Status: Hiatus

The Angel's Tears

Layla

"LAYLA ELIZABETH ROGERS! Come here right NOW!"
Layla most certainly would not go there right now. Trembling in the corner of her room, she tenderly stroked her most recent bruise on her shoulder, wondering how long it would take for him to find her. Five minutes? Ten? As terrified as she was, she just wished it would happen already. Layla knew what was coming...just not when. The wait was almost too much for her to take.

Finally, she heard heavy footsteps trudging up the stairs and down the hall. Doors were wrenched open and then slammed shut as her father continued his search, calling her name. "Laylaaaa...you know you can't hide from me forever..."

Suddenly, her door burst open, and she braced herself for what was to inevitably come. Layla knew her father had been drinking. A lot. His eyes glowed with a drunken rage as he spotted her curled up in the corner of her room. He stumbled drunkenly over to her and grabbed her arm, pulling her up to a standing position.

"How dare you run away from me!" he shouted, slurring over the words, "Did you think I wouldn't find you? Did you really think you could get away?" He threw her against her bedpost and dragged her back up by a fistful of hair. He looked right in her face, breathing rancid, beer-stained breath so foul Layla's eyes began to water. "I will always find you...wherever you hide."

He raised his fist and everything went dark.

~*~*~*~

By the time Layla awoke, the sun was already beginning to show its face behind the trees of her backyard. She sat up, but quickly laid back down for she was suddenly overrun by a terrible headache. Wincing slightly, she gently felt the lump that had formed under her hair the previous night. Slower this time, she got up and opened her bedroom door slightly. Muffled snores could be heard from her father's room as he slept away last night's accident as he would call it later.

Sometimes, Layla truly hated her father. He had turned away from her right after her mother died and, since then, has turned towards alcohol. Now he was beating her almost twice a week, sometimes more. But Layla knew he was hurting. Maybe even more so than she was. And he wasn't always like this. Her father used to give her warm hugs and told her stories...but that was then. She was seventeen now, not the cute little ten year old she used to be. She could take care of herself without him.

Layla grabbed a granola bar from the counter and slowly nibbled on it as she exited out the front door. Since it was a Saturday, she didn't have to worry about her father waking up until at least noon. She made her way down the road, playing with some words to a poem she was writing, and found her way to the center of town and went into the library.

Layla loved the library. It was always so quiet and peaceful, and no one here would ever tell her to make some dinner or wash clothes or clean the house. In here, she was free. Layla soon found an open computer and decided to open up a chat room. She needed someone
to talk to and she didn't care who as long as they listened longer than five minutes.

~*~*~*~

To: JWow@yahoo.com
From: SilentAngel@charter.net
Sent: Sat 9/12/09 8:11 PM
Subject: hi?

Dear JWow,

You probably don't remember me...I mean we only just met in that chat room thing so you probably forgot. Seriously, why would you remember? It was just a random thing right? Anyway, I remember you...well...i mean that you were nice to me while we were talking and that was pretty....umm....nice. So I just wanted to return the favor and say hi so...hi. You know, I heard that you tell secrets to strangers more often than you do with your friends, but I don’t think so. Maybe we'll see. You don't have to write back if you don't want to though.Love,From your friend, Sincerely,
Layla (silentangel@charter.net)
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe please! = ]