If You're Reading This...

Hate

Hate is such a strong word. Personally, I haven't really hated many people in my lifetime. A woman at my old church who never shut up, a man i once dated, a distant relative. All for the same reason: they're annoying as hell and can't keep their mouths shut. But even though i don't hate alot, one person tops my list. Her name is Doctor Joann Beter.

I didn't hate her for nothing. She worked in genetics with me and Jon. She was always trying to screw with us, switching our lab papers, chemicals, and such. She always wanted the spotlight. I believe she is the reason for the whole mutation. She must have switched some chemicals and messed with the whole cure. And I believe that that is a good enough reason to hate her.

We heard the knock and rose. I thought it might have been another corpse passing by, banging on the walls. But then came the mummering of voices and another rap at the door. I made my way over slowly, peeking through the hole. There were 2 men in SWAT jackets and, who else but, Doctor Joann Beter.

I cautiosly opened the door, making the slit just big enough for them to see my face. I asked them what they were here for, my eyes darting back and forth. Chris called to me, asking who it was. He and Veda approached cautisly, Chris tightly grasping Veda's wrist. I told them it was alright, and it appeared as though help had arrived.

I turned back to the men and the Doctor standing outside. One of the SWAT members asked if they might come in. I said yes, carefully removing the chain from the door. I flicked on the lights. They came in, their mouths and eyes awide with shock. Their eyes swept over the room, taking in the broken furniture, bloodstained walls and carpet, and the broken bodies of the enemy.

I waited for them to finish, standing with the children by the door. Finally, they had taken in all they could and began to talk to us. They explained that they were here on a search and rescue mission, and that they had about 6 other survivors in one of the labs they were using as a safehouse.

I could not believe that so far, out of all the labs, they had only found us and 6 other people who were still alive. The results of the infection sent me into a state of wonderment. I began to think about the world outside of the lab, about all the people who were being infected as we spoke. I asked them if they had been outside the labs yet. One of the SWAT officers said he had, and the the extent of the damage was worse than we could imagin.

I told them that we needed to go. I wanted to find a lab that was still working and try to find a cure. I told them to take Chris and Veda to the safehouse while i looked for a lab. One of the SWAT men gave me a gun. Chris fought back, saying he wasn't letting me go off on my own. I told the officers to restrain him, a turned out of the door, listening to him fight against the officers, trying to come to my aid, with tears in my eyes.

Just as I exited, I heard the door creak behind me. Turning back to the room, I just caught a glimspe of a mangled body slipping into the room. I heard Doctor Joann scream. I heard bullets fly.

And there was nothing I could do but run.