The Mystery of a Heart

02. I Hope So

I was not prepared to quit my job when we pulled up to Tallum’s, the café where I waitressed. “Someone else wanna go tell them for me?” I turned to look at my brothers, my best friend, Ben, and Dave; all five were shaking their heads no vigorously. “I guess that’s a no.”

I stepped outside and took a deep breath. The building was older, but beautiful in its own right. The bricks were deep red, some more faded than others, and there was a collage of civilian artwork that the owner hadn’t washed away. There were mismatched tables sitting outside, with chairs that didn’t match either, and tattered old umbrellas. The inside was the same, only with pictures of customers covering the walls.

Yet as I walked in, calling out greetings to the regulars I saw, the place was packed with the night crowd. I suppose the charm of the place really was too much for people to resist. My friend Katharine was working, so I stopped to say hello/goodbye/let’s get drunk when I get back, and then made my way to the back where the owner’s office was located.

John Tallum, owner of Tallum’s, was not a very scary man in any sorts. He had salt-and-pepper hair that was balding in the back, a “home-cooking gut,” and spectacles. His laugh was exactly as I imagined Santa’s would be, and he loved to tease his worker’s like he did his grandchildren. When I entered his office he stopped his paper shuffling and grinned at me.

“Mixi, you’re late,” John told me, joking. “What’s up?”

I shrugged. “Oh, you know, quitting my job so I can drive across North America with my brothers and their friends so we can complete some bucket list,” I answered, trying to sound nonchalant about the entire affair.

John’s smile slowly fell and was replaced by a contemplative look. “How do you all plan on driving across North America?”

“In Penelope, the giant purple bus, sir,” I said. “She’s just outside if you’d like to see her.”

I led John outside to where Penelope was illegally parked. He took her in with a big smile. When he was done examining the bus, John took out his wallet and handed me more money than I deserved. When I tried to protest, and give the money back, he wouldn’t let me.

“Consider it your last big tip.” John gave me a wink and a grin, and went back inside.

Once back on the bus, I shared my story with Brianna, while everyone else listened on. We drove to my apartment, and Jonnie and Dave counted the money John had given me. The group decided to keep the money as emergency money, in case something bad happened with Penelope, or, Ben joked, in case someone got arrested.

“We have to make your packing quick!” Jonnie informed me, taping his wrist where there was no watch.

"Jonnie it's like ten already," I argued, pointing to my own wrist, where I actually did have a watch. It was a flip-open Tinker Bell one that I had bought for only five dollars. "I say that we crash at my house for the night and start tomorrow morning."

The four boys considered what I had said, and agreed. We climbed the four floors to my apartment (the elevator was so temperamental that one didn't want to risk it), and then spent five minutes jimmying my key into the lock until it clicked.

"We're definitely buying you new locks," Duncan said, his big brother side kicking in. "You just used a car key to open your apartment door; that's not safe."

"Thanks big brother," I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes. "I'm a waitress, what do you expect?"

As we shuffled into the front walkway, Ben muttered, "Still getting you new locks."

After settling in for a bit, and watching some television, Brianna and I excused ourselves so we could pack my things. I had a huge suitcase, which had previously been used to smuggle Brianna on a family vacation, and a smaller Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle one. Both remained empty as I sifted through my closet, trying to decide what to bring. I was a thrift-shop junkie, and therefore had lots of random pieces of clothing that most people hadn't seen since the 80's or earlier.

I began throwing cut-off shorts and skinny jeans into the larger suitcase. "So Bree baby, you still lusting after Jonnie?"

Brianna looked up, worried that maybe one of the four boys heard. When she was sure that none of them had, she closed my door and locked it. "He's just so cute."

"Ick." I wrinkled my nose. "Isn't it against best-friend code to like my brother?"

"Yeah, well what about your crush on Ben?" Brianna shot back, grinning when I blushed. "This little trip could be the start of romance."

"Sure it will be," I said, my voice laced with sarcasm, but as I folded my clothes and placed them neatly into my suitcase, all I could think was, Dear Lord, I hope so.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hey.
You should comment/subscribe/be amazing and tell us about your own bucket list.