Cinderella Man

Decision

“Aubrey Davis?”

Aubrey was in her own little world, contemplating her actions. Was she really about to do this? Sure she was all for women’s rights, but she never imagined she would be making such a decision. With a sigh, Aubrey looked up at the blonde receptionist. Her light pink scrubs brightened her reassuring smile, as if she was telling Aubrey that what she was about to do was okay.

Of course it was okay! Aubrey was a grown woman. There was nothing wrong with what she had done to get to her predicament, and there was nothing wrong with what she was going to do. She had thought long and hard about her decision and, it may not be best for her, but it was the right thing to do.

Aubrey slowly stood up from her chair, throwing the magazine she had been starting at absentmindedly on the coffee table.



Marshall tapped his fingers on his desk, a sign of clear impatience. Where was Aubrey? Why was she late? He sighed as memories of yesterday slipped into his conscious. He couldn’t deny it anymore. He had to tell her how he really felt. He had to tell her that he loved her. But… where the hell was she?

Marshall’s eyes shot up at the sound of his door creaking open. Madison, his receptionist, popped her head in. “Mr. Mathers?”

Marshall made a quick wave of his hand, gesturing her to come in. He leaned back in his chair, watching the blonde woman intently. She cautiously stepped in. Marshall’s eyes landed on a letter she was clutching in her small hands.

Madison took a deep breath before speaking. “Aubrey told me to give you this,” she said as she held out the white envelope. “She gave it to me yesterday before she left work. She said it was important.”

Marshall took the envelope from her hands, thanking her in the process. Madison took it as her cue to leave and, with a nod of her head, she left his office.

Marshall sunk back in his chair. His stomach churned at the thought of what the letter contained. He ripped the envelope, anxious to read what she called “important.”

Marshall,

I know this should not be discussed in a letter, but I cannot stand before you with a stern face and say what I am about to write. It’s hard enough to write the words, let alone speak them.

I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work for you. Yes, you were a pain in the ass most of the time, but I’m glad to have had you as my boss.

On a more personal note, I cannot work for you any longer given our situation. What happened between us should have never occurred. This is the only way I see out of our messy predicament.

I would like to ask you one favor, though. Please, I’m begging you, don’t write a rap about me. And if you must, please don’t kill me in it :)

You will always be my favorite boss Slim Shady.

Love,

Aubrey

P.S. I lied during my interview. I’m pursuing a law degree. It would have never worked between us darling.


Marshall folded the letter with a heavy heart. She was really going to leave. It hurt him. It hurt him to know that he was right about her. He had hoped, prayed that she would be different, but she wasn’t. He knew if he let his guard down, he would get hurt. If he got too in to her, began to like her more than he should – he would get hurt. It hurt him. She hurt him.



Aubrey fidgeted with her thumbs as she laid on the cold exam table. She was pant-less with her “goods” up in the gynecologists face. This was more embarrassing then she imagined.

“Alright, this will be cold for a couple of seconds.” The curly haired gynecologist inserted a probe into Aubrey, her attention glued to the screen of a computer.

Aubrey slightly jumped from the sudden cold that hit her, but relaxed when she saw the gynecologist smile. “Well?”

The doctor pointed to the screen, “There’s your baby. It looks healthy.”

Aubrey followed the doctor’s eyes to the screen. There, in the middle of the grey area, was a small sac with an even smaller object forming in it. That was her baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got the greatest idea at work today!! Can’t say what it is, but it will be good. Promise. Anyways, Aubrey didn’t turn out completely heart-less, right? Once again, THANK YOU to all my amazing readers! I loved all your comments and you have no idea how much they mean to me. You guys are the greatest. Hope you enjoyed <3