Early Sunsets Over Newark

Understand

I didn't plan on telling them anything, ever. Nothing about the black eye, the pills, the savings account, or even the basement. These things were now void. They were now non-existent to any form of life. Instead, I deleted these things from my life, hopefully for good. Inside of the restaurant, we all grabbed a booth and shared a menu. Ray took his time coloring a picture of a waffle with a face and sneakers. He seemed content, and quiet. In fact, I hadn't had the privilege of speaking with him, ever. I looked over it for now, and instead tried to decide from their non descriptive choices.

By the time the blond, long-legged waitress came back to attend to the table; everyone was ready to order. Everyone but me. Gee ordered the breakfast deluxe with pancakes, eggs, bacon, and toast. Ray ordered a stack of pancakes. Sammy ordered the gluten free waffles with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and strawberries. Bob ordered the breakfast supreme, with everything. Mikey ordered bacon and eggs (sunny side up), and when it came my turn to announce my eating habits...

"I'll have some breakfast ham."

It was fun, in a strange way. As a child, I used to eat at the Waffle House every sunday with my dad. I can remember he'd give me two quarters for the jukebox and order me hash browns, eggs, toast, and bacon. Back then, we were happy. This was sort of like that. Everyone laughing, smiling, enjoying greasy road side food. It was like a crazy dream. You're not supposed to be eating breakfast with your favorite band. It just never happens. Unless you're me.