The Mystery of a Heart

05. New York, New York

"You suck.” Dave sat across from me, a playful frown on his face. We were playing Scrabble, and I was kicking his butt.

“Nah, you’re just a crummy speller,” I replied, laying down another tile. “Now if you want to forfeit, I’ll understand. Losing can be a very degrading experience.”

“Don’t give in!” Jonnie shouted as Brianna giggled. The two were sitting on Jonnie’s bunk, looking at old photos on my computer. There had been a little too much giggling and squealing for my liking, but Dave, ever-knowing and intuitive Dave, gave me a look that silenced me before I could say anything.

“Davey, can we be the non-love struck ones, and stay sane?” I asked, picking up my phone and checking my text messages. “Unlike two people we know…because seriously, I don’t wanna be like that.” My neighbor had text me to say that my cat Oliver was doing well, and Katharine “missed me already.” I replied to both while waiting for Dave’s answer. Looking up, I saw him staring at me intently. “Stop looking at me like that!” I instructed. “You’re creeping me out!”

“Mixi, you haven’t been sane for years,” Dave told me. “You think I don’t know about your little crush on Ben?”

I threw a square, wooden A at him, my jaw hanging open. “Shut up!” I hissed, glancing towards the front of the bus, where Ben and Duncan sat, one driving, the other messing with the GPS. Luckily, neither seemed to have heard. If Duncan knew, he probably would’ve been really upset—I’d dated one of his friends before, and it hadn’t ended well, forcing Duncan, in his mind, to choose a side. Needless to say, he didn’t talk to that friend anymore.

“Mixi your crush on him is just about as obvious as Brianna’s,” Dave told me, as honest as always. “If you really think that Ben doesn’t know…well I guess you’re just oblivious.”

“Look guys, a huge beer can! Let’s get out and take pictures!” I shouted, glad that such stupid distractions existed in the States.

The bus lurched to a stop, and everyone raced out, eager to see the giant beer. Brianna and I hung back.

“He still doesn’t see it,” Brianna said to me, referring to Jonnie. “Then Dave asked me earlier if I still like Jonnie, and I said no, and he gave me this look. Did you say anything to him?”

I shook my head no, and thought about what Dave had said about being oblivious. “Brianna, if you really think that Jonnie doesn’t know…well then maybe it’s your denial that’s making him so oblivious.”

Brianna stared at me, a look of shock and disbelief on her face. “What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked, putting her hands on her hips, defensive.

“Maybe we should just man-up and say something to them, before someone smarter than us does. Seriously. If we keep saying “no” every time someone asks us if we like them…well it’s probably going to get back to them. Or worse, we’ll start to reflect what we say.” I paused. “Or maybe I’m just thinking about this way too much.”

“Definitely looking too much Mixi.” Brianna slung an arm around my shoulder. “Now let’s go get us a picture with a giant beer can, okay?”

I nodded, and we joined the guys outside, putting on our brightest smiles for the camera.

;;;

Two hours later, we had picked up the camera guys, and had a van full of producers and other workers following us.

“This is so stupid,” Brianna whispered to me as we tried to avoid the camera man. “I forgot about the whole TV show thing.”

“Me too,” I mumbled, going back to my book. The guys were used to the cameras, but Brianna and I had yet to cozy up to the huge hunks of metal and wire. “I’m going to read a chapter, and then take a nap. Don’t let them catch me snoring.”

Brianna gave me a mock salute, and then slipped onto Jonnie’s bunk, where my computer sat. I snuggled back into a more comfortable position, and wrapped Duncan’s blanket around me. After two chapters of Wuthering Heights, I closed the book and tossed it aside. I curled up into a ball, and closed my eyes, ready for a nice long nap.

Then the reality of sharing a bus with four boys set in.

“Mixi!” Duncan yelled. “Mixi, will you come up here for a minute! We need to discuss leather with you!”

I grumbled under my breath, and opened my eyes, only to find a camera right there. “You’re in my bubble!” I shouted, pushing the camera away. “No filming me while I’m in bed. Got that?” The camera nodded. “Good.”

I went to the front and sat down on the floor by Jonnie’s legs. He rubbed my shoulders, and it was like we were back home again. When we were younger, we always had movie night. No matter what, it was always just me, Jonnie, and Duncan. The Penn kids, sitting in the basement, cuddled with blankets and our various pets, watching movies. Duncan would sprawl out on the ratty old couch, while Jonnie sat by his feet. I sat on the floor, and let Jonnie rub my shoulders. When we watched scary movies, I could always tell when various parts made him anxious, or scared him, because he would always squeeze just a little too harshly, and I’d jump.

He kneaded softly as Ben discussed the plan of action for New York.

“You’ll be in charge of finding us a concert, and getting us tickets,” Ben told me, and I nodded. My part seemed easy enough. “Then Brianna will go with us to buy leather. According to Duncan, you already have plenty.”

“This is true,” I admitted. “I even remembered to pack it all. Go me.”

We talked about other aspects of the plan, and then I retreated back to Duncan’s bunk, where I sat down and read, until Dave ran back to me, excitement on his face.

“Mixi baby, welcome to New York!”
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's been a while... a long while.
Hopefully you like?