Status: finished

Fly Until You Crash

so shut your mouth.

For the next week, Addie talked to and about nothing but Justin and her upcoming date. On Wednesday, she attended Anarbor’s weekly band practice and did nothing but text him the whole time. On Thursday, she went out to dinner with Slade, and gushed about how “awesome” Justin was, and Slade did everything he could not to go off on her.

“Before this guy, the only thing you talked about was school, and how I should go to college, and that was annoying. Now, I’d gladly take that speak over you telling me the same, pointless facts about this kid over and over,” he spoke through clenched teeth.

“Well, I’m sorry I’m not allowed to be excited about meeting a guy I actually like,” Addie replied quietly, retreating to her silently angry mood. Neither said anything for a few minutes, before Slade broke the seemingly awkward silence.

“Look, I didn’t mean it like that babe. You know I’m happy for you, it just gets to be too much when the conversation always turns to him. I didn’t mean to yell at you, I’m a dick, I’m sorry,” he quickly apologized, not wanting to get Addie in one of her moods. She was known to hold grudges over nothing, and the last time she didn’t speak to Slade for almost a week.

“You don’t have to apologize, I know I’m freaking out a bit, I’m just really excited,” she confessed, going back to her salad. “I won’t date him unless you like him, you know. We should hang out this weekend. Everyone, not just us three. That would be weird.”

“Sure. I will be threatening him, just so you know.” Addie rolled her eyes at Slade’s attempt at being macho.

“Course you will.”
------------------------------
Addie toned it down at school on Friday, only starting up again during last period gym. Slade, not wanting a repeat of the previous night, busied himself with volleyball so he could tune out his best friend as much as possible. On their way home from school, he gave her a quick pep talk, as she was starting to doubt herself and think the date was a fluke. Once she was calmed down, Slade left and she started getting ready. Justin showed up at her house at 5:30 for their six o’clock date, and he was forced inside and interrogated by her parents. After fifteen minutes of questioning and small talk, they made their way to the restaurant for dinner.

Once they were seated and settled, they looked over their menus. Addie couldn’t decide on what to eat; she, as usual was overthinking everything. If she only got salad, Justin would think she was uncomfortable with her body. If she got a hamburger, he would think she was fat. She finally settled on chicken fingers with a side salad instead of fries, while Justin ordered a cheeseburger.

“Not the most elegant first date food, but I like it,” he smiled. Addie practically melted every time he flashed his grin at her.

“Eh, I’m not judging. I eat what I want most of the time, too,” she said, trying to make herself seem less boring than she thought herself to be. It wasn’t working so far.

“Well, that’s good. I hate girls who starve themselves because they think they’re fat.” Addie mentally hit herself for thinking that he would care, while nodding to agree. Next time, she would go ahead and order that hamburger she so badly wanted.

The two continued to make more small talk over the next hour, Justin continuously making Addie laugh, and Addie watching what she said to make sure she didn’t seem like too much of a nerd. Addie brought up that her friends wanted to hang out and meet him, and he said that he’d be up for getting together anytime that weekend.

“There’s one other thing you should probably know before we start hanging out a lot,” Justin start. Addie nodded her head, thinking of course there was something wrong with him, it was just her luck. “Besides me smoking cigarettes a shit ton, which I am trying to stop, I smoke weed every once in a while too. I know a lot of people hate that.”

“Oh no, that’s not a problem at all. I mean, I don’t smoke personally, but all the guys do,” she rushed, sighing in relief. It wasn’t her ideal situation, but it could get much worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
Erg I'm sorry I've been slacking so much with this...I'm having trouble thinking of how I want everything to play out in this, so writing's not coming easy. I hate posting something when i don't write a stock chapter, but I had to get something out. This may be a lot shorter and not quite how I wanted it to be that originally planned.

Oh, and this Justin character is not Godsey or Garza or anyone, just a name I felt fit the guy haha.