Status: Complete

Invisible

Don't Go

I stood on the front steps of my home, it’s been a month since I last been here. I could hear the laughs of my little brother; I could see the smile planted on my mother, the music playing in the living room, and Richards chuckles. It’s only been a month, and they are acting like a happy family.

I stepped threw the door, giggling when I saw Richard pinning my little brother to the floor and Aaron laughing uncontrollably. My mother in the kitchen fixing dinner, with a distant look in her eyes, but a smile planted on her lips. I stepped into the kitchen to watch her cook; she was mixing the salad when I touched her shoulder. She looked out the window where a picture of me stood on the seal of the window. It was a picture that I used on my invitations for graduation.

“Everything is going so much better now baby girl. Richard is happy, Aaron finally has his father. You would love it here baby.” She smiled.

I smiled, “I love you mom.” I whispered as I pressed my lips to her cheek. She sighed as she took the salad bowl to the diner table. She called the boys to eat while Richard walked to the bathroom to wash his hands.

I turned around to Aaron scowling at me; I looked around me but saw nothing but the living room.

I shrugged, “What?” I mouthed. He just shook his head.

My mother was placing food on his plate when she caught his expression, “Is something wrong honey?”

Aaron smiled, “Nothing mommy.”

She smiled and placed the spaghetti on his plate, when Richard sat down on the other end of the table; serving himself. Then he extended his hands and bowed his head. They prayed now?

“Dear heavenly father, we ask that you bless the hands that made this food, and heal our hearts that still grieving over the loss of our dear Lindsey. In your name we pray. Amen.”

“Lets dig in!” my mother giggled. Richard smiled at her and Aaron.

“Now son after dinner, 30 minutes of play then off to bed. Understand?”

Aaron nodded, “Yes yes yes yes!” He sang.

I giggled and watched my family began a conversation. Richard talked about work, my mother talked about her sewing class, and Aaron talked about school. When dinner was over, Richard helped clean the kitchen then took my little brother up for a bath. I sat on the floor next to Aaron while my mother and Richard read his favorite bed time story, “Oh the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss. Aaron glared at me at every chance he saw me. I cocked my head or stuck my tongue out at him every time he did. Richard and my mom kissed him goodnight and shut the door.

“Now what is your problem?” I asked him.

“I don’t want to talk to you.” He whispered.

“Why not? Are you mad at me?”

He nodded, “Yes.”

“Why buddy?” I scooted closer to him but he moved away. “Aaron this is killing me. What’s wrong? Is it because I haven’t been around much?”

He nodded, “Yes. You were gone for a month Lindsey.”

I sighed, “I’m sorry honey. I had to do other things.” I was scared of him being too attached to me, and that’s the real reason why I wanted to stay away from him. But I couldn’t tell him that.

“Like?”

“I just had things to do honey.”

“You know I’m seven years old. I’m a big boy! I want to know big people things.” He crossed his arms.

I giggled, “Big people things huh?”

He nodded, “Yes and it’s not funny.”

I sighed, “You’re right. Ok what do you want to know?”

He beamed, “Really?”

I nodded, “Really.”

He sat on the floor beside me and bowed his head, “What really happened to you Lindsey? Mommy said you went to live with the angels for a long time and one day we’ll see you. What happened?”

I twiddle my thumbs and took a deep breath, “Well I was murdered.”

He gasped, “Murdered? Like…Jazz from Transformers? When Megatron kills him?”

I smiled, “Yes honey. Like Jazz.”

He took a deep breath, “Who did it?”

I reached for his hands and squeezed them lightly, “Someone evil Aaron.”

“Like who?”

I opened my mouth to say something but a small voice in the back of my head kept my mouth shut. “Well….lets just say Sam didn’t catch all of Megatrons evil robot friends.”

He scowled, “That’s not fair. I hate him.”

I nodded, “Me too.”

Aaron crawled onto my lap and wrapped my arms around him. I pressed my face into his hair and cried slightly while he hummed a lullaby to me.

After an hour Aaron was fast asleep in my arms. I carried him carefully to his bed and tucked him in. I kissed his forehead with my hand rubbing his hair.

“I love you buddy.” I whispered.

I was at the door when he whispered, “Don’t go.”

I froze, “I have to Aaron. I’ll be back.” I couldn’t bring myself to look at him again. I just couldn’t stand to see the pain in his eyes.

“Please sister?” he begged. “I won’t be able to sleep.”

I turned slowly with tears streaming down my face, “Just for a little bit honey.”

He smiled, “Ok.”

I sat beside him rubbing his hair until his eyes drooped closed again. When I was about to make my exit Aaron reached for my hand and hugged it gently to his chest. I sobbed quietly, “Oh little brother. I didn’t want to do this to you.” I whispered. I wiped away the tears with the back of my left hand and rubbed his hair again.

“I’m so happy you’re here Lindsey…” he whispered in his sleep.

I nodded, “You have no idea how happy I am to be here.”

I laid my head down beside his and cried…..
♠ ♠ ♠
I cried just writing this...