Status: Editing, but it is coming back Summer 2013!

Puppy Love

A Message

I watched as she left the room in a huff. She was faking that happiness, I could tell. Hell, I was the one that caused that reaction out of her. I couldn’t help that I turned into an asshole under pressure. And this was some odd pressure.
I leaned back in the bed, rubbing my face with my hands. My head ached, and I was sure it wasn’t a hangover. I didn’t remember even drinking last night, to be honest. But if what that girl said was true, my so called “dream” from last night wasn’t exactly a dream.
I racked my brain for an idea of what happened and hopefully more. I remembered going out with Ethan. Him hitting on our waitress. And… shit. She had been our waitress.
“Well,” I said aloud to myself, “Thanks for making me look like a pig, Ethan.”
“I wouldn’t say pig, my dear. Swine is for eating after all.”
I shot my head up to the door in front of the bed. In the doorway stood an older woman. She stepped forward, closing the door with her hell and presenting a tray of two tea cups and a pot of tea.
Her eyes were a steely gray that reflected her age. They were old, yet wise. And she was sharp despite the frailty of her body. She didn’t stand completely straight up, she had a little hunch to her upper back, but she hardly seemed that dangerous.
She set the tray on the bedside table, handing me a cup and saucer before taking one herself.
“You, son,” she took a sip of the tea, “Are more the predator than any other I know.”
Oddly enough, thought of the bounty hunter alien with dreadlocks popped into my mind. I knew what she meant though. Well, partially. I knew that she wasn’t referencing the movie, but that was about it.
I glanced down at my tea. It seemed like such a strange color yellow, almost golden. The old woman must have watched me slosh the tea around the cup and awkwardly sniff it.
She chuckled, more like cackled. “How ruse of me.” She set her tea cup down and reached for the bowl of sugar cubes. “Do you want some sugar? Perhaps some milk? Though, I’m not sure how that would taste in this tea. I like mine bitter, but a lot of the younger generation prefers sweeter things.”
“Where am I?”
“Among friends, my dear. Family even.”
I gave her a look before warily taking a sip of the tea. It seemed cold. And cold tea was always nasty.
“Too hot? Bitter?”
“Cold…” I set the cup aside as I watched the steam float up from it. I dipped mu finger in, and a shiver ran through my body. That was a bit crazy for me. These past few days have been crazy, actually.
“Tell me, my dear,” I looked up at the old woman, “How fair the skies?”
I felt a tug in my stomach. Great, the nausea was back. What the hell was up with this?
I swallowed before I answered her, “I don’t know what that means. What did the weather forecast say?”
She nodded. “Sunny, I do believe. Answer me something else., How old are you? You certainly seemed much older than our little James.”
“Uh…26. I will be 27 come December.”
I couldn’t describe the face she made. It seemed to be more confusion, if anything. But there was something else behind those eyes. Fear, perhaps? God, I knew I was getting old, but really? Did I seriously look that young. God damn…
“I’ll go see if I can heat this up some more for you, dear.”
And with that, the old woman just scooped up the tray and headed out the door. In all seriousness, my head told me that I should get the hell out of this place. Everyone was fucking weird. Even that Mai, which, by the way, my second head seemed to have a mind of his own when she was around.
I wanted to stay. Regardless of this shit show that just popped up out of nowhere. Something deep inside me told me I was safe here, belonged here. Wherever this
“here” was.
***

Grandmother stormed into the kitchen with the tea I had just made. Slamming it down on the counter next to me, she opened the microwave, placed the tea pot inside, and cranked the timer on for about five minutes.
“Cold already?” I joked, turning back to the grilled cheese I was cooking up.
Without a word, she grabbed my hand and placed the tea cup inside. If I didn’t know any better, I would have dropped the fine china to the floor.
“He doesn’t know what he is, Mai.” Her voice was low, laced with fear and darkness. “He doesn’t know, and already he has more power than anyone I know.” She took the cup from me, dumping the tea down the drain.
“You can’t mean that. He’s practically my age, probably older. I’m sure he would know his other half by now, Grams. The window of opportunity has come and gone for him.”
I flipped the grilled cheese over in the pan casually. It was slightly burned but a little charcoal never hurt anybody. I was sure he would be fine with it. The time for the microwave went off, and Grandmother went over to take it out. She placed it quickly and carefully on to the tray with the now empty tea cup.
“I don’t understand your fixation on defending this man, Mai. I sense great danger in the near future with him being this close to you. I don’t approve of it.”
“You’ve never liked any of my men.”
“But he is a Sthray. And I’m not using the lightened term for it.”
“Stray?”
She let out a heavy sigh, “Pick up a book once in a while, pup! Or, better yet, go to the Elders about the term. You might as well bring your little friend with you. I’m sure they will have some insight for him on how to spread his wings.”
I was silent for a moment, watching the steam rise up off the pan. “Is there something that you aren’t telling me, Grandmother?” I turned to face her, “Do you know what he is?” There was a little more earnest in my voice than I would have hoped for.
She pursed her lips together, as if unsure whether to tell me what was on her mind or to let it drop. I would have kept pushing though, and she knew that. Finally, though, she dropped her eyes. Her voice escaping past her lips in a deep throaty growl.
“The Ancient ones shall return when a battle between brothers is fought. The mightiest of them all comes first, soaring in a sea of gold.” Her eyes saddened, “Talk to the Elders, my dear. If they believe that you are ready to know, they will show you.”
She turned and walked away without another word. I knew that that would be the last of the topic until I spoke with the Elders. However, the only way I was to meet them all at once would be at the next clan meeting, which was at the next full moon. I would have to think of something. Fast.
Heavy footsteps echoed from across the ceiling. They traveled down the stairs and back to the kitchen. James rushed in, nearly taking me out. He was panting, hopefully not from the short run.
“What’s wrong kid? Grandma catch you doing the nasty with your girl?”
He shook his head. Taking in a few gasps of air, he finally spoke. “He’s gone. That guy you brought home, he’s gone.”
Apparently, I couldn’t think of a plan fast enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 5 guys! Yay! Keep reading, and please leave a comment on it. I love to hear what you guys think.

Thank you!