Status: finished

Fly Until You Crash

halfway sober.

It was the last day of summer before senior year started. The last day of freedom before being lunged into a year that most would turn into a hunt for a college, financial aid, and “finding yourself.” Most students would take this final year of being a child to try and establish a sense of independence from their parents. They would assert themselves, claiming that they were always right and that they had to make mistakes for themselves so they could learn from them. Many parents would give their children more lenience this year, claiming it was “good for them.” No parents expected their kids to go down the wrong path before they entered the real world.

Slade Echeverria had awoken on that final day of summer in a bed that was not his own. He was still half drunk from the night before, and his best friend was curled up in a ball beside him. He smiled at her before leaning down to find his shirt. He went to the bathroom before waking Addie up. It was his last day to hang out with her before she got uptight about school again. He had practically forced her to that first party at the beginning of summer, but the six shots she took were all her own idea. From that night on, she was the life of every party for the rest of the summer.

Addie Mueller was not a typical partier. She was a straight A student, was always home by curfew, and had her college and career path pick out since freshman year. She had been admitted early into UCLA for teaching, where she would study to become an English teacher. Her biggest dream in life was to become an English professor, and she knew she had to really work and focus to attain this goal. She figured that she deserved at least one summer of being a teenager, so she turned to her best friend to show her how.

Slade and Addie’s friendship began as a forced one. Their dads worked together, so when they were younger they were often dragged to the same holiday parties and soon their mothers became good friends, and because they were the same age, they were assumed to become best friends as well. At first, neither wanted to be around the other for the fear of getting cooties. Once they turned eleven and became a little more mature, they started to see that they had some things in common. They started to ask their moms set up play dates, which overjoyed the parents because it gave them an excuse to go out.

When the pair were fifteen and freshman in high school, they tried dating each other. The relationship only lasted a week before it was decided that they were more like siblings than significant others. After Addie decided on her future career, she focused more on school and less on hanging out, which turned Slade toward a group of friends that drank and smoked. Addie gave him hell every time he would tell her about his weekend, but she knew that he would never go overboard and do anything too stupid. She also became friends with his group and the few times she got dragged to a party she enjoyed herself.

Addie groggily woke up as her best friend lightly hit her back. She swatted him away, also still not completely sober, and complained that she wanted to sleep longer. When she opened her eyes and saw the time, she quickly shot up.

“Shit, it’s already one? I told my mom I’d be home by ten,” she mumbled as she collected her discarded pants and shoes from the floor. Slade laughed at her rare moment of not having control and received a glare in response.

“Let’s go grab some food before I drop you off. It’s the last day of summer, live a little,” Slade grinned.

“I’ve been “living a little” all summer. It’s time to buckle down,” Addie replied in a huff. “But if you’re willing to pay I’m up for getting something to eat.”

Slade smiled at her response and led her out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay new story! :) I like the ideas I have for this a lot, but I still don't know exactly how it'll turn out. I can tell you it's probably not going to be how you expect.

Updates will be slow until Stephen is finished.