled me into the labor & delivery room. Travis held my hand and kept trying to get me to do that stupid breathing exercise as the doctor and nurses prepared.

"Are we too late? Where is my sister?" Non's voice was music to my ears. The next thing I knew she was by my side. "Cal, I'm so sorry we got caught in traffic. I was so scared we were going to be too late. I yelled at Pete the whole way here."

"Thank you for getting her here for me Pete," I said to the figure lingering at the doorway.

"No problem. If you guys don't need me I think I'm going to wait out in the waiting room," he said.

I knew he was going to retreat as fast as possible. Not that I expected him to stay. I mean Pete and I were close but...not that close.

I know that the only way I was able to get through the pain was with Non and Trav there beside me. And squeezing Travis' hand until all the color drained from it. But it was all worth it the instant I laid eyes on her. She had beautiful cinnamon-colored skin, big brown eyes, and a full head of curly hair just like her daddy's. After she had been checked and cleaned up, Travis sat on the bed beside me and I handed her to him. They looked at each other taking everything in. It was love at first sight.

Soon Travis and Pete left to go get some food and Nonnie stayed behind with me. Non sat holding little Michelle in her arms in an armchair next to the bed. "She is so beautiful Callie. Look at how tiny she is," she said barely whispering not wanting to wake the sleeping angel.

"She is beautiful," I repeated. I hadn't been able to take my eyes off of her.

"I hope Pete will hold her when he gets back. He needs to get used to this."

"Yeah maybe we'll make him hold her...wait what do you mean?" She gave me a sheepish look. "Nonnie Lynn Wentz are you pregnant?"

"Maybe..."

"Ahhh," I squealed. I had to resist the urge to hop out of bed and smother her in a hug. "This is so great, we get to do this all over again; another baby shower, another nursery to decorate. How did he take it?"

"I told him right before Travis called to say you were going into labor, kind of a side reason why we were late. He took it better than I thought he would...he didn't faint or puke."

I laughed. "He just needs some time to get used to it that's all and he's got plenty of time to do that." She nodded. "Just think our kids are going to be the same amount of time apart that we are. You know that means you have some hard work ahead of you right?"

She looked puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"Well I already made sure my baby was a girl. Now you have to do the same. How are these cousins going to be like sisters if one of them is a boy?"

She laughed. "I'll see what I can do."

"Does dad and everyone know yet?"

"No I'm going to tell them soon."

"I just wish they were here. I can't even believe I'm going through a day this important without them."

"Oh my god there's my baby girl," said a voice suddenly from the doorway.

"Mom!" She rushed over and hugged me tightly, my dad and Mona not far behind. "What are you doing here," I asked.

"We were on our way here anyway. We were going to surprise you by flying in for the week and being here when Michelle was born but I guess she had other plans. Where is my granddaughter," she said rushing over and scooping the baby out of Nonnie's hands. Meanwhile, Dad and Mona came over to hug and kiss me.

"I'm sorry my surprise didn't work out exactly as planned," said Travis sheepishly kissing me.

"I can't believe you actually surprised me. Thank you so much."

"Oh Travis, Callie she's adorable," said mom her eyes welling with tears.

"No mom no crying. I can't take it," I said trying to calm myself so that I didn't start crying too.

"I'm sorry it's just that...it seems like just yesterday I was changing your dirty diaper and now my baby's had a baby," she said bawling.

My father quickly took Michelle from her arms as she rushed to the bathroom to blow her nose.

"Hey mom don't dry your tears yet. Nonnie has something to tell you all."

Nonnie shot me a look. I knew she hadn't planned on telling them today but I wanted us to all be happy for her and Pete together. She got out of the chair and walked over to Pete who put his arm around her. "Well...I was going to wait some to tell you guys but since we're all here...um...Pete and I are having a baby."

The announcement only caused my mother to start crying even harder.

"Congratulations sis," said Travis pulling her into a hug, "and bro," he added pulling Pete in for a "manly hug".

He stepped aside to allow the rest of our family to congratulate them and took Michelle from his mother's arms. He came and lay down next to me in bed with her on his chest and just watched as Nonnie fought back tears from both of our mothers crying and Pete resisted the urge to run. "I love you," he whispered in my ear, "I love both of you so much."

I smiled widely. I was so happy in that moment that I could just bust. I thought back to a time not all that long ago when Non and I were fish out of water on tour with these guys that we now think of as family and how it all began. Travis had promised me that summer would change everything and it had. There were plenty of times when Non and I thought our relationships wouldn't work, plenty of times when, in fact, I thought our whole family would fall apart from under us.

But now I can't remember how I could ever think that. I'm older now and much wiser. I realize that we were never in danger of losing it all. Everything takes work. It takes work to make a marriage work and to raise a child; it takes work to make a friendship work, and to keep an entire family together. As long as we are all willing to put in the effort then we'll never lose each other. I only hope that I can teach that to my daughter and to my niece (keep your fingers crossed) when they grow up. We maybe a crazy, mixed up, unconventional kind of family but it works for us and in the end that's all that really matters.

THE END
♠ ♠ ♠
All good things must come to an end. It has been a lot of fun writing both Angels and Kings and The Gotcha Girls and the Handsome Devils. We hope you enjoyed reading them as much as we enjoyed writing them. We want to thank everyone who has read and commented on our stories we greatly appreciate it. Please check out Mrsmiloventimiglia22's numerous other stories : - P and Mmm_whitechocolate's stories (coming soon to a computer screen near you).